Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I too had problems driving yesterday. I decided it had been 7 days and I NEEDED to get out of the house, so I took a 5 minute drive and it was pretty painful. You don't realize how much of your abdominal muscles that you use to actually drive. I would wait if you could because even being a passenger is no fun, with all the bumps. ;(

thanks for your replies' date=' Im considering driving home from surgery, but will depend on how Im feeling afterwards... Ive heard a few people say that they have felt fine enough & have driven themselves home :/[/quote']

The hospital may not discharge you if you don't have a driver. Of course you can discharge against medical advise but that may cause issues for you down the road or with your surgeon.

life is a journey, not a destination; so, stop running -H.D. THEROUX

Ask your doctor, their assistant, or a patient advocate at the hospital if they have volunteers to drive patients home. Or maybe pay a service that is available to the elderly who no longer drive.

My doctor also said once I was off pain meds for a day. I drove my 3rd day out but felt a little uncomfortable. By day 5 I was good to go

Hm, I hadn't thought of that. Right now I plan to drive to my PCP 10 days after surgery. It's about 10 minutes away. I will play it by ear and if I'm even a little nervous I will postpone the appointment, So many things to think of...

I drove on day 5 but I could have drove earlier I was off the pains meds 2 days after surg..the pain after surg is tolerable just get up and walk as much while u are in the hospital..and avoid bumps while driving home from hospital

My hospital would not discharge me unless I had someone to drive me home. I was driving 4 days out, just short distance to take my kids to and from school, but I didn't take any pain meds if I knew I had to drive.

thanks for your replies, Im considering driving home from surgery, but will depend on how Im feeling afterwards... Ive heard a few people say that they have felt fine enough & have driven themselves home :/

My bariatric center won't release me unless i have someone to drive me home....they won't even release a patient to a cab!

My hospital required a driver. They walked my hubby and I out and insisted that i sit in the back seat in the middle. I drove on day 6. I found myself to be very sore and extremely tired and weak. I should not have driven till day 10 or so.

I hope that it is not horrible. I am having my surgery in Mexico. I intend on driving myself home from the airport which is about an hour drive.

Omg, the drive home from the hospital was horrible! 1 1/2hrs in the car. I stop to walk around to keep from having painful gas bubbles in my shoulder. Had a shot of liquid Lortab right before I left. I would have never been able to drive pain wise, & it's totally illegal in the US to drive under the influence. I couldn't keep my eyes open. 1 1/2 weeks post op I drove back to the hospital for my check up w/a pillow between me & the seatbelt. The Dr. said not to drive for a week, due to possible injury of the stomach.

Please take a taxi!!

I was about 19 days but should have waited for 21 days due to my car insurance not being valid until 3 weeks post op. The problem is not driving' date=' I could have probably driven after about 8 days, it's having the stomach muscles to perform an emergency stop. But that's UK car insurance, it could well be different over there.[/quote']

Hi just noticed your from the uk .yippee.ive asked lots of times any one from the uk and no reply.so I thought it was mostly americans on here.where you from

My doc advised it was ok as long as you are not on pain meds. I tool Tylenol post- op at home and was able to drive on day three.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

thank you so much everyone for your thoughts & opinions on this. I think its safer to catch a cab just to be sure. Im so used to having friends & family close by to rely on... living in a different state from them surely is difficult at times

thank you so much everyone for your thoughts & opinions on this. I think its safer to catch a cab just to be sure. Im so used to having friends & family close by to rely on... living in a different state from them surely is difficult at times

Where do you live?