Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Until You Ate Salad, Steak, Bread?

I'm released this Friday to regular foods. Just curious how long you waited for foods that I think might be painful. Did you react to them when you did? What foods are difficult, and I should wait on?

Most painful for me was (still is) thick liquids, or pulpy liquids. Those are OK early on, so I didn't wait long. Then I quickly stopped. :)

I don't eat steak, so I can't help you there. salad I tried recently - around 3.5 - 4 months out. bread - depends. I was having things like extremely dry/crunchy crackers about 3 mos out. Soft bread I just had for the first time the other day (Subway). I picked at the bottom bun.

I don't really have difficult foods, just foods that sit heavier than others. Thick liquids about kill me (e.g. anything above 1% milk, including most Protein drinks, though I did well on one yesterday - for the first time)... pulpy fruits like strawberries and peaches. All sit heavy. Whereas something like beef Jerky - will not sit heavy, but I will LOUDLY gurgle/bubble for a good 30 mins or so after eating it.

I'm released this Friday to regular foods. Just curious how long you waited for foods that I think might be painful. Did you react to them when you did? What foods are difficult' date=' and I should wait on?[/quote']

I am 2 months out and eat steak just fine

I'm released this Friday to regular foods. Just curious how long you waited for foods that I think might be painful. Did you react to them when you did? What foods are difficult' date=' and I should wait on?[/quote']

I have eaten a little salad and it was ok. I haven't eaten any brad

I have eaten a little salad and it was ok. I haven't eaten any brad

I meant bread

What a person has trouble with will vary from one person to another. I'm 10 weeks, 1 day out now. I was released to eat anything my sleeve could tolerate. At around 8 weeks I had some salad and my body rejected it. I tried it again in my 9th week and am fine with it now. I also tried a little bit of bread in my 8th week primarily to know if I could eat it. I did fine with it but haven't had it again as it takes up too much space that I need for Protein.

I haven't tried steak as I don't like it so I cannot give you my experience there. I have tried a variety of other things and haven't had issues with any of them. Some of them, like chicken that isn't shredded, sit heavier than others but I am still able to tolerate them.

If I can suggest something to it is is to try one new food at a time at a certain meal. That way, if you have issues you know what is causing them. Then, once you've tried a certain food and done fine with it in a prior meal you can have it again with something new with it. Does that make sense?

Good luck to you!

I started trying those items at six weeks per my doctor's recommendation. I had no problem with salads and they are a mainstay now. I also enjoy steak cut really thin and chewed well, like carne asada or any tender cut like prime rib or rib-eye. Strangely, bread is much harder for me to tolerate.

Try new things, but go slowly and chew well.

What a person has trouble with will vary from one person to another. I'm 10 weeks' date=' 1 day out now. I was released to eat anything my sleeve could tolerate. At around 8 weeks I had some salad and my body rejected it. I tried it again in my 9th week and am fine with it now. I also tried a little bit of bread in my 8th week primarily to know if I could eat it. I did fine with it but haven't had it again as it takes up too much space that I need for Protein.

I haven't tried steak as I don't like it so I cannot give you my experience there. I have tried a variety of other things and haven't had issues with any of them. Some of them, like chicken that isn't shredded, sit heavier than others but I am still able to tolerate them.

If I can suggest something to it is is to try one new food at a time at a certain meal. That way, if you have issues you know what is causing them. Then, once you've tried a certain food and done fine with it in a prior meal you can have it again with something new with it. Does that make sense?

Good luck to you![/quote']

Yes. Makes perfect sense. That's how we feed my infant!

Well, I am one month out almost 5 weeks actually.... I think I have a sleeve of steel! Nothing has bothered my stomach so far.. which is not necessarily a good thing if you think about it. I have not tried steak or salad, but I am going to soon, I have been craving salad for quite a while! I have had bread, with no problems, but it does fill you up! But I love those Duos Cheese-Its! OMG addicting, I have to be very careful... I have made that Baked Riccotta and added meatballs, very good! Also KOCH makes these little packs (2 in a pack) of chicken Cordon Bleu, they also have one with bacon and cheddar Jack cheese, and one with broccoli, and one with mushrooms. The chicken breast is small. I can almost eat a whole one. They come frozen, I bought them at Walmart. They have 25-27g of Protein each and very tasty. The thing is I chew for a long time! Can't wait for salad, I'm trying it tomorrow, I'll let you know!

Well' date=' I am one month out almost 5 weeks actually.... I think I have a sleeve of steel! Nothing has bothered my stomach so far.. which is not necessarily a good thing if you think about it. I have not tried steak or salad, but I am going to soon, I have been craving salad for quite a while! I have had bread, with no problems, but it does fill you up! But I love those Duos Cheese-Its! OMG addicting, I have to be very careful... I have made that Baked Riccotta and added meatballs, very good! Also KOCH makes these little packs (2 in a pack) of chicken Cordon Bleu, they also have one with bacon and cheddar Jack cheese, and one with broccoli, and one with mushrooms. The chicken breast is small. I can almost eat a whole one. They come frozen, I bought them at Walmart. They have 25-27g of Protein each and very tasty. The thing is I chew for a long time! Can't wait for salad, I'm trying it tomorrow, I'll let you know![/quote']

When was your surgery?

Oh also nuts, cashews specifically. I want some!

I am 9 months out and still cannot do steak. I take that back, I can do steak, it just sits like a load of bricks in my stomach! Not a fun feeling. bread is sort of the same but I've found that a bite or two is ok (especially if it's toasted). Those are really the only 2 foods that I choose to stay away from.

salad on the other hand is a staple in my diet and has been since about 8-10wks out.

I think you'll find that everyone tolerates foods differently and it'll be a trial and error thing to see what works for you! :-)

I'm 3.5 months out & I have salad a few times a week no issues, little bites of bread in SMALL toasted bites like croutons go down okay. Steak is so heavy on my stomach I have tried it a few times & it still hurts once it goes down. Strangely most meats are not staying down well... chicken seems heavy too no matter how I cook it. Fish, seafood are my main source of Proteins at the moment. I loved red meats before but now my stomach says NO :) Maybe someday. Hope all of you are having a great day! x

Yes. Makes perfect sense. That's how we feed my infant!

Exactly! We have "baby" tummies and should treat them the same.

Oh also nuts' date=' cashews specifically. I want some![/quote']

I've been eating nuts since 6 weeks out without any issues.