Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery 3 months ago and I have only lost 40 lbs. I am still hungry all the time as my hunger hormones never subsided. I feel like a failure. Has anyone else gone through this? I am sobbing as I am writing this as I feel completely hopeless.

first of all..... congratulations for those 40 l s lost!!!! its a lot of weight! if you think of it, its what a pre-k child weighs! I think that one of the hardest things about this surgery is the psychological and emotional part. we have ups and downs, and mourn food, and then feel "different", and so on. I havenoticed that sometimes I feel "hungry" when its only thirst, .. have you tried drinking Water ? does it help? are you following any nutritional plan? maybe if you ate only Protein and no carbs you would feel better! Keep on tryingthings, switching things here and thereand see what works for you. Dont give up! dont feel like a failire! you are really doing great! 40 pounds!!! and as long as the scale keeps going down and not up..... thats awesome!( atleastfor me :))

Big deep breath. It is working. You are not a failure. You are losing weight (even if it's not as much and as fast as you want it to be).

Please describe your Fluid intake, diet and exercise. Also, are you taking a PPI?

I had my surgery 3 months ago and I have only lost 40 lbs. I am still hungry all the time as my hunger hormones never subsided. I feel like a failure. Has anyone else gone through this? I am sobbing as I am writing this as I feel completely hopeless.

I sure hope you arent seriously upset over 40 pounds in 3 months. If you are then you are really in for some dissapointment in the next year. this isnt some majic fix that makes your fat suddenly disapear. unfortunatly people get some false hope that you will have the surgery and then a few months later poof you are suddenly skinny. it doesnt come on over night and certainly doesnt go away over night either. I was hungry all the time at first too. now my normal hunger is back, but i am just full faster. losing 40 pounds in 3 months is phenominal. be happy with whatever you lose, for at least you arent gaining.

40 isn't bad at all. I started at 310 and I've lost 67 lbs total, 42 since surgery May 25th, so just a little behind you on post-op loss. You've still averaged over 3 lbs a week which is great!

There is no such thing as failure here. Yes when we are at a stand still, we do feel like we've failed, but in reality, we haven't! you are doing great and at the end of the road when your at goal, you will have less baggy skin to deal with! That's fantastic in it's self. Just continue to eat Proteins and veggies and the weight will come off. We are have times when we experience this too. ;)

I feel completely hopeless.

Hun

all sleevers lose weights at different speeds, but 40 lbs down is wonderful in 3 months, 13 lbs a month - gotta love that

i don't really know what to say about your hunger situation - it is good to drink alot before you eat, that helps fill you up

I drink a lot of Water before i eat

You most definitely are not a failure

People do have many types of emotions they deal with at any time through this process, just as someone might have different emotions for whatever reason they might have.

its understandable and totally acceptable

get some tissue, wipe those pretty eyes - things will get better. Do you have family/friends someone you could talk to?

wishing you the very best of luck - all us sleevers are here for you

kathy

Let's try to get some perspective here.

When was the last time you lost 40lbs?

How tall are you? What was your start weight?

Even if your weightloss dropped to 1/2 the rate it has been, you will have lost 100lbs by your 1 year mark.

How much exercise are you getting?

And be aware, a big part of your emotional state right now is because you are losing weight. All that fat that is coming off is releasing more estrogen into your system

You are doing just fine.

Can you do better? Maybe, that is really up to you.

Don't try to make this a race, this is a life thing.

I am so so so sorry you feel discouraged, but please don't! I haven't been where you've been, I am on the pre op liquid only diet now and my surgery is next week. However, can I just say that so many people on these forums have inspired me and motivated me, and you are one of them!

I would kill to have 40lbs lost under my belt. I think it's totally normal and expected to have ups and downs with this - and I think your'e entitled to your frustration. But stick with it - know that even at a slower pace, that's still FORTY POUNDS gone from your body - not added. It will continue to go down. You can do it!

I wish I could give you a big ((hug))! That being said, I think you are doing great. I have lost 31.6 pounds since surgery. I was sleeved on June 12 so I am just over the 2 month mark. You are not too far behind me. My first thought about your hunger was: are you taking the prilosec? If not, you should! It really does help.

Also, have you yoyo dieted in the past? I know I always have gained back what I have lost, plus some. Guess what, this time, it will not be coming back if you stick with the basics!

Also, I've seen a list of "equivalents to lbs lost" shared often on the good ole world wide web. Here's what the equivalent is for 40 lbs lost:

40 pounds = a 5-gallon bottle of Water or an average human leg

Granted, it sounds nutty but can we stop for a second and think.. a human leg!!!! Or how much a 5-gallon jug of Water would weigh!? That's permanently off from your body - nothing to sneeze at!

those 5 gallon jugs are HEAVY! Nice comparison!

40 pounds in 3 months... that is great we all wish that this was a magic surgery but is not, we all have to be patient. I just had my first visit with my doctor and so far i have only lost 29 pounds in 7 weeks, which according to my doctor he says i'm doing great. He told me that an average and healthy weigh to loss per month is between 10 to 15 so you are on target.

Hungry or head hunger? if is that your tummy feels hungry during the day? cz he he ask me if i was feeling hungry i told him only during the morning, he advice me to drink some milk of magnesium before going to bed because it can be acid.... now if is head hunger he advice that it can take up to 3 weeks for this feeling, like he mention i had surgery in my tummy not my brain.... good luck on your journey but you are doing great :)

If you don't want it give it to ME! I'm pre op and would love to drop 40lbs in 3 months! O but to dream of it~

Enjoy your victories!

T~ :wub: