Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

A conversation with my 3 year old nephew:

Him: "What's that?" (As he jiggled my belly)

Me: my tummy

Him: why's it like that?

Me: because I'm fat.

Him: Why?????

Me: .................. Uhhhhhhhh............

I think you could hear crickets chirping after that. I started thinking, well... That's the way God made me. But no it's not. That is the way I made myself. This is MY fault, not Gods. That was my straw. I hope to thank that nephew of mine someday when he is all grown up!!!

A conversation with my 3 year old nephew: Him: "What's that?" (As he jiggled my belly) Me: my tummy Him: why's it like that? Me: because I'm fat. Him: Why????? Me: .................. Uhhhhhhhh............ I think you could hear crickets chirping after that. I started thinking' date=' well... That's the way God made me. But no it's not. That is the way I made myself. This is MY fault, not Gods. That was my straw. I hope to thank that nephew of mine someday when he is all grown up!!![/quote']

What a positive way to look at that. Children that age have no intention in being hurtful, just inquisitive. It is good to find inspiration in the young! Good luck!

Type two diabetes knocking at my door; back and knees hurt so much it was hard to walk; not fitting in the seatbelt in my husbands truck;barely squeezing into auditorium seats, and not being able to walk without getting short of breath - in short my quality of life was taking a big nose dive

So glad to have found this group! Thank you to everyone for your stories, comments, suggestions and encouragement.

I am a newbie...haven't even had my first consultation, but I am about to embark on this journey. Like many...I have tried every diet, every trick and every weight loss pill/shake/diet plan. I used to be happy with myself at 150 lbs. Then I was happy with myself at 160 lbs. Once I reached 190, i knew the party times were over and this was going to be a struggle. So...I started eating more.

I've gained 50 lbs in the past 24 months, with the help of opening a new business, my husband being diagnosed with Parkinsons, having to take custody of my 8 yr old grandson, while I watched my oldest daughter drink herself into the gutter. So...it's time to get help, or most likely, I'll find myself 6 ft under and of no use to anyone.

I have 12 beautiful horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats, a flock of chickens and 7 goats (3 of which were born on Halloween night!) and a beautiful little 28 acre farm in the country. So much to enjoy and be happy about...except I can hardly walk around the place, let alone enjoy a wonderful trail ride on one of my trusty steeds. And this saddens me even more, so I eat.

My next doctors appointment is December 31. I asked his opinion about bareatric surgery that last time I was in his office. He said he had many patients who struggled with obesity, that had very positive results with surgery. He told me to think about it some more and if I still wanted to proceed, he would refer me on my next visit. I don't think I want to wait until December 31 for the referral. I think I will call his office and ask if they can simply refer me next week.

Unfortunately, I have no insurance, so I guess I will have to take out a loan. I certainly can't sell a horse...you can hardly give them away these days! LOL

Thank you everyone, and I look forward to getting to know this community as I move forward with my personal journey.

Sue

Hi y'all,

I'm Debbie and I just saw my doc for the first time today. Kinda looking forward to this but kinda scared too.

Why am I doing this? Well, in 2002 I broke my tailbone and crushed my lower back. By the time I was fused 13 months later, the surgery failed. Called "Failure to Thrive". Basically means I'm in chronic pain. Because of the way I landed I was told I started a domino effect which is causing my discs to disintegrate known as Disintegrating Disc Disease. All my discs have failed. To help with this I have had 2 Neurostimulators implanted. Yes, I am a Borg. Lol.

A few years ago I was seeing a doctor 3x's a week for spinal shots and he unintentionally overdosed me with Vitamin D, which I am apparently allergic to in high doses. Go figure. Well, I ended up with Hashimoto's Hypothyroid Autoimmune Disease. Yay me! Like the back wasn't enough I guess. Yeah.

Hashimoto's see's the thyroid as a foreign object to be attacked by the immune system. Unfortunately, I gained a bunch of weight. (55 pounds!!!). On top of already being chubby. :( and it won't stay controlled or stabilize!! I either sleep all the time or I'm awake for days.

I had lost 65 pounds just before all that happened. It's just about broke my heart.

Anyway, I went to my pain management doc for more pain shots. But because I told her I was having chest pains she told me I had to see a Cardio doc first. I told her my a Endocrinologist said that was normal with Hashimoto's, she's like nope. Heart doc.

So I went. The first thing the Cardio doc said was a Gastric Sleeve to control the thyroid. Boy. What a moment. What a thought. Who knew??

So where I am, 10 days later starting my 6 month journey to surgery. So glad y'all are here!!!

I feel like I have so many "final straws".... But my final, final one? I will be 30 in April. I have a good job, I put in the time and take care of my work, my coworkers, my friends and my family but not myself. It's MY time now. I want to feel and look good and I want to be happy. I'm still thinking realistically, I Know this surgery can't make all my dreams come true...but I certainly feel like it's a stepping stone to getting me there :)

So glad to have found this group! Thank you to everyone for your stories' date=' comments, suggestions and encouragement.

I am a newbie...haven't even had my first consultation, but I am about to embark on this journey. Like many...I have tried every diet, every trick and every weight loss pill/shake/diet plan. I used to be happy with myself at 150 lbs. Then I was happy with myself at 160 lbs. Once I reached 190, i knew the party times were over and this was going to be a struggle. So...I started eating more.

