Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great Experience With Dr. Garcia (And I Went Alone!)

So, I am sitting in the airport, Day 4 post op, waiting to catch my last flight home. Reflecting on the past 5 days has been amazing. I used Janese at "a lighter me.com" who was fantastic! I got to San Diego and immediately Samuel, the driver called me and picked me up. He showed my some cool ships in San Diego and then we headed to Mexico. Once I got checked into the hotel, the pre-op diet was driving me crazy, so I decided to get busy and check out Tijuana. I walked to Walmart and a local grocery store and never felt unsafe whatsoever. And I was alone!! When I checked into the hotel, Eduardo, my on site coordinator was there and helped me, then he called me again that night to check on me and arrange medical pick up to the hospital the next morning.

SURGERY DAY: August 9. I got up and made my way to the shuttle that took me and another patient to the hospital. We got there, filled out some paperwork, had blookwork done and then waited! I got into my room and was a given a gown. Then a staffer came and did and EKG on me. Dr. Valesco (sp?) was there to support me and answer a lot of my questions. Then the anesthestist came in and told me what he would do and what to expect, then Dr. Garcia came in, told me surgery would be in about twenty minutes and explained the procedure to me and gave me a chance to anser questions. I walked into the OR, laid on the table, and then woke up in the recovery room! The rest of the first day was a bit of a blur, but Dr. Garcia did call my family back home in Canada and update them. I slept and walked a little the rest of the day. I had bad nausea post op, but the nurses were awesome to give me medicine the moment I needed it. I had some gas pains, but to me, the nausua and dry heaving was worse. Dr Garcia also updated about surgery. He told me because I did so well on the pre-op diet that my liver was very small and he only needed 3 incisions to complete the procedure! I asked to see my stomach, but they had thrown it away.

AUGUST 10: Walking and resting. I was given everything I needed at the hospital to take care of myself and spent the day getting my energy back up and walking. AUGUST 11: Discharge to the hotel (and I totally felt ready to go!). I checked back into the hotel and Eduardo came by to check on me and take care of everything I needed. I wandered around the hotel, the pool and had free broth and popsicles from the restaurant in the hotel. It was great. That night, Dr. Lopez, another surgeon came to check on my with Eduardo as well. Awesome service!! AUGUST 12 was pretty much the same except I spent even more time by the pool. Eduardo was great to come by again and coordinate the next day to get to the hospital. So that brings me to now. We had a quick trip through the border and everything was pretty uneventful.

Things I didn't do but wish I had: brought gas x strips, they really do help, or make your breathe better, either of which is good, I wish I would have brought more of my own broth mix and tea bags, and been so darn scared! My only frustrations were with nailing down a surgery time. I kept asking so I could update my family, but no one seemed to be able to tell me, and then one night at the hospital, there was a fiesta outside our window which apparently doesn't happen very often, but kept me up til the wee hours of morning. I had met another patient on this forum and having contacts when you are there alone can be awesome, help you beat the boredom and give you someone to talk to!

Overall, I would do again in a heartbeat. I can feel my relationship with food changing already and I can't wait to get to use my sleeve more and more to become the person I feel that I should look like! If you have any questions or want to know more, please feel free to message me!

Thanks so much for posting this. I am having surgery with Dr. Garcia on the 31st. I am going alone and it was just now beginning to bother me. Luckily, I have met a same day surgery buddy on here who is going alone too. But this makes me feel even better.

So glad you had a great experience and feel so motivated already! I felt the same when I left last Tues from TJ. I had to laugh out loud about the fiesta outside, you must have been in my room because we had the same thing...but it was during the day and ended when it got dark. Honestly, if that is the only thing we have to complain about then I say we did really well!

Ive heard that the rooms around the corner on the other side of the building do not hear it....so maybe if that is an issue one could request one of those rooms. Much luck to you....you will do great!

Thanks so much for posting this. I am having surgery with Dr. Garcia on the 31st. I am going alone and it was just now beginning to bother me. Luckily, I have met a same day surgery buddy on here who is going alone too. But this makes me feel even better.

Yes, you have nothing to worry about....I just returned last week myself. I did go with my husband, but would not have felt unsafe without him. It is also so great you will have a buddy having surgery the same day because even though my hubby was there, we made some great friends while there. Another lady with her husband, she had surgery same day as me and our hubbys totally hit it off and hung out and her and I hit it off too. When we returned to the Marriott, we relaxed by the pool together, went shopping together and had so much fun!

We have kept in touch and I am sure we will for a long time.....we just really clicked and it was GREAT! So, I hope this is the same for you.....making a great friend on this journey is definitely a plus!