Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do You Tell People When You Dont Want Them To Know?

I don't know why, maybe I'm just so proud of myself for making this life change, I tell everyone! I've lost 41 pounds and am a month out, I don't see the weight loss and I don't actually have people saying "wow you look great" but I eat tiny amounts, compared to before. And again I am proud of myself and my decision.

:)

I just tell people that I am on a low calorie, low carb, and high Protein diet. They usually ask what diet it is and I said it's my own after much research. I don't like the Atkins as it cuts out all carbs and people usually gain most of their weight back once they add them back in; therefore, I eat reduced carbs during meals. I cut out pop and other sugar to be healthy-- I learned at weight watchers that your body can only process a certain amount of sugar per day... the rest being stored as fat. And low calorie because you can't be on a diet and eat a 1000 calorie meal :)

You do what is comfortable but that's something I've been doing and it seems to be working just fine

@zeta the gallbladder comment is to cover for the surgery and time away from work not the actual losing of the weight. :)

@zeta the gallbladder comment is to cover for the surgery and time away from work not the actual losing of the weight. :)

I read it wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

I just tell them the truth: I eat less.

If I deem them worthy' date=' they hear the rest of the story.

If not, that's all they need to know.[/quote']

I love men! So simple- no drama!:)

I haven't told anyone about my surgery except for my husband and sister. It isn't a question of being ashamed or anything other than I don't think surgery that I have is anyone's business. That goes for gastric, gall bladder, appendix, rotator cuff or whatever. This is a personal matter that you are not obligated to share with anyone.

When people ask me how I have lost weight I tell them I eat a lot less. If they ask for more I tell them I pretty much do a low glycemic index diet and exercise more. Every bit is true. If they ask how much I have lost I tell them not enough.

Your life and your decisions are not a reality TV show where you are obligated to share every intimate detail to satisfy someone's voyeuristic needs. Tell them you eat less and if they press for more info tell them its a sensitive topic for you and you would rather not get into it. I'm sure most people will respect that. For those that don't and are ticked off -- that is their problem, NOT your problem.

I haven't told anyone about my surgery except for my husband and sister. It isn't a question of being ashamed or anything other than I don't think surgery that I have is anyone's business. That goes for gastric' date=' gall bladder, appendix, rotator cuff or whatever. This is a personal matter that you are not obligated to share with anyone.

When people ask me how I have lost weight I tell them I eat a lot less. If they ask for more I tell them I pretty much do a low glycemic index diet and exercise more. Every bit is true. If they ask how much I have lost I tell them not enough.

Your life and your decisions are not a reality TV show where you are obligated to share every intimate detail to satisfy someone's voyeuristic needs. Tell them you eat less and if they press for more info tell them its a sensitive topic for you and you would rather not get into it. I'm sure most people will respect that. For those that don't and are ticked off -- that is their problem, NOT your problem.[/quote']

Thank you