Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is There Spice After The Sleeve?

I LOVE spicy food. The hotter the better. Is this something that I'll have to give up after the sleeve? I have Celiac disease and had to give up real bread, Pasta & my favorite Desserts, I have GERD so onions and pickles are OUT. I'm worried that my spices will need to go too. They are all I have left. :(

worried that my spices will need to go too. They are all I have left. :(

TLP

When i saw the title of your post Is there Spice After the Sleeve - i immediately thought you were referring to sex ;) i was going to assure you by saying yes there is spice after the sleeve ;)

Now i realize you are talking about food spices, i use paprica on my chicken. Others might use different spices too

now you have my answer, either way you look at it, the answer is affirmative ;)

good luck

kathy

Pre surgery I loved jalapenos. Now I am about 3 months out and can barely eat them. Very hot now. I heard that it takes some time but we will eventually get to eat spicy foods again. I am hoping that day comes soon because I am so craving jalapenos.

I'm 11 weeks out and I can eat some spice (cumin, chile powder, garlic, cilantro so far), keeping in mind I can't drink until after 30 minutes. I can still eat chili with some hot sauce, but I add sour cream to tone down the heat a bit. I also can eat pickles :).

I'm over a year out and I can enjoy the same spicy food I liked pre-op. And I do mean spicy! I love Sriracha, sweet chili sauce, jalapenos, and Valentina hot sauce. I can also now eat tangy foods, but I still cut my lemonade with Water. And when drinking margaritas, I order them short to cut down on the sour extras.

It takes a while. My operation was in May 2011 and last summer I couldn't eat stone fruit (one of my favs!) because it was just too acidic for me. Fortunately I also love watermelon and it was the first fruit I could tolerate post-op.

If you like sour or spicy foods, just go slow and try a little here and there. Before you know it, you'll be able to add them back in.

Lynda

@ Likasulema/Kathy: That is sooo funny! I guess that's one less question that I'll have to ask in the future. :) Thanks

@LilMsRose: I also LOVE Jalapeños. Let me know how you progress.

@Crystalintville: I didn't think about the drinking part. Thank you for the reminder. Sour Cream is a welcome addition and a good tip too! (fat free I'm sure)

@Isereno/Lynda: You give me hope! My dietician did say that I may not like the same things Post-op as I did pre-op. So, I will heed your advice and take it slooow.

Thank you all for your responses! :D

~Tammy

I must admit I too thought this post was about SEX...I know I know.....naughty, naughty me~

T~ :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I do however love spicy food...lol :unsure:

Well, yesterday I had some hot sauce on my chicken and it didn't bother me at all. Then again, I'm a spice eater from way back.

I love spicy foods too and I havent had any issues since surgery....Good old trial and error is all you can do, crossing my fingers for you, I cant imagine no more spicy foods either!

I suppose I'll have to watch the wording of all future posts. Wouldn't want to end up in Sex Addicts Anonymous. LOL you are all too much. and I can't tell you how happy I am to know I may be able to keep my spicy flair. ;)

I was sleeve on June 23,2012... No issue with any kind of food. I can eat any type of hot souse, jalapenos, salsas and no problem at all. good luck

I started hitting everything with tabasco just days after surgery. It was the only way I could eat some of those nasty Protein Soups. Don't assume GERD will be with you forever. Things change very suddenly the day after the surgery. You may be eating pickled jalapenos before you know it.

I LOVE spicy food. The hotter the better. Is this something that I'll have to give up after the sleeve? I have Celiac disease and had to give up real bread' date=' Pasta & my favorite Desserts, I have GERD so onions and pickles are OUT. I'm worried that my spices will need to go too. They are all I have left. :([/quote']

I think I would have just shot myself if I was stuck with bland food the rest of my life.

I am almost 12 weeks out and let's see what I've had.

Refried Beans with lots of roasted green chili blended into it

Thai green curry

Spicy hot V8

Mexican shrimp cocktail w/Valentina hot sauce

Huevos Ranchero

Several roasted jalapeños

Buffalo chicken dip

eggs w/Cayenne pepper

Egg drop Soup w/lots of Sriracha

Chili (wife grew up on the Mexican border she doesn't understand the word mild)

1 spicy chicken tender from Popeyes (I had a rebellious moment)

Hot Andouille & Boudin

There is more but this is what came to mind quickly.

I had rotisseri chicken last night with Franks hotsauce and ranch dressing. I eat jalapeno and any hot spice. I am 7 weeks out today. I would be very sad if I didn't get my spices in. I am a garlicaholic! I do get heartburn but it is usually from drinking tea!

I think I would have just shot myself if I was stuck with bland food the rest of my life.

I am almost 12 weeks out and let's see what I've had.

Refried with lots of roasted green chili blended into it

Thai green curry

Spicy hot V8

Mexican shrimp cocktail w/Valentina hot sauce

Huevos Ranchero

Several roasted jalapeños

Buffalo chicken dip

eggs w/Cheyenne pepper

Egg drop Soup w/lots of Sriracha

Chili (wife grew up on the Mexican border she doesn't understand the word mild)

1 spicy chicken tender from Popeyes (I had a rebellious moment)

There is more but this is what came to mind quickly.

My kind of eating!!!