Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

I'm not sure what your panty size gas to do with your shoe size, ( but you did post it 4 times, So I guess it is significant)

But keep talking dirty to me, I'll figure it out some day. I am just a simple uneducated, man from a small fishing village.

My baby brother (he wasn't 'little' any more since he had gained so much weight) died in his sleep unexpecedly a year ago due to being overweight. He was scary-fat, diabetic, high blood pressure and had sleep apnea - 54 years old. I am three years older, have very similar genetics and have also been scary-fat. This was my eye-opener. I lost 30 lbs over the last year on my own and I see it is now time to add weight -loss surgery to my tool kit.

I was absolutely pissed because they put my picture in the paper(after I begged them not to) for co-chairing an event that raised $5,000 for a new transport van for the local veterans home. When I realized how upset I was over a picture and that i was willing to not take credit for all the work, I knew I had to do something.

I was absolutely pissed because they put my picture in the paper(after I begged them not to) for co-chairing an event that raised $5,000 for a new transport van for the local veterans home. When I realized how upset I was over a picture and that i was willing to not take credit for all the work, I knew I had to do something.

Yes the fact that I would literally hide from the camera then get a picture was eye opening. So many years I was just "camera shy"

It was years in the coming - I kept thinking I could do this on my own as my world became more and more limited, my weight forced my health issues to the point of early retirement. I could hardly make it up one flight of stairs in my house, etc.

We took my long dreamed of trip to Alaska this past summer (2013). The plane ride out was miserable as I was so big the seats were horribly uncomfortable. My feet and legs swelled up while flying. On the cruise - my swelling only got worse and I could not do anything - even walking from one end of the ship to the other took several rest breaks. Port touring was next to impossible as walking was almost more than I could tolerate. My husband was so concerned because I was consistently out of breath and puffing - he is the one with asthma! The land tour was tolerable but just barely. I could hardly get in and out of the bus and the swelling just kept getting worse. Flight seeing trips in small airplanes were disappointing as I always had to sit over the wing because of my weight so views were obstructed. After two weeks in Alaska, the trip back from Fairbanks was the worst ever. I was in so much pain that I could barely walk to the plane. My legs were so swollen my feet hung over my shoes and the only way I could get the shoes on that morning was to lay flat on the bed and have my husband hold my legs straight up in the air and "milk" the Fluid away from my feet.

I swore when I got home I was not ever going on a plane or a tour again until I lost weight. I knew the only way left for me to do so was WLS.

I am now almost 8 weeks out and I already can climb the stairs without huffing and puffing, getting in and out of chairs is easier than I dreamed, and I've dropped a pants size.

The trip to Alaska was my "last straw."

I have been over weight all my life, after I married and had my children I became morbidly obese. I have lots of health problems, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, syringomyelia,fibromyalgia, arthritis, herniated disk, I have had surgery on my cervical vertebrae 5, 6 ,7. My liver enzymes were over 1000, and my blood sugars were uncontrolled. I also have fatty liver disease. When I went to my surgeon he told me that if I did not have this surgery I only had 7yrs to live.l was only 57yrs old and I was so shocked by what he told me I told him I wanted the surgery. This was in March 13, I went on my pre open diet in June @ the weight of 266, on July 29,13 I had surgery my weight was 242. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. It is 7mos and I weigh 182.I still have 72 lbs to go.

For me it was a gradual dawning that in not finally dealing with my weight I was placing limitations on myself. I've been overweight almost all of my life, and obese for the past 10-15 years. On meds for hypertension for years and just had to start metformin for "prediabetes". I was lucky enough to take a trip to Greece this summer and my knees were hurting so badly I could barely walk- I was determined not to miss the Acropolis, but it's quite a climb. I made it, but all the while I was thinking-when are you going to deal with your weight, once and for all?

The past 3 years have brought many changes to my life, loss of a beloved son to cancer, separation from my husband of 25 years, caring for our special needs daughter as a single parent-but I have finally realized that I need to take care of me, I deserve to take care of me and it is not selfish to do so. I know that it will not be easy, I realize that it is a lifelong commitment to totally revamp my relationship with food, but I am ready and excited to have an effective tool to use to assist me.

Being 41 with a baby that will be 1 in April.

Knees popping when I go upstairs

Feeling like I'm going to pass out if I rush for a train.

A friend of mine had it in May of last year and she has lost 100lbs. and looks so great.

I'm tired of dieting and losing a lil and gaining double.

I want to be active again because I wasn't overweight all my life. The weight has just been coming more and more.

I have to do this for myself my hubby which is planning to have it also and my boys. 11mos 9 and 14 yrs old. I need to show them a healthier lifestyle.

I didn't have one. I dove in head first with the feeling that I would not be successful. It was a leap of great faith. 91 lbs later and still losing, but mostly maintaining with little effort.

Not being able to buckle the seatbelt in the middle seat on a plane was mortifying yet wildly entertaining to the gentlemen I was stuck between!

:(