Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

For me it was the beginning of diabetes. It's such a terrible disease.

Me too. Diabetes runs in my family. I was Pre-Diabetic. I have RA too and since the surgery, my pain is so much less. There us a sense of euphoria when you start to lose weight. Good Luck.

I'm new to posting here, and I feel like this thread is a good place to start. For me, the straw was moving to beautiful Colorado and not being able to do all of the fun things here I want to do. I go hiking alone because I'm embarrassed that I'm so much slower than all of my fit friends. I'm uncomfortable in the seats at ball games and concerts. I can't go skiing because ski boots won't close around my legs. I don't go out because I don't want to be looked at. I've lost and gained too many pounds to count. I quit smoking earlier this year and put on another 15. I have constant back pain and get winded walking up a flight of stairs. But mostly, I'm tired of being tired. Okay, that's more than one straw. I received my insurance green light today and I'm scheduled for sleeve surgery next Monday the 27th. I'm excited, and scared, and happy to be here learning and getting inspired by you all.

Too many 'last straws' to count, but here's a couple -- son works part-time in the box office of a local live theater venue -- got free tickets to a wonderful performance I would have *loved* to have seen --- and I found myself asking him if the seating charts included the width of the seats -- humiliating to ask your son that -- husband ended up going alone because I knew I wouldn't fit in the seats - :o( Other last straw - doctor sent me to get a baseline bone density scan -- got there, checked in, finally was called back - first stop, scales -- over 340, but was pleased w/myself because I'd lost 9 lbs. Woman took me in a room, I thought to explain test and have me change into a gown or something -- but no, she very nicely (I actually felt bad for her...) told me that their machine only holds up to 300 lbs. I profusely apologized for wasting their time, kept a blank look frozen on my face so I wouldn't start bawling in shame and embarrassment, and managed to get out of their and hightailed it thru the waiting room to my car where I broke down in complete and utter despair and humiliation. But wait, the story's not over -- a couple weeks later, I got a *bill* for the procedure, which wasn't done due to my weight. I then had to call the insurance company and explain the situation -- yes, i did check in, but no, they didn't do the scan. "Why not?" And i had to tell the clerk on the phone why not. Ugh.

Too many 'last straws' to count, but here's a couple -- son works part-time in the box office of a local live theater venue -- got free tickets to a wonderful performance I would have *loved* to have seen --- and I found myself asking him if the seating charts included the width of the seats -- humiliating to ask your son that -- husband ended up going alone because I knew I wouldn't fit in the seats - :o( Other last straw - doctor sent me to get a baseline bone density scan -- got there, checked in, finally was called back - first stop, scales -- over 340, but was pleased w/myself because I'd lost 9 lbs. Woman took me in a room, I thought to explain test and have me change into a gown or something -- but no, she very nicely (I actually felt bad for her...) told me that their machine only holds up to 300 lbs. I profusely apologized for wasting their time, kept a blank look frozen on my face so I wouldn't start bawling in shame and embarrassment, and managed to get out of their and hightailed it thru the waiting room to my car where I broke down in complete and utter despair and humiliation. But wait, the story's not over -- a couple weeks later, I got a *bill* for the procedure, which wasn't done due to my weight. I then had to call the insurance company and explain the situation -- yes, i did check in, but no, they didn't do the scan. "Why not?" And i had to tell the clerk on the phone why not. Ugh.

Please think of all your embarassing experiences as your Angel's way of motivating you. We have to think of them as moments which galvanized our wills to get a bariatric procedure. After our procedures, every time we are tempted to break our diets because of "head hunger," we should remember how bad we felt at those embarassing times. We have all had them.

We must turn all of our negatives into positives. As bad as you felt at those times, you will feel just the reverse - great and happy - to the same extent except in the opposite direction when you are slim.

All the best.

I have 3 straws...

I was at my hair salon in November 2011 getting my hair colored and I went into the dressing room to put on a smock. None of them fit. I had to come back out of the dressing room and tell The stylist that they didn't fit. Next thing I know they are all looking throughout the salon for a clean smock that will fit. They couldn't find one so my stylist took his off and gave it to me (he's 6'3" and approx 240). I was 5'5" and 243. Needless to say I was so humiliated.

