Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spivak and Spiegal - Tell me more

I have been told about Spivak and Spiegal many times. Those who have used them, could you tell me more about their practice, costs, insurance, skill, pre-testing, office, etc? Anything you can thinkof would be helpful (to me and to others I think).

P.S. Is one of them involved in something called a "cattle call" and what would that be?

Here is a thread that has a bit of information on both Doctors.

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21832

I really loved my experience with Dr. Spivak. I did not feel like his seminar and office meetings were like a cattle call at all. They have called and checked on me twice since my surgery. The Surgery Center was very nice and everyone was very friendly.

My choice was between Spivak and Spiegel as well. I don't think you could choose a "bad" surgeon between the two. I personally was turned off about the "cash only" policy of Spiegel. I used my credit card to pay for the consult with Dr. Spivak. I had planned to go to both Dr.'s seminars. I liked Spivak and his office staff so much that I decided not to go to the Spiegel seminar.

I used Speigel, I've had a great experience and would recommend him to anyone. I payed out of pocket, decided not to wait for my insurance. The surgery itself cost me 15000, the semiar/consultation was 200, and I had other expenses such as airfare. My scars are so tiny, and I can't feel my port one bit. I had no bra issues and I think that because he's perfected where to put the port. He's done about 5000 lap band procedures. He knows what he is doing that is for sure.

Hi Carol,

I can only speak from personal experience here... I chose Spivak and so did 5 other co-workers of mine. We are nothing but 100% satisfied with his ethic, surgery skills, bedside manner and professionalism. Spiegel on the other hand... don't even get me started on the way he has treated my friend. I wouldn't let him touch me with a 10 foot pole.

I don't care if he has done a million lap bands, that doesn't mean he is the best.

Spivak in my opinion is the best lap band surgeon in the U.S., but of course I am kind of partial to him.

Spiegel's doings have in fact been referred to as a cattle call, but my friend has said they have improved that.

Feel free to PM me with any more questions.

I used Spiegel back in 04. Yes, it is a cattle call for him. But he is an excellent surgeon. I *think* his site says that he's performed more band surgeries then any other lap-band surgeon in the US.

Experienced - Yes

Personality - No

I met him for my very first office visit/consultation then didnt lay eyes in him again until the morning AFTER my surgery. That was a little different for me to settle on :/ considering the money he makes off of us.

If you are looking for bedside manner, don't chose Spiegel. Spiegel is matter of fact, a surgeon first, and full of himself. For me, I wanted him because he is competent and has an ego. That's what you are looking for in a surgeon.

Lapband surgery is a little different in that there is a great deal of aftercare. That's where I feel Spiegel doesn't cut it. His office is disorganized, not useful giving out information, blunt and brash.

The surgicenter, where surgery and fills are conducted, is absolutely great. The staff is helpful, kind, courteous, and will work with you on any issues you may have. If it wasn't for them I would be very disappointed in Spiegel. They handle my aftercare, and for that, I am very happy and satisified.

I have heard Spivak takes a more personal interest. He appears to be a good surgeon as well. The choice is yours. From a surgical standpoint, I don't think you can wrong with either one of them. It all depends on how much "hand holding" you require.

Cattle call refers to the way the crowd is herded into the seminar, herded into the consult with the doctor, the brevity of your time with him (avg. 2 minutes), and the in-personal way you are treated. That is how Spiegel's is handled. I understand Spivak is different.

I am totally satisifed with my surgery with Spiegel. I didn't expect aftercare, so I'm not disappointed.

Barb, please give us more info on Surgicenter. Fill cost, location and phone # if possible. thanks!

I wouldn't call it a cattle call personally, but I can see how some ppl could interpret it that way. I think they say cattle call because he does not take the time to visit or be 'friends' with his patients. He's more of a down to business kind of person.. at least thats my interpretation. When I had my consultation with him, I was impressed by his intelligence. And when I first heard him talking at his seminar he has a quick sense of humor, which again I find to show intelligence. I would say go to both doctor's seminars, the seminars are free. I've never met Dr. Spivak, but from everything I've read about him on this site he sounds like a fantastic surgeon. Do I wish I had went to him? Nope, Im really happy with my results, I wouldn't change a thing. Personally I don't think you can make a bad choice between these two. Also ask both doctor's offices or the doctors personally what their complication rates are. Dr. Speigel is now claiming that he guarantees his patients will have no slippage of the band. He feels he has perfected the placement and attachment of it. Maybe Dr. Spivak guarantees the same thing? Ask ask ask, ask a million questions! I questioned Dr. Speigel a BUNCH at seminar lol. Don't be afraid to do that.

The Physicians SurgiCenter of Houston is located at 7515 S. Main, 8th fl, Houston Tx 77030. Phone number is 713 799-9990. They are in the medical center, but just outside of the main hub. Their fills are done by a PA under fluro. The cost is $125. I think you need to be under the care of one of the 6-8 surgeons that operate there. I've found them to be very helpful. They will work with you to get you in when you need to. I've had to go for emergency unfills and they have always worked me in.

When I was starting my research phase I called Dr. Spiegal's office for the free seminar because he was located marginally closer to me in Sugar Land. Made the appointment for the seminar and all was well. Then I received a phone call telling me the seminar for that day was cancelled and they rescheduled me for the following week.

I got lost and stuck in a big traffic jam around the Galleria and called to say I was running late and discovered :

• They never heard of me
  • There was no seminar scheduled for that day
  • There was no explanation for the mix up

I decided to give them one more try and called for another appointment. Told my whole story to someone who put me on hold. A new person picked up the phone and had no idea what I was talking about. At that point I knew these were not the people for me.

If they were this disorganized about an informational seminar, I could only foresee more communication snafus in the future. This surgery is the most important thing I could do for myself at this point in my life and I decided I was worth having the most superior experience I could find.

When I called Dr. Spivak's office and went to the seminar everything went smoothly - no confusion and totally patient oriented. Dr. Spivak's talk was balanced and fair and he wanted us to be totally clear on the pros and cons of lap band vs bypass so we could make an informed choice. On the day of surgery he was warm and compassionate and I would choose him again in a heartbeat.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann, know whats sad?

His office was the very same way back in 04. I even complained to him about his staff's horrible disorganizied riga-ma-row!

nothing seems to have changed.

(BIG SIGH)

Jo Ann, know whats sad?

His office was the very same way back in 04. I even complained to him about his staff's horrible disorganizied riga-ma-row!

nothing seems to have changed.

(BIG SIGH)

Ok, ok. LOL. I was trying to be so middle of the road on this one but after seeing the responses, I am going to have to jump off the fence and join in.

Phone courtesy is HUGE to me, because (kind of like bathrooms to a restaurant) it lets you see the true colors.

When I called Speigels office the lady was short, rude and "didn't have time for my questions or concerns". She wanted my facts and figures including my social security number. I was like O.O. I made my appointment anyway.

When I called Dr. Spivak's office the lady who answered the phone was extremely nice and when I went in for the seminar everyone in the office was friendly and the lady remembered talking to me on the phone. Somehow as I was sitting there I imagined that the lady that I spoke to at Speigels office wouldn't have a clue who I was.

After my visit with Spivak, I called and cancelled my seminar with Speigal.

Dr Spiegel does have slippage....i personally know 6 people banded by him and out of those 6, 3 including mine, has slipped and been taken out.