Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Advice On How To Quit Smoking?

Have to quit for my surgery. Was tested via urine for nicotine for 3 consecutive months. Smoking again since March. I quit a week ago today. What do you think my chances are of passing a nicotine test? Also, do you think they’ll even test me again?? Surgery is scheduled for June 8th and my pre-op appointment is Tuesday the 29th.

You will need the full 2 months. I’m in the same boat. I’m in my 5 th pre op and all green lights with the exception of the smoking. 2 more weeks and I’ll be smoke free for 2 months. They do a urine test to check. So. I’ve been good quit cigs booze soda fat straws every thing but caffeine I’m now on 50/50 coffee and plan on caffeine free in time for my 2 week liquid diet. There are times I want to smoke so bad but then I realize having smoked 20+ years. Isn’t that long enough. sugar free gum helps but wanting to save my life and be healthy wins every time. Good luck. You can do this

My surgeon is rigid on this point. He said they will test me the morning of my procedure and if I test positive no surgery. I’ve not had a cigarette for a month. I quit on 6 April, but slipped. One more week to go, am not going to slip again.

I have been smoke-free since 1/1/18. I quit using Wellbutrin and the Juul electronic cigarette. The only bad thing about the Juul is that it has a lot of nicotine in it.

I am now using a traditional vape pen with 6mg juice and working towards tapering to 0mg juice. My surgery is July 17th and my surgeon requires I stop using nicotine 30 days prior to my surgery. My plan is to switch to 3mg tomorrow, then 1.5 the following week, and then to 0 the week after that.

I think they will blood test me and I know the test will happen about a week before surgery. I’m fairly sure that tapering over the next two weeks will be plenty of time to test negative in early July.

When I couldn't quit on my own, I successfully quit smoking by using Chantix prescribed by my PCP.

Cold turkey worked for me. My surgeon told me I had to quit 6 weeks prior to surgery. I quit two days later. That was in Jan. I had my surgery May 17. Not a single slip up in between. That’s how important the surgery and quitting was. I just kept telling myself, “If I’m going through surgery to get healthy, why even THINK about killing myself with cigarettes?!”

I used nicotine gum to quit smoking. It worked well, although I became addicted to the gum, temporarily. I haven’t done either in ten years.

Yes! Wellbutrin has been great for me all around. Helped with smoking, depression, and my adhd as well.

I was a pack a day smoker for 26 years before I got sick and tired of the cost, the smell, and the hassle. I used the Patches, chewed on cinnamon toothpicks and sucked hard candy when i needed it. Also drinking a bottle of Water everytime i got a craving helped. The first 3 days were really hard, then the first 3 weeks. Each time you DONT smoke gets you closer to success. Make a vow that you are now a NONSMOKER, get rid of all the smoking triggers and know that all the cravings WILL pass in time.