Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

Back2Barb... I know that look... like WTH happened to you..and what did you swallow! I'm avoiding my cousin's birthday tonight because I don't want to see that look on people's faces.

Back2Barb... I know that look... like WTH happened to you..and what did you swallow! I'm avoiding my cousin's birthday tonight because I don't want to see that look on people's faces.

See I have been doing that for years. And I get it both ways- I see someone that I haven't seen in a while and it's the "what the hell happened to you?" look or people who know me now see what I used to look like and again- "what the hell happened to you?" The housekeeper saw one of my pictures from 2007 and asked if that was my cousin. It's so not cute anymore. I'm taking my life back. I now have a career that I can afford to do things but I'm trapped in this shell that isn't me. An acquaintance of mine went to Catalina Island and sent me a video of her zip lining. I cried like a baby. Next year I'll be zip lining, swimming with dolphins, horseback riding- you name it I'm doing it!

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

I was admitted into the hospital for chest pains a few years ago, and had knee pain, back pain, could barley walk up a flight of stairs, I was in bad shape, the doctor told me at that time I was borderline diabetic, and heart attack as my heart was at the stage where it was going to enlarge and if I wanted to see my son graduate I needed to do something now or in 3 years I would be dead..I was always self conscious about amusement park rides, worrying about not being able to fit, and one of the last straws was having to ride alone because I was too big for my son to fit in the ride with me. He would always say mom when will you ride on a ride "with" me, and that along with what the doctor told me, was the final straw that broke the camels back, how could I be selfish and not do this surgery to live a better life when I have tried every other diet under the sun!

I started doing research on the lab band, but then went with the sleeve... the best decision I ever made in my life. I am 2 years out, and am a proud pass holder to a local amusement park, I can ride any ride, and walk all day if needed without being out of breath, and I have competed in 2 5k's..Best life decision I ever made...ever

I was admitted into the hospital for chest pains a few years ago' date=' and had knee pain, back pain, could barley walk up a flight of stairs, I was in bad shape, the doctor told me at that time I was borderline diabetic, and heart attack as my heart was at the stage where it was going to enlarge and if I wanted to see my son graduate I needed to do something now or in 3 years I would be dead..I was always self conscious about amusement park rides, worrying about not being able to fit, and one of the last straws was having to ride alone because I was too big for my son to fit in the ride with me. He would always say mom when will you ride on a ride "with" me, and that along with what the doctor told me, was the final straw that broke the camels back, how could I be selfish and not do this surgery to live a better life when I have tried every other diet under the sun!

I started doing research on the lab band, but then went with the sleeve... the best decision I ever made in my life. I am 2 years out, and am a proud pass holder to a local amusement park, I can ride any ride, and walk all day if needed without being out of breath, and I have competed in 2 5k's..Best life decision I ever made...ever[/quote']

You rock!

My final straw was a series of things. My mom passed from necrotizing fasciitis (non-weight related. She didn't have a weight problem) in October 2012 when she was 53. Losing my mom at the young age of 19, knowing I want children, and experiencing the pain of that loss made me certain that I would do everything in my power to make sure my future kids don't have to go through what I did at such a young age.

A few years ago I tried to ride a roller coaster at 6 flags with one of my many super skinny best friends and couldn't get the belt to buckle. I had to leave the ride. I was HUMILIATED. that was the only roller coaster I haven't fit on, but once was enough to get the point across.

I'm an actor. I haven't done a show in 3 years because I'm so ashamed of my weight that I won't go on auditions for ANYTHING. Not that it matters, because there aren't many parts for an obese 20 year old. My voice teacher has been after me to lose weight, too. She told me a few months ago that I'm, "too talented to throw it away." That was a huge motivator for me. I knew that it wasn't an easy thing for her to say, and she assured me that she wrestled with saying something she knew could hurt me but she didn't want to see me lose a shot at a career. Since then I've been very serious about it.

I'M SO EXCITED TO GET ALL OF THIS NONSENSE BEHIND ME AND START MY REAL LIFE!!!!!!!!

