Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since I'm probably going to be self-pay (exclusion in my health plan), the prices for Mexico sound wonderful. My questions are though - who do you have to follow up with you once you get home, and did you have problems with your insurance/PCP once you got home? Thanks for your input!

I did the follow ups with my pcp but he is great and when I first mentioned surgery he wanted to know when it was. He has been totally supportive of me and a couple others I know. It really all depends on your PCP. I have heard horror stories from others who had no support from theirs and had to find someone new. definitly talk to your PCP first just to gauge how things will go. you need all the support you can get.

As for the insurance I have not had to use it except for bp meds so I have yet to find out. and yes I do take meds its just now post-op they actually work while pre-op they did not touch my blood pressure.

My PCP is doing my follow-up care. I am having surgery with Dr. Alavarez in Piedras Negras Mexico and when he takes the drain out before we leave...So when I get back home pending no complications it will be just making sure the incisions are healing well, during my weight checks and follow-up bloodwork...

But I will say I did have a PCP doctor previously that did not believe in diet pills...wasnt too fond of the surgey and believe everyone on their own will could diet and exercise to achieve their weight goals. Needless to say I found another doctor that was more sensitive to my needs as that is not my story...Any weight loss I have ever realized through diet and exercise has came back with a serious vengeance...

I started with a new PCP when I came home from Mexico. He handles everything!

I discussed it with my PCP and she was ok with following me up post op. I plan on seeing her once I return and letting her handle my post op needs.

Before doing my surgery i advice my current PC and she gave all her support, she even call me 2 weeks after my surgery to see how i was doing, I am also lucky that i leave close to the border and every month i go and see dr. Ponce de leon, he is also seeing me every month. I feel more comfortable seeing him every month... good luck