Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I drink carbonated drinks at meals through a straw. That's like a trifecta of no-nos. I think a lot of these rules don't necessarily apply to us.

Yikes

I drink through bicycle bottles all the time. If you squeeze it air will get pushed into your mouth. The trick is just don't swallow the air. No problem.

Me too- never an issue

How far out are you?

25 months, but I've been doing that since probably 2 months out (except for the carbonation, waited 3-4 months).

Yikes

Eh, it's not a big deal for me. I'm close enough to my goal weight to be satisfied, so it obviously hasn't hurt me in any way. I'm not suggesting others do the same as me, just offering my experience.

I was told that for the rest of my life I cannot use a straw, chew gum, drink carbonated beverages or caffeine by my Surgeon's office.

I was told that for the rest of my life I cannot use a straw, chew gum, drink carbonated beverages or caffeine by my Surgeon's office.

I was told the exact same thing.

I was told the same thing, but I started using a straw this week and drink a lot more now then before.

I was told not to use a straw or drink carbonated drinks for 6 months. At 6 months to the day I tried a Diet Dr Pepper with a straw and it was perfectly fine. I try to only use them when it's necessary. I have real sensitive teeth so I always used a straw so I didn't worry about the ice hitting my teeth. Now I just get drinks without ice so no worries!

I say just try it. I tried a straw at about 3 months out and it hurt quite a bit so I knew I wasn't ready. Now it doesn't hurt at all. Trial and error, that's the best advice I can give. Haha. :)

I was told the exact same thing.

That's my plan also. New lifestyle. New me

I am two years out and drink from a straw occaisionally, I get burpy if I drink too much with a straw or drink carbonated drinks. I still avod drinking anything during my meals or right after.

This has come up a lot before and I say IMHO that the "no straw" rule is total BS. The fact is that when you suck on a straw you suck the Fluid up the straw and into your mouth where you typically exhale through your nose and minimize the air in the liquid and then swallow' date=' so I would say there is LESS chance of getting more air with a straw then with drinking with a regular cup. If you chug the liquid through a straw then MAYBE it's not for you.

Do what you want, I started out drinking through straws and have been for the almost 2 years post-op with no issues.[/quote']

I was told the same thing, but I started using a straw this week and drink a lot more now then before.

I have used the straw that came with my Protein drink when I didn't have access to a cup and was absolutely fine. I think I will not worry myself about the occasional straw usage!

I was told straws are fine, just watch your intake.

It's amazing how many different "rules" the docs have about this. My nutritionist told me NO STRAWS!!!!! LOL.....

i was told also not to use a straw for at least 6 months...this is to prevent excess air from going into the belly.

however i have alot of dental issues, and due to them, it is difficult for me to allow liquid to touch my teeth (VERY painful). so the way i drink DOES prevent liquids from touching my teeth however i swallow ALOT of air when i drink from a cup due to this. i actually swallow way LESS air when i sip through a straw...so i will be using one probably immediately post surgery.