I was creating a list of my current medications in my phone for reference and realized that I'm on 15 prescriptions. I have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, low T, restless leg syndrome, and depression. What a physical mess my body is in. 15 prescriptions at age 47; give me a freakin' break.

Just want to add another thing to my list of "straws"...today I went for an MRI of my brain just to make sure my cancer has not returned...and guess what?

I was too FAT to fit in the machine! Can you say embarrassing!!! They had to schedule me for their other office with the open-ended machine... the only thing that made me feel better was it was Sunday and the place was pretty empty except for me, the tech and the receptionist..and they both know me due to all the scans I've had there..and both said...don't worry about it...soon you'll have all the room you need to fit inside. You're doing the right thing for yourself and your health..don't get discouraged or be sad about it...

Just want to add another thing to my list of "straws"...today I went for an MRI of my brain just to make sure my cancer has not returned...and guess what?

I was too FAT to fit in the machine! Can you say embarrassing!!! They had to schedule me for their other office with the open-ended machine... the only thing that made me feel better was it was Sunday and the place was pretty empty except for me' date=' the tech and the receptionist..and they both know me due to all the scans I've had there..and both said...don't worry about it...soon you'll have all the room you need to fit inside. You're doing the right thing for yourself and your health..don't get discouraged or be sad about it...[/quote']

They were nice and correct. The procedure will make an impact.

I am just starting this process- have to follow a 6 month MD monitored "diet" before I qualify with my insurance. My #1 reason is PAIN! I am 40 years old and am in pain every day! Hips, knees, ankles, feet.. You name it, it hurts! Looking forward to tossing my bottle of advil :)

Add this to the list of reasons that I am glad I made this decision for my upcoming sleeve: I just replaced a 3 year old high quality mattress because my weight destroyed my side of the bed.

I am just starting this process- have to follow a 6 month MD monitored "diet" before I qualify with my insurance. My #1 reason is PAIN! I am 40 years old and am in pain every day! Hips, knees, ankles, feet.. You name it, it hurts! Looking forward to tossing my bottle of advil :)

For me, it's my lower back, knees and feet... ugh..talk about pain!!! I understand... I can't wait..still have high hopes for October surgery...I'm almost done..all my test...

They were nice and correct. The procedure will make an impact.

Thank you. I can't wait.

Like every1 else here there's many reasons I'm making this choice.

1. Every brother or sister I have has a fat joke or nickname for me n yes they also use them in public

2. my 6 year old niece asking me "titi why are you fat, can I see your belly giggle?" N that was also in public

3. Being a disappoint ment and embarrassment 2 my family drove me 2 depression. Making me feel so alone.

4. I cry when I go clothes shoping... Neva could walk in a store pick something I like and having it fit... I only have 1 bag of clothes that I wear all year round for 4 years

5.can't even look. In a mirror or have another person take a picture of me with out me wanting 2 hide

6. My health problems are getting so bad I can't run nor move quickly, I use to speed walk with my mother n now I slow her down, cause of my knees.

7.I would love 2 go 2 the lake n not sleep because I'm ashamed of my look. Tired of being depressed or having every 1 tell me I'm big like I didn't already know this. I want 2 be more active with out having 2 stop every 10 mins kuz some part of ma body is hurting.

8. What hurts the most my family don't even know I misscarried twice, doctors sed something about my stress levels and hormones n I was already high risk n was put on rest n now they tell me my chances of haveing a healthy baby in slim to nun.

My aunt had the bypass done n I did my research n found out about the sleeve told my mom n she jumped right on bored. She says the only thing she worring about is the bill and how much insurance will cover but she knows what this means 2 me... I'm 5'6 and 280 pounds... My mother is only 5'8 and 130...

Thoes are just the tippy top of reasons I want this

There's so much pain here. I can relate.

This summer we went on vacation and I sat down in a little beach chair which immediately sunk all the way into the sand and I was stuck in it.

So embarrassing!

I finally got approved and I will never have to go on vacation fat again!!!

Add this to the list of reasons that I am glad I made this decision for my upcoming sleeve: I just replaced a 3 year old high quality mattress because my weight destroyed my side of the bed.

I am having the same issue.