Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

1. Sitting on the couch watching my then 7 month old baby crawl to the bookshelf- and having a hard time and breaking sweats just getting up off the couch to keep him from pulling himself up on the bookshelf and falling.

2. Watching Breaking Bad, and seeing Saul Goodmans obese bodyguard sitting in a chair and breathing loudly- commenting to my wife about it- and her responding to that by saying that I breath the same exact way.

3. Too many weight related issues- like losing erections, horrible varicose veins, high blood pressure, etc.

I love traveling more than anything, and I was on a family cruise to Alaska when I realized that I spent most of my time in my room because I was too tired and uncomfortable to leave the ship. It hit me that the chances of me losing all the weight I needed to was nearly impossible since I had access to expensive weight loss camps and programs and it had made little difference. I'm only 26 and that's not how I wanted the rest of my life to be. I started researching WLS and was thrilled when I found out about the sleeve. A little more than a month later I had surgery.

When my only grandchild told me she didn't like me rocking her cause my belly was to big and she would fall off my lap. Oh the mouths of a babe

My breaking point was seeing a current picture of my husbands ex-wife who had the sleeve a year ago. She WAS bigger than me but now looks amazing and according to my step daughter, she has lost 100 lbs!!! I saw her pic and said enough is enough. She was the 3rd person I knew and although I can't stand her, I had to admit she looked great!! I called my PCP the next morning and now I'm aiming for Aug 31st. :)

Jazziminna-- I go to on the 29 th of this month to set surgery shooting for mid August maybe we can be support buddies

For me it's the constant sticking with needles for my insulin and checking my blood sugar, being dependent on blood pressure pills and just being too big. I want to be healthy and fit, and this is my beginning!

While on a field trip with my son's preschool class, another little boy asked me, "how'd you get so fat?" I was mortified in front of all the other kids and parents... I was DONE!!! Been fat since 2nd grade. It was time to change!

1. I actually got hurt on a ride at Disney (strained my back) and I know it was because I got tossed around hard and strained my back. Spent two days on my back in the hotel while the wife and kids enjoyed Disney without me. No permanent damage, but a picture of what's to come.

2. High blood pressure, on meds now, and boarderline CHL and other stats getting close to the red needle.

3. I am hungry all the time. I have tried tons of diets / weight loss schemes. It wasn't until I bought a fitbit and started really tracking my movements, I realized I get 8-12K steps a day (work IT for hotels), but I still creep up 5-10 pounds a year.

4. Finally saw 300 on a scale.

5. Tired of that "up/down" snap judgement look. I think everyone knows the one.

I have a few:

• Taking flights where I was too embarrassed to ask for a seat belt extender and then spending the whole flight with an open magazine over my lap to hide the fact that my seat belt wouldn't fasten, and then ordering my own extender online as soon as I got home
  • Not being able to kayak on our family lake vacations because I can't fit in the kayak
  • Having to buy and take my own life jacket to the house where we spend our family lake vacation because none of the several already there would fasten or fit around me
  • Sitting in a wooden chair at someone else's house for book club and hearing a crack when I sat down

I could go on and on, but those are just a few.

I was carrying a steel chafing dish in my foyer, tripped and the dish hit a large ceramic pot which shattered and i fell onto a broken corner, lacerating my neck and facial vein, there was blood everywhere. My friend was there and called the ambulance. had emergency surgery. Was scary, knew it was my weight that caused me to fall soo hard. Felt embarrassed in front of my friend as the nurse doing intake asked what I weighed... in the 280s. The next month went to WLS seminar.

When my beautiful princess was born! I just had to be around to watch her grow up and to be able to play with with her

This has bubbled up, but the "last straw" is definitely when my docs are like "well, we don't know what to do anymore".

Two years ago I was playing roller derby, working 40+ hours a week, volunteering full-time at my church and carting around my teen to all her school events. I had to have leg surgery, and that's when it began. The surgery is 4-part, and the first surgeon did the 2 outsides of my legs and nearly maimed me...once i finally healed from that I found another doctor and we got going on the next step, after his surgery, i got a freak blood clot between the muscle and skin and almost got my leg amputated. So here i am from moving to nearly homebound, and then in that process my asthma took a turn for the worst, and then I had a cancer scare.

Long story short, I'm 34, I can barely walk or move, my asthma has caused me to be on oxygen 24/7 and I've had a hysterectomy because of PCOS.

I've always been big, but I've always been active, I got to my lowest in my adult life at 250 lbs. when I trained for a century and marathon over two years. I tend to naturally sit around 275, and that was never an issue until my freak medical problems over the last two years and now suddenly I cannot do anything and we are not sure how to fix things anymore except that weight loss might relieve some of the problems...not cure, but help me maybe get back into some sort of normal life.

The scale hit 300lbs.

My whole body ached

Felt like my knees would collapse

The plus sized clothing I wear was getting tighter and tighter

Sex was getting really uncomfortable

Harder to,take care of my personal needs

Always hot and sweaty

Rashes in skin folds, irritated skin

I could go on and on

It was time to look out for myself and stop the madness

Hi Smallbites, you are doing great!!! I know I could not have done this healthy loss without the bariatric surgery and am feeling so blessed, happy, healthy and more like my old (thin) self in many ways. Clothes shopping is fun, the airline seat was so much more comfortable last week traveling, I don't huff, puff and sweat profusely anymore and the compliments are humbly accepted. Please keep posting your progress should you be inclined and I think we all get inspiration from each other. Congrats again!