I've gained 50 lbs in the past 24 months, with the help of opening a new business, my husband being diagnosed with Parkinsons, having to take custody of my 8 yr old grandson, while I watched my oldest daughter drink herself into the gutter. So...it's time to get help, or most likely, I'll find myself 6 ft under and of no use to anyone.

I have 12 beautiful horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats, a flock of chickens and 7 goats (3 of which were born on Halloween night!) and a beautiful little 28 acre farm in the country. So much to enjoy and be happy about...except I can hardly walk around the place, let alone enjoy a wonderful trail ride on one of my trusty steeds. And this saddens me even more, so I eat.

My next doctors appointment is December 31. I asked his opinion about bareatric surgery that last time I was in his office. He said he had many patients who struggled with obesity, that had very positive results with surgery. He told me to think about it some more and if I still wanted to proceed, he would refer me on my next visit. I don't think I want to wait until December 31 for the referral. I think I will call his office and ask if they can simply refer me next week.

Unfortunately, I have no insurance, so I guess I will have to take out a loan. I certainly can't sell a horse...you can hardly give them away these days! LOL

Thank you everyone, and I look forward to getting to know this community as I move forward with my personal journey.

Sue[/quote']

I pray you are successful in having the surgery. It is a life changing event!

I have developed adult onset asthma. I am an RN who works exclusively in the ICU. I have watched many patients over the years destroy themselves. Smoking' date=' obesity, uncontrolled diabetes. You name it. But the hardest part for me was realizing how much I felt bad for the loss of these wonderful people in the lives of their loved ones. Then I realized that I was going to be a statistic too. Another COPD patient who loved her family but forgot to love herself enough to let go of the fear and embrace the life God gave me. So I am doing this for me. As a wonderful side effect, I will be around longer to care for my loved ones instead of needing it to be the other way around.[/quote']

I too was recently diagnosed with asthma and COPD. I'm a unit secretary at a hospital and see all the obesity related illnesses and deaths. It's an eye opener. I also have acid reflux, over active bladder, hietal hernia. All my "conditions" will improve with weight loss. I'm so tired of being tired all the time. Come on Nov 22, let's get this show on the road! Good luck to you on the journey!

Lots of reasons, but the straw that broke the camels back was being so uncomfortable and miserable, one night I just prayed that I would go to sleep and not wake up. Realizing that my life was being lived wishing I was dead was a real eye opener.... Sleeved two weeks ago and down 23 lbs. Already feeling more comfortable in my skin again, and actually feeling hope for my future.

Lots of reasons' date=' but the straw that broke the camels back was being so uncomfortable and miserable, one night I just prayed that I would go to sleep and not wake up. Realizing that my life was being lived wishing I was dead was a real eye opener.... Sleeved two weeks ago and down 23 lbs. Already feeling more comfortable in my skin again, and actually feeling hope for my future.[/quote']

Good for you!

I didn't really notice that I had a huge weight problem until my daughter, which was 4 at the time, mentioned that she wants to look like her daddy when she grows up. I was taken aback by this because I thought girls wanted to be and look like mommy instead of daddy, so I asked her why, and to my SHOCK she said, "Because Daddy is this way and you are this way." She showed me what this was meant at her age and dad's this way was long (verticle) and mom's was wide (horizontal) which she bounced with her hands like it was explanding. This actually broke my heart to pieces and made me tear up. I had to gently take her from off my lap and sit her in the chair so that I could look away to wipe tears away.

Her explaination made me open my eyes to my weight being a problem in general. Again, sometimes we live our lives in a state of unconscious awareness. It also opened my eyes to the legacy that I was creating for my children that it is alright to live an unhealthy life, so I wanted to break that generational curse starting with me and my family. I went on the Atkins plan and lost 87 lbs with exercise and managed to keep it off for about 3-4 years, but gained it back when I lost my Mother. Then I went on another plan and began the yo-yoing so here I am today wanting/needing to make a lifetime commitment for my family.

My 37 yr old brother died of a massive heart attack 3/18/12, he was SMO as well... After getting over my initial grieving, I started thoroughly researching wks options... Initially, I was adamant about having the band done... After meeting with the surgeon 9/3/12, I opted to go with the Sleeve Gastrectomy... I refused to have my children or husband find me the way my 2 sons found my brother... I wish my brother, Ronaldo, was still here to take this #JourneyOfChange with me... So, I'm doing this for myself 1st, & my family ((children & grandchildren)) 2nd, & finally, for the memory of my Phat Boo, my brother, Ronaldo...

S.I.P. Nado

My 37 yr old brother died of a massive heart attack 3/18/12, he was SMO as well... After getting over my initial grieving, I started thoroughly researching wks options... Initially, I was adamant about having the band done... After meeting with the surgeon 9/3/12, I opted to go with the Sleeve Gastrectomy... I refused to have my children or husband find me the way my 2 sons found my brother... I wish my brother, Ronaldo, was still here to take this #JourneyOfChange with me... So, I'm doing this for myself 1st, & my family ((children & grandchildren)) 2nd, & finally, for the memory of my Phat Boo, my brother, Ronaldo...

S.I.P. Nado

My children!!!!

For me it was countless failures at exercise, diets, and weight loss. Then endless disappointments in myself. The wanting the thin person out that is hiding inside the fat one. Going shopping without leaving depressed. Sick of taking diabetic and high cholesterol meds. Wanting to feel confident and in control of my self <3

:wub: