Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

POLL Does Everyone Lose Their Hair??

Have you experienced hair loss due to the lapband?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced hair loss due to the lapband?

• I've had no hair loss whatsoever and I'm more than 4 months post-op.
    • I've experienced no hair loss whatsoever and I'm less than 4 months post-op.
    • I"ve lost 25% of my hair.
    • I've lost 50% of my hair.
    • I've lost enough hair im worried I will go bald.
    • None of these answers fit my situation.

I had about 50% loss of hair, a big big difference, my scalp was very visable. It finally started to grow back around the 10th months after surgery.

Doc said nothing would help it grow back except time and he was right (for me that is) I'm glad I didn't waste my money on any products.

I've had pretty major hairloss by my standards -- I'd estimate I've lost about 30%. I can't complain about it TOO MUCH because I had a lot to begin with and people I've told swear they can't tell. I really hope it stops soon or I'm going to pull a Telly and cut it all off. I cannot deal with flat hair -- I'd rather it be short and spunky!

I lost about 25% or so of my hair but it has since grown back. I am almost 14 months out from surgery. I have short hair so it's not really a big deal to me. ~Mandy

Don't let the hairloss get you down, it will grow back. Mine came back healthier and much nicer than pre-band. I have more hair now then I ever have. ~Mandy

I lost hair but I can't say how much. My loss started about 6 months out. It is scary to see your hair come out all day long by the full strand with root attached. My hair has gotten thinner but my hair was thick to begin with. Biotin really helped slow down the loss.

I am just over 4 months out and have just started to lose hair in the last few weeks. I probably lose between 15-30 strands of hair everytime I shower.

I honestly would rather be bald and healthy than have a full head of hair and be fat and unhealthy!

I had to answer that none applied. I'm about 6.5 mos post-op, and for a few weeks have been having minimal hairloss. More than before, but not enough that I'm worried. Twice I lost more than usual, but for the most part there are maybe 10 strands if I run my fingers through my hair in the shower. It's not noticeable, and already seems to be lessening. I'd say I was losing for the l ast 6 weeks or so. And the losing set in overnight for me. One day nothing, the next day about 10 strands.

I am coming up on my 4th anniversary of my surgery and while I have less hair today, at 61 then I did at 57, I also had less hair at 57 then I did at 53, 4 years pre-op. My conclusion: Hair is not a priority, so the faster you lose weight, the more hairloss you may experience, but when your weight stabilizes, your Hair growth should return to what it would have been had you not had surgery.

I have noticed that I am losing quite a few strands. Almost to the point where when I cook I'm scared it will fall in the food! Gross! I can't tell if this is more than the norm because I have let my hair grow out from being very short to shoulder lenghth. So maybe it just looks like more than usual. Anyway, I too would rather be thin and bald than have a fuller body with a full head of hair.

I have lost lots of hair, my best guess would be 30%. I am 9 months post op and didn't start losing hair until about 6 or 7 months. My dr. gave me prescription folic acid, but to be honest, I have not been taking my Vitamins like I should, so that doesn't help matters im sure. I am hoping that it will slow down soon. It's kinda scary. Everywhere I go, I see my hair laying on the ground. Not fun. That's my story....