Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excess Skin? How Bad!?!?!

I really want to know if you guys had bad excess skin? Or very little? Im severely scared of that.... I know I won't have a tight body or anything remotely close to a model but I'd like to have at least a body where I can wear a bathing suit. So how is it??

Thank you for posting this - I wonder the exact same thing.

Ditto!

I have lost 59lbs in 12 weeks and have excess skin on my arms and inner thighs. I am also 40 years old though. It all depends on how much weight you need to lose and your age. I will definitely be having plastic surgery after I reach goal. I have seen some younger people not have a noticeable problem with excess skin. Everyone is different because of their skin elasticity so I would not worry about the skin just worry about losing the weight and being healthy. The skin will either bounce back or it won't. It is a problem that can be fixed. When you have rapid weight loss it does have an affect on your skin with everyone but some is just worse than others. Good luck. Working out does help some.

like to have a body where I can wear a bathing suit.

Jess

Hmmmm, so would I :D

from your profile i see your a "youngun" of 25. when your that age, through mid 30's-40's your body reacts better to tightining up, firming up during this WL process

exercising throughout this whole process is beneficial, and continue to exercise after the fact is important, of course for ever and a day, but i'm not that religious about it :(

Do cardio, and weights. alternate days between the two. i didn't exercise enough, but i'm working on it now - better late than never

I do have hanging skin under my arms, tummy, hmmm - i think i'll stop there :D

After you've lost your weight, your skin does tighten, firm up a bit during the next couple of years I've heard that from veterans on the board. But this isn't a guarentee of course for everyone

I think you have to wait a bit before a plastic surgeon will perform anything - thats what i have heard, i might be mistaken

most people end up having some excess skin

hanging skin is better than a lot of extra weight "hanging" around :D

good luck with WLS on 8/15

speedy recovery

kathy

I am 45, 57 started at 250 now down to 180 and I have no, zero excess skin. I do however workout everyday and I lift wts so I have quite a bit of muscle mass. I wouldn't be afraid of the excess skin issue, it depends on your age, genetics (body type) and how long you have been fat/your skin has been stretched out. Good luck to you.

The comment about excess skin and how some folks say u can only get rid of it by surg or saying u will def have loose skin is not true!!! My pastor wife had bypass 5yrs ago at the age of 50 and she has no loose skin she is bikini ready. Based on individual, elastic in skin, Protein and Water in take and race/age

I have some excess skin at almost a year out, but I am also seeing improvement in everything except my upper thighs. I have a plastics consult tomorrow to talk about skin removal and possibly a breast lift. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how everything is shaping up. I just posted a new picture this morning to show my progress.

post-12374-13813659543748_thumb.jpg

I'm 40, and I weighed 255 at my highest (BMI of 40). I've lost 73 pounds.

Almost immediately as I lost weight, I started getting loose skin on my arms. I started lifting weights and within three weeks, I saw improvement.

It has now been a year, and I would say that I don't have any loose hanging skin anywhere. However, my belly is very loose/saggy, but I've also given birth to four children. It is getting better, but it will never be perfect.

I exercise pretty regularly. My legs also have muscle definition in my calves and thighs.

I am hoping some exercises targeting my belly will help as well. I think my belly is also from having kids and not just being overweight.

I was told the amount of excess skin also is determined by how long the skin has been stretched from the weight. I am really hoping that since I have only been this heavy for about 2 years it will bounce back.

Thank you so much for your feedback!! Much appreciated... I do hope I don't have too much excess skin! I been exercising goin every other day to gym for 2 hours... I started my pre op diet 6 days ago and I've lost 12 pounds- soo hyped about that!!!!!! My last weigh in is tomorrow I hope I lose another 2-3 pounds. Newhoooo Lyssa you look great Hun!! Keep it up! And to all you other sleevers, congrats on you weight loss please keep me informed on the skin...