Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advancing Post Op Diet Too Quickly?

So I was just sleeved August 7 in Mexico and I'm feeling great with all my drinks and what not no nausea or vomiting. I'm trying to follow the post op diet correctly but I've already sort of cheated and tried scrambled eggs and felt fine after eating a small amount with relatively no discomfort. Is it ok to advance this quickly through the stages as long as I feel fine afterward? Or are there some serious side effects that can happen even though I feel fine eating these foods so soon?

You're still swollen in your stomache so feeling fine would be temporary til your swelling goes down and you find out you gave yourself a leak :(

Very scary stuff, my best advice is follow your drs orders, this is temporary and this is your life.

Good luck, you can do it! :)

Would the leak be caused just from the stomach being stretched by thicker food or does the texture of the food somehow cause the leak?

It is both actually, you definitely want to let your staple line heal up and also avoid getting foods caught in your staple line.

Avoid advancing too quickly so you do not stretch your healing stomache and also when you do advance your diet, avoid foods that are stringy or fibrous like celery.

The problem here is that your stomach is still basicly numb. You likely won't feel anything till its too late. You are only 5 days out, scrambled eggs aren't till stage 3(for most of us) and the likelihood is @ 5 days your prescribed diet still has you in stage 1(clear liquids).

Thats not exactly bending a rule, that's pretty much total disregard.

Don't get me wrong, I am a rebellious type and a risk taker. I accelerated through my phases faster than I was supposed to. But keep in mind, that your saple line won't be healed till 6weeks post-op, and any chances you take up to that point have a signifigantly higher level of risk

I don't know why you went to mexico, whether it was just easier to self pay than to fight the insurance co, or maybe like me, you don't have insurance.

Here s something to factor into he equation. Can you afford an emergency surgery & ER bill. Even if the answer is yes, is it really worth it for an egg? BTW at 3 weeks out, when I tried eggs, I still couldn't eat a whole one.

I know this is not easy, you've gotta be strong. It takes so much more strength to stick with he plan.

It was explained to me that the one cause of some leaks is the "back pressure," towards the esophagus side of the stomach staple line, created when the stomach is trying to push food that is too thick, into the small intestine. I've also heard the six week figure for the staple line to heal, and that there is still a risk of leaks anytime until healing is complete. Sounds reasonable, and definitely keeps me from cheating!

My surgeon says for 6 weeks, if you can use a fork to eat it, then it's too thick. If you are gonna make alterations to what your doc prescribed, at least stay within another vsg surgeons guidelines. good luck!

... if you can use a fork to eat it, then it's too thick...

That's a good rule of thumb! I start mushies on Tuesday, so I'll bear that in mind.

It was explained to me that the one cause of some leaks is the "back pressure' date='" towards the esophagus side of the stomach staple line, created when the stomach is trying to push food that is too thick, into the small intestine. I've also heard the six week figure for the staple line to heal, and that there is still a risk of leaks anytime until healing is complete. Sounds reasonable, and definitely keeps me from cheating![/quote']

I got a little off track today because I was feeling great. Praying all is well. Thanks for keeping me on track. Just a few more days of full liquids.

I got a little off track today because I was feeling great. Praying all is well. Thanks for keeping me on track. Just a few more days of full liquids.< /p>

I advanced way to early and my stomach was not having it. I am 15 days post-op and I tried fish. Really craven it but it didn't stay down. I went right back to the scheduled foods.

It is so crazy how many different food plans there are after post op. I was sleeved 10/9/12, I am on full liquids for 2 weeks. Mostly it is just pureed foods and Water. Starting week 3 I eat "soft" foods for 4 weeks. Soft foods must be what you guys are calling mushy foods. I know I can very soft vegies, and soft meats like fish and even pot roast. My Dr. says your fork has to be able to mush it down. Have never heard of the "if you have to eat it with a fork it's too thick". That's pretty scary! I hope I can tolerate the soft foods because I was on liquid diet 2 weeks pre-op and now liquids for 2 weeks post op, so I am ready to chew something!

I was sleeved Oct 8th and I'm just started soft foods today...this morning I had half a banana...for lunch I am going to try a very small crab cake...and dinner refried Beans with a lil cheese....does this sound okay? ...how much of these foods should I be able to eat at this point