Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

POLL Does Everyone Lose Their Hair??

Have you experienced hair loss due to the lapband?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced hair loss due to the lapband?

• I've had no hair loss whatsoever and I'm more than 4 months post-op.
    • I've experienced no hair loss whatsoever and I'm less than 4 months post-op.
    • I"ve lost 25% of my hair.
    • I've lost 50% of my hair.
    • I've lost enough hair im worried I will go bald.
    • None of these answers fit my situation.

Hi Folks

If you are experiencing any hair loss or broken/weak nails it is because you are not getting enough Protein. When you start noticing Hair loss or weak nails some damage has already been done to your vital organs.

Also, if you don't get the Protein in the weight loss will stop or slow down...in addition, multi-Vitamins are helpful but will not work completely.

I think bypass patients have a totally different experience.

Just food for thought!

I really don't think it's lack of protien. I drink lots of milk, protien shakes, cheese, nuts and meat quite often. I have lost 73 lbs in 9 months and it has been quite consistant. My nails are very strong, it's just the hair that doesn't seem to be doing so well.

I have lost a LOT of hair, although I'm the only one that seems to notice. No one has EVER commented about it. I can tell because with long hair, I put it in a ponytail quite often. The thickness of my ponytail is about half of what it was pre-surgery. I am about 6 1/2 months post-op. They say it will grow back........and I'm a-prayin' it will. :nervous

I get in between 90-100 grams of Protein a day so I don't think that's my problem either. Protein intake is definately a good place to start when you start losing though.

It's not lack of Protein. If you read through all the threads about Hair loss, you'll see TONS of evidence to support this. I get between 85 and 120 grams of protein per day. I initially thought I was getting more than this but I've been watching it VERY carefully and now I'm SURE of how much protein I get. It's plenty. Even pre band I was careful to get enough protein, I just wasn't as careful about recording it. (Thank you FitDay.)

I also take a liquid Vitamin, Biotin, and vitamin E every day.

It's not about protein intake.

I lost some hair too but I can't say if it was 25%. That seems like an awful lot to me. I didnt have scalp showing through but I did lose hair for a month or two. When i started taking the Biotin regular it just stopped.

I'm about 6 months out and have really started to see the hair fall out. I was getting scared at first, but now..I'm just going with the flow.

All I eat and drink all day long is Protein, so I really think it is just hormone related. Hopefully it will stop soon. Until then..

When i started taking the Biotin regular it just stopped.

Okay,maybe I'm the only one that doesn't know this, but what's Biotin?

I wasn't worried about Hair loss before this thread...I thought it was only rare cases..now it sounds like something everyone experiences.

No! not my hair..please..:( It's one of the only things I like about my looks.

My hairloss has subsided mostly but there are some days where it will come out loads! Some days, nothing. It's been wacky but my hair is coming back. I don't see areas where there is no hair anymore. Every area is filled and if i look closely.. I see tiny hairs coming in. Not even a millimeter long, but it's coming in.

I've lost about 15% of my hair and I'm 5 months post op. I've got some Nioxin hair products and that seems to be slowing it down, and I'm taking Vitamins for hair, skin and nails. I've started to wear my hair in a different style to hide the thinning.

Can anybody tell me how much Biotin you are taking. I can only get hold of Vitamins with 66mg of Biotin. (might be a UK restriction).

Hi white rabbie, I take 1000 mcg, I don't know how that correlates with mg? Anyone a chemist or a pharmacist or whatever you have to be to know the differance between mcg and mg? lol I barely passed HS chemistry.

As far as my nails, they are stronger than ever but I think that is due to taking my multi vitamin...Then we get to talking about the hair, i notice maybe about 8-10 strands in my hand each morning when i take a shower...I have been doing lots of Protein so I know that cant be the answer...But I will take any advice to keep my hair

Unless I misunderstood the pharmacist, 1000 mcg (micrograms) equals 10 mg (millagrams).

The highest potency of Biotin I have found is at GNC and is 2300 mcg per capsule.

What I'd like to know, and what no one seems to be able to answer, is how much Biotin is the recommended daily allowance?

http://www.supplementwatch.com/suplib/supplement.asp?DocId=1045

Here is a bunch of info including dosing and benefits

I have had several experiences with Hair loss, sad to say!!! I am a cancer survivor, I lost it in the process. The hair I lost, was a medium blonde, and straight as a board. The returning hair was darker and curly...I was lost! I have no idea what to do with curly hair!!! The first time I lost a good amount of hair, although it seems minor in comparison to the total loss I must say! I lost it following my divorce, and I cannot tell you how I lost weight, other than maybe stress, but I had lost about 50 pounds. It grew back in similar to before, but a shade or so darker!! The last time I lost a lot of hair, I was doing Atkins religiously. Which is why I do not buy into the lack of Protein being the cause. If you have ever done Atkins, you know you eat 90% protein!! I thought it grew back because I quit eating the Atkins plan. Now I wonder if it had just reached the point you all refer to, where it finally begins coming back. Regardless, I can tell you the hair did come back (although not as quickly as the weight I had lost!!). It also seemed to be darker, although the texture only changed following the chemo.

I am noticing the hair loss starting, but it has not progressed to a severe point yet. Last time during the Atkins thing, I almost burned up the vaccuum, it had so much hair wrapped so tightly around it!!!

Good Luck all---we shall get through this too!!!

Kat