Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

I decided if I hadn't gotten it off by 40 I was doing it. I spent the first half of my life overweight, I'm not spending the second half the same way. I turned 40 Feb 8 and had my appointment that same week. Getting the surgery April 17. Ready to start a new season of my life!

Sleeved on March 26, 2013. I have been looking at the possibility of this procedure for almost 5 years. I truly believed I could do it on my own. In September I attended a conference for work at an out door park. The program included zip lines through the forest and I realized that I weighed to much to attempt any of the events. That was the point where I found I needed to make a change. I had to go through the 6 months of PCP visits then 3 weeks later, I am now 9 days post op and feeling well. This site is so helpful with ideas for food choices as well as how to handle the changes. 27 lbs down... and motivated for the future.

My final straw was after eating a ton of easter candy, and still craving ice cream. My husband said "after all that you still want ice cream?"...ouch. It started me on the journey monday of finally getting my ducks in a row, and one week later, here I am...found my doctor, got the funding (partial financing only), got doc approval, got a date set, bought flight tickets... overwhelmingly excited and hopeful.

Seriously though, I lost 80 lbs by simply cutting back and starting exercise in 2 years. But since (5 years ago!) have tried just about everything other than starvation (which I can't do...I'm not that strong) and can not get my weight loss to continue. Weight Watchers, Medifast, Calorie counting, the eat clean diet...I can't seem to fill the void in my stomach and stay consistent with eating 1,500ish calories. I began researching weight loss surgery, and it just clicked..."this is the tool I need to finally finish this and get to a healthy weight".

The things I look forward to:

- being under 200lbs for the first time since middle school.

- shopping for clothes in the "normal" section...seriously haven't been able to do this since I was maybe 13???

- buying hiking clothes at local outfitters and running clothes from under armor (they don't think big girls hike or run..ha)

- new sex positions...they are limited at this weight.

- being satisfied with just a few bites of something instead filling the void that is my very large stomach

- sitting in my husband's lap (he is 135lbs...I will break him right now)

- sky diving, bungee jumping, zip lining, trying out the local rock climbing indoor center...etc.

- much more ;)

Afraid of becoming a diabetic with high bp like my familes history on my moms side and die young.

I usually never check my weight n the last straw i had was when i was jus getting a annual OB check up n they did my vitals n weight n the lady said okay everythings great n u weight 288 umm im think to myself HELLLLLL NOOO ! I knew it was bad but not tht bad im a newlywed with 2 beautiful bby boys i need to be here from them tht same day i was looking up weight loss. Drs. And now im planning to get sleeved in june praise God!!!!

My list is quite similar to yours. I live in constant battle with myself if I will go to family events or be too embarrassed at how overweight I have gotten. Not being the mom I could be to this precious little boy I have and wife to my husband. And just not liking who I have become.

I guess you could say my final straw was when I saw pictures of myself from our family vacation in August 2012. I never saw myself as being that big before. From that moment on I started doing research and talking to my family doctor. She was resistant first and had me see a nutritiousest then after that did not work and I was actually still gaining weight even though I was eating less and exercising. So I am having my surgery early next month.

My final straw was just being flat out tired all the time. Even a trip out to the shops required a break on the couch for a few hours afterward. Also when my sister, who is 18 years older (and much slimmer) than me could run circles around me all day, while i was huffing and puffing to keep up with her schedule. Once I found something i would like to wear id look at my body in sheer horror in the changing room mirrors and just put it back in disgust. No matter how cute the clothes were, once i had it on i looked terrible. My knees were also doing the "rice crispy" crunch every time I moved. It was time to do something about all this weight instead of ignoring it. At 42 I was not about to give up on life. No more blood pressure pills, Water pills, or pills to stop how depressed I was with my body. How liberating is that!