The next month I get a call from my dad who lives alone. He's 400 lbs and 6'3". He says he can't feel his legs (diabetic neuropathy). We go pick him up and he can barely walk. Then he falls at my house and he is so heavy that we can't help him up so we call an ambulance. It takes 3 large men to get him off the floor. Then it hits me. Watching my father in this state is what my little boy will be doing with me if I don't get things under control. I don't want to put him through what my siblings and I have gone through to get my father proper care. It was very eye opening.

In January, I start looking into WLS. This same month my little boy asks why we don't have any family photos. I made something up like I just liked taking pictures of him, but the reality is I never wanted my picture taken. This broke my heart. A few weeks into January and I run into a friend who had gastric sleeve surgery and she looked amazing. I decided that was Devine intervention a took the hint.

I had my 1st appt later that month and surgery in March. I still have problems with those darn smocks, but now its because they are too big for me. This has been the best decision I have ever made (outside of my marriage and my child of course)!

Thanks for reading.

Wow what a story! Welcome. Go for it.

You will not regret it.

Skikyd

The pain that I feel from carrying around so much weight. Not being able to walk the stairs or even play with my children.

I want to be here long enough to see them grow. Get married and give me grand babies!

The pain that I feel from carrying around so much weight. Not being able to walk the stairs or even play with my children.

I want to be here long enough to see them grow. Get married and give me grand babies!

Awwweeee Skikyd. My heart goes out to you. I love the new me. Only lost 31 lbs. So far in 1 month. I got the sleeve for me. No one else, but me. Congrats for a decision that changed your life for the better.

Nice to see Disney has such compassion for people who do not fit their mold of perfection. Not.

Somebody ought to get on their case. If that isn't discrimination, nothing is. Kudos to you for putting up with such insulting treatment with grace and style. You will take those qualities into your next "incarnation" into the world of the sleek and slim. You will be slender AND have compassion and grace. I have learned quite a bit being a fat woman. I will use my experiences in being overweight to be more understanding of others. I will use being fat as a life lesson.

Slightly off topic but I want to be sure people realize that Harry Potter is at Universal NOT Disney. I am at Disney 3-4 times a year partly because it is so "Pooh" friendly. Virtually all attractions can be enjoyed by even the largest people. Cast members have never made me feel odd in the least. The only issue I've ever had is having to step down into a ride like Splash Mountain but that's because if my knees not my weight. You will never have a Harry Potter moment in a Disney park.

Now back to you regularly scheduled programming ????

Nice to see Disney has such compassion for people who do not fit their mold of perfection. Not.

Somebody ought to get on their case. If that isn't discrimination, nothing is. Kudos to you for putting up with such insulting treatment with grace and style. You will take those qualities into your next "incarnation" into the world of the sleek and slim. You will be slender AND have compassion and grace. I have learned quite a bit being a fat woman. I will use my experiences in being overweight to be more understanding of others. I will use being fat as a life lesson.

Slightly off topic but I want to be sure people realize that Harry Potter is at Universal NOT Disney. I am at Disney 3-4 times a year partly because it is so "Pooh" friendly. Virtually all attractions can be enjoyed by even the largest people. Cast members have never made me feel odd in the least. The only issue I've ever had is having to step down into a ride like Splash Mountain but that's because if my knees not my weight. You will never have a Harry Potter moment in a Disney park.

Now back to you regularly scheduled programming ????

Slightly off topic but I want to be sure people realize that Harry Potter is at Universal NOT Disney. I am at Disney 3-4 times a year partly because it is so "Pooh" friendly. Virtually all attractions can be enjoyed by even the largest people. Cast members have never made me feel odd in the least. The only issue I've ever had is having to step down into a ride like Splash Mountain but that's because of my knees not my weight. You will never have a Harry Potter moment in a Disney park.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming ????

There wasn't really a final straw for me. At 62 I know my window for surgery is closing. DD got banded in August so I began to investigate alternatives with her this summer. Found the sleeve which I didn't know was possible. Met with the surgeon and have been approved by insurance. Now if I can get the sleep study done! ???? My surgeon is requiring it. I did the first one but they want to schedule a second follow up one before she will schedule my surgery. ????