Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breakfast Ideas

Does anyone have some Breakfast ideas that include Protein? Looking for something to eat besides Protein Shakes, eggs or dairy (all cause horrible side effects when I eat them) Thanks all!

Atkins has a few "Daybreak" Protein Bars that are REALLY good and only 2-3 net carbs, 150 calories and 10-15 grams of Protein. The ones I love are cranberry almond and Peanut Butter fudge crisp. They fill you up perfectly and you can buy a box of about 6 for about $6 at Walmart or Target. I go back and forth between these and 1% cottage cheese & fruit for breakfast.

Beans, Beans, Beans and you can make your own healthy refried or sauteed beans. You can add cheese to them too, yummy. Take one can of black beans and one can of red kidney beans or pinto beans. for your first time I would use one can until you decide you like it, add some salt, pepper and a little garlic powder or chicken seasoning to it and then us a potatoe masher to mash and squash them up really good in a bowl. You will be stirring and mashing at the same time. Then add 1/2 chopped onion to your frying pan with two tbls spoon of olive oil. Once the onions are sauteed, add your beans, cook and stir for around 10-15 min or until all the liquid is gone. Then eat them with some tortillas or whole wheat toast. I'm gluten free so no bread for me.

Oh forgot to mention you can also have the Beans for dinner or lunch. Just warm two corn tortillas add some cheese to the center , add your beans fold in half and you have healthy bean and cheese tacos. Enjoy.

Atkins has a few "Daybreak" Protein bars that are REALLY good and only 2-3 net carbs, 150 calories and 10-15 grams of Protein. The ones I love are cranberry almond and Peanut Butter fudge crisp. They fill you up perfectly and you can buy a box of about 6 for about $6 at Walmart or Target. I go back and forth between these and 1% cottage cheese & fruit for breakfast.

How far out (post-op) do you need to be before eating the breakfast bars?

I like to make oatmeal (the old fashioned kind, not quick oats) and put in some walnuts, apple (if my husband had it), some dried cranberries, cinnamon, and agave nectar to sweeten it. To get my Protein in that I mix in some unflavored Protein Powder.< /p>

I haven't had any Atkins bars post-op but I did them on my 4 month pre-op diet so I second that idea. They do have some good options. I would recommend the ones WITHOUT chocolate, as the fake-ness of it can get sickening after a while. They have an oatmeal square one that is amazing... heat it up for 10 seconds and it tastes like the Quaker ones. Not sure of the stats on it, though.

Also, Egg Face has some breakfast tortilla pizzas. Make sure you get low carb/high Fiber tortillas, of course. I've tried a few different combinations... warmed up Peanut Butter with Protein powder and some fresh sliced fruits, flavored ricotta with Protein powder (not sure if all dairy is out for you) with fruits. OMG, so good! I hate that PB is so high in fat because I love it and it's a good source of protein. Depending on how far post-op you are, you could try some toast too. I'm almost 8 weeks and have been eating it prolly since 5 weeks out. Low carb bread, Peanut Butter, cinnamon, almonds, sprinkle of protein powder.

I also really like turkey sausage crumbles (I think it's Jimmy Dean) if you can find something suitable to mix it with.

I really like the Protein bars from Quest Bars - they come in yummy flavors like apple pie or lemon or pb&j, and the nutritional profile is really great. You'll find the best flavor selection ordering direct from them, but they're starting to show up in GNC and Vitamin Shoppe stores, or you can use their online store locator tool. Just a few seconds in the microwave makes them really yummy.

I second the recommendation for the Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles - they'd be great with a little melted cheese. Or you could do ham or canadian bacon / cheese roll-ups. You can even grill the roll-up a little in a frypan.

Try a search for low carb pancake recipes (often made with cottage cheese). I also like the low carb pancake mix from Big Train, but it's not really high enough in Protein for me to have as more than an occasional treat.

Or if you can tolerate the egg in another form, look for low carb microwave "muffin" recipes - Eggface's blog has a lot of them, but they do call for an egg. They also have protein powder in them (provides the bulk for the muffin rather than regular flour), but it might be worth a try, and would help you use up protein powder if it doesn't cause you issues in another form.

How far out (post-op) do you need to be before eating the breakfast bars?

I just went in for my 4 mos check up and dr was the one who told me switch to bars since the shakes would cause dumping

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!! I will try swapping these in.

How far out (post-op) do you need to be before eating the Breakfast bars?

I started at 6 weeks - when I was released to regular foods. They are chewy, not soft.

I like to eat oatmeal for breakfast and I use my Adkins Protein shake to cook the oats and also I will add walnuts or pecans if I have them along with blueberries. ymmmmmy! Also, I have found Premier Protein Shake is good to make pancakes using whole wheat flour. Next, I will try the pumpkin muffins.

25053279.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I ate very soft scrambled eggs sometimes. You can cook them with a little cottage cheese to keep them moist and soft. I also made egg custards - I think the Eggface blog has a recipe, if not send me a message and I'll email you one. It's basically unsweetened condensed milk, eggs, a little sweetener (like Splenda), some cinnamon and/or nutmeg if you like those. Very easy, and very easy to digest, good warm or cold. You can also do plain greek yogurt - I like it with a bit of Protein powder mixed in, like the nectar cherry protein, or a banana flavor. If you don't have any protein powders like that, you can add vanilla protein and some sf Torani Syrup.< /p>

Beans' date=' Beans, Beans and you can make your own healthy refried or sauteed beans. You can add cheese to them too, yummy. Take one can of black beans and one can of red kidney beans or pinto beans. for your first time I would use one can until you decide you like it, add some salt, pepper and a little garlic powder or chicken seasoning to it and then us a potatoe masher to mash and squash them up really good in a bowl. You will be stirring and mashing at the same time. Then add 1/2 chopped onion to your frying pan with two tbls spoon of olive oil. Once the onions are sauteed, add your beans, cook and stir for around 10-15 min or until all the liquid is gone. Then eat them with some tortillas or whole wheat toast. I'm gluten free so no bread for me.[/quote']