So many of these postings hit home for me. In the end, I am tired of thinking about my weight. I am consumed by it daily - from assessing whether I am the "fattest" person in the room to figuring out if someone is treating me differently because of my weight. Stereotyping of larger people makes it very difficult for me in my job as many assume I am heavy merely because I am not a hard worker, or lazy, or I cannot get away from the fridge. It would sometimes make me sad. Often it would make me angry. I want energy back... I am going to channel myself to accomplish this goal for me. I cannot wait until I am able to shake loose all the negativity from weight gain, all the self-hatred, the denial, and the guilt. Losing the weight will not do that on its own, it will take a complete overhaul of my mindset. I am ready...finally. I do not want to be embarrassed anymore, or angry, or humiliated, or sad... or miss out on anything I want to do because I am heavier. Tired of blurring the edges, hiding from mirrors, hiding from cameras, films, being posted on FB, the waterslide, the planes, that darn waiting room chair made for someone size 8.... I might have reached my lowest point when I asked myself if my friends felt sorry for me because they hung out with me. (Not being worthy on my personality alone). I know I am not alone but I have felt that way for over a decade.

So many of these postings hit home for me. In the end' date=' I am tired of thinking about my weight. I am consumed by it daily - from assessing whether I am the "fattest" person in the room to figuring out if someone is treating me differently because of my weight. Stereotyping of larger people makes it very difficult for me in my job as many assume I am heavy merely because I am not a hard worker, or lazy, or I cannot get away from the fridge. It would sometimes make me sad. Often it would make me angry. I want energy back... I am going to channel myself to accomplish this goal for me. I cannot wait until I am able to shake loose all the negativity from weight gain, all the self-hatred, the denial, and the guilt. Losing the weight will not do that on its own, it will take a complete overhaul of my mindset. I am ready...finally. I do not want to be embarrassed anymore, or angry, or humiliated, or sad... or miss out on anything I want to do because I am heavier. Tired of blurring the edges, hiding from mirrors, hiding from cameras, films, being posted on FB, the waterslide, the planes, that darn waiting room chair made for someone size 8.... I might have reached my lowest point when I asked myself if my friends felt sorry for me because they hung out with me. (Not being worthy on my personality alone). I know I am not alone but I have felt that way for over a decade.[/quote']

That said it all, perfectly.

My main reason was health issues but I have to say I am enjoying other aspects like being able to fit into smaller sizes. My health has really improved! Type II diabetes gone! Had to eliminate one of my blood pressure medications and was able to half the dose on the other one! I have no regrets and am so glad I did this for myself.

I'm new and don't know how to send to the group can you help me please asap

First I was actually scared to try another diet, because it always meant -20, then +35. Then I encountered an obese woman had a purple face from her high bp. She must have weighed 500lbs. She was just bitter and couldn't even sit on a bed. She was just nasty and mad at the world because she was obese. At first I was put off by her attitude, but then I felt sorry for her. She was probably in the same boat as me one time. Then she just gave up dieting and now she has a host of other problems. So she inspired me to fix myself before I got that bad!!!

I never thought I had a problem because I was comfortable in my skin, the last 20 lbs put me over the edge.

I lost 60 and then 80 after gaining it back twice after a few years. For the first time I was hearing hypertension, high cholesterol, and insulin resistance at my appointments with my PCP. But what broke the back was coming home from work and getting in bed because my knees and feet hurt so much. I was encouraging my kids to watch tv with me instead of playing outside because I could not due it. I needed freedom from myself and a future with my children.

I have a few things that made me decide enough was enough.

1. I've been trying to lose weight for years now and although I'd lose it, I'd eventually gain it back.

2. I was dating someone and we decided to go to Six Flags and I was told that I couldn't get on the ride because it would latch. That was the first time that had EVER happened to me. I was mortified.

3. I'm not comfortable at this weight.

4. I'm sweating for no reason and no one else is hot.

5. My weight has caused me to have anxiety issues

6. I'm 32, don't look it and I'm ready to live my life like I'm supposed to.

My I have three more appointments with my nutritionist. She said she has no doubt that I will be approved (I'm with Kaiser) and then I should have my approval in July and my surgery the first week in August.