Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to see the pulmonologist today and he wanted me to do a 2 day sleep study. I was shocked that its gonna cost me $1025 with insurance. He wanted to do it this week, but I don't have that amount yet. How much do these studies run and why 2 days?

Wow, that seems like a lot. I had to do a overnight sleep study and I didnt have to pay a dime but I have amazing insurance. I would call them again and make sure, that seems like a lot to me. Best of luck to you!

I thought so too. I thought the doctor's office had mentioned a different and cheaper sleep study. I guess I should wait til I see him at the end of the month. Then again, with my insurance I have a $1000 deductible then the rest of the tests are at 90%, so if I get a cheaper sleep study I would still have to pay around $1000 for the other tests...grr!

I went to see the pulmonologist today and he wanted me to do a 2 day sleep study. I was shocked that its gonna cost me $1025 with insurance. He wanted to do it this week, but I don't have that amount yet. How much do these studies run and why 2 days?

I would get a second opinion. I went to one who wanted me to do a sleep study knowing I don't have sleep apnea. When I asked her why she said just do it. So I went to a different dr and he wrote me a clearance letter after reviewing my chest X-rays and giving me a breathing test. So don't waste money if you don't need to.

Thanks, Brady. That sounds like a good plan.

Hi I am going with Dr hilmy and had a positive sleep study. I have an appt with pulmonalogist (?) On the 22nd I see him and do the sleep study same day and I am self pay, I guess I better call and find out how much I have to pay.. Chubarella when is your surgery and what hospital

I was able to do my sleep study at home. They sent me home with a little device to sleep hooked up to (which really just amounted to one of those things on your finger to measure your heart rate and nasal cannula). I just had to return it asap. If the test wasn't giving them the information they needed, then I would have had to do a sleep study at the clinic.

I would ask the pulmonologist (or whoever is in charge of the sleep study) if they have the take home version. Or if there are other options.

Good luck!

Just finished my 2nd night of the sleep study last night. The first night was to see if you have it and how bad it us if you do. The 2nd night they fit you with the mask and machine. If you don't have it, they prob won't do a 2nd night. I have had sleep studies before and they were only one night. I really liked having a second night. Helped because I was able to try different masks until we found the one that's best for me AND they control the pressure settings so you get a more accurate pressure. Really helped work out the kinks. CPAP didn't do well for me, yrs ago, but last night tried BI-PAP and it was MUCH MUCH better. So if anyone else gave up on CPAP, you may want to try BI-PAP.

Hi I am going with Dr hilmy and had a positive sleep study. I have an appt with pulmonalogist (?) On the 22nd I see him and do the sleep study same day and I am self pay, I guess I better call and find out how much I have to pay.. Chubarella when is your surgery and what hospital

Hi! They haven't scheduled my surgery yet. I have to wait 6 months, I'm on my 4th month. I'm thinking maybe it will happen in November or December? Dr. Savinon is my Internal Medicine Doctor and my surgery is suppose to be at Valley Baptist in Harlingen.Definitely call to ask for prices, one physician's assistant told me that there were cheaper options to do the sleep study. Where are you having your surgery?

I was able to do my sleep study at home. They sent me home with a little device to sleep hooked up to (which really just amounted to one of those things on your finger to measure your heart rate and nasal cannula). I just had to return it asap. If the test wasn't giving them the information they needed, then I would have had to do a sleep study at the clinic.

I would ask the pulmonologist (or whoever is in charge of the sleep study) if they have the take home version. Or if there are other options.

Good luck!

I need to ask about this..thanks for letting me know.

Just finished my 2nd night of the sleep study last night. The first night was to see if you have it and how bad it us if you do. The 2nd night they fit you with the mask and machine. If you don't have it, they prob won't do a 2nd night. I have had sleep studies before and they were only one night. I really liked having a second night. Helped because I was able to try different masks until we found the one that's best for me AND they control the pressure settings so you get a more accurate pressure. Really helped work out the kinks. CPAP didn't do well for me, yrs ago, but last night tried BI-PAP and it was MUCH MUCH better. So if anyone else gave up on CPAP, you may want to try BI-PAP.

Interesting. I was wondering what they did the 2nd night.

This is what my clinic does over the two nights. It has to do with insurance billing, and (unfortunately) it ends up being more expensive for the patient. If you don't have any sleep issues, you probably won't have to do a second night.

Another option for those with CPAP issues is the APAP (autotitration or automatic positive airway pressure), but it is more expensive.

Chubarella I am going to VBMC in Harlingen, surherh 8/29 . I had the take home sleep study I paid $150 and it was positive so next Wed I c pulmonologist and do the second part of sleep study. I am hoping my insurance pays for this.

Question have you attended the monthly meetings