Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been thinking about having WLS for a few months... I was planning to do lap band... But decided sleeve was better for me... I have been having second thoughts... Im scared to death... What if i cant do it? I need some advice

Doubts are us...lol no seriously I was the same as you scared, not sure etc...came to this forum and educated myself on how the surgery benfited me...firstly (most important) it gave me hope of living longer...so for me it was decision made.

Do your homework and hang out here...we are here for you! x

If you can't do it, you can't do it. You'll just have to find another to reach your goal or accept what you're working with.

My surgery is tomorrow. I'm excited, but honestly, I'm scared to death. I've had surgeries before, but never had the fear that I have with this. I feel it's the right decision, but that doesn't make it any less scary.

I had wanted the lap band also, Just going to the Dr. helped talking to him and listening to his opinion and what the pro's were on both. I switched after speaking to him and going on line and reading. I found that the lap band had issues, slippage and people that did not lose the weight they were hoping for! I even went on youtube and watched videos of both surgery and people who had both. I just went of my gut feelings.

Good Luck

I am mostly scared of the outcome... I dont know if i have enough faith in myself to make the changes i need to make to get the results i want... What if i mess up and cant stick to the diet? food is my comfort zone at times... And sometimes eatting is a highlight to my day if that makes any sense... I dont eat alot in a day but i do love food... And depriving myself of food i like is like taking away my best friend... :-(

The guy that gave his personal testimony at the seminar I wet to yesterday said the same thing. He said his best friend was food. And that he had second thoughts all the way until they put him under. But now he's found other ways to Celebrate and to comfort.

In my family, food=love. But I've eaten so much 'love' that I no longer love myself. My best friend is slowly killing me.

I e had second thoughts and then realized that we/ society sees this as elective surgery. Yes we choose to have it. But for us it is life saving. Society wouldn't turn their noses up at us if this were a traditional medically necessary surgery. If we needed a transplant or a faulty organ removed, no one would say a thing. But this is just that! It's life saving!

There is a thread on here that people have listed what they can't wait to do as a result from this surgery. I encourage you to make a similar list for yourself. Then decide.

I am only 9 days post op but I can say just from the plethora of information here and other research I have done your food deprivation is only temporary. You will have to most likely do a pre-op diet which will be the toughest part because you will still be hungry. But, after surgery you wont be able to eat much for a while....but you wont really want to either. Once you pass the stages and get to solid food (somewhere about a month or so out...different for everyone) you will be able to add back in some of the foods you love. Of course, if you go back to eating ice cream and pizza every meal you will not be very successful. But, having the sleeve does not mean you can never enjoy some of your favorites occasionally. There are also many things we can eat when on solids that are just like everyone else, just smaller portions.

So, if you already dont eat A LOT but just love the taste of food....you should be able to do that even after being sleeved when your sleeve is ready! Its more about portion size and eating Protein first, low carb (but still some) and living healthy. NOT deprivation!

Good luck in your search and I hope you have peace about your decision whatever is best for you!

Christi, you are so right to look at your relationship with food at this point. I completely understand your statement about food being the highlight to your day. I still struggle with that because eating a big meal with all my favorites is no longer my comfort. The key for me is realizing a REAL friend would not make me unattractive, insecure, and unhealthy in so many major ways. As I progress, some things taste SO good, but only for two or three bites. That was always true but I continued to eat past that point. Now I don't. With this control, food is being put back in it's rightful place. Good luck to you!

I think a lot of us are afraid we can't do it. I was one of those, but took the leap of faith and had surgery almost 10 weeks ago. I'm so glad I did as I'm down over 50 pounds now.

faith in myself to make the changes i need to make to get the results i want... What if i mess up and cant stick to the diet?

Christi

hi and welcome to the sleeve board.

having the sleeve was the best thing i ever did for myself. Health wise since WLS, I no longer take diabetic pills or insulin, don't need high blood pressure meds either. Other health issues have been dealth with too.

Christi you said "depriving myself of food is like taking away my best friend" -

not taking away your food could cause something more serious - which would you rather, have a big nice meal - or a big nice life.

I always ate alot before WLS, weight went up and down like a yo yo - i could lose the weight, but never kept it off.

if that sounds like you - i would go with the sleeve so you can be helped with this tool to save your life, not meaning to be melodramatic, but its true

i understand having doubts, 2nd thoughts - this is for you to improve your health, and happiness.

I have faith in you that you can do great after WLS - you need to believe in yourself

Don't think about not being successful with following the "food, drink rules" don't be pesimistic before the game has started.

i hope for your sake, after more deep thoughts, if the WLS is for you - take the plunge.

you might struggle a bit after surgery - but its for your own good, and you will be rewarded in the end

good luck with your decision

kathy

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words... It helps alot... I do need to have faith in myself... But that has always been too hard... I promise i will try to stAy positive... Maybe i can do this! I know it is a choice but i also know i need it... I need to learn self discipline... Thanks again everyone... Sicerely from the bottom of my heart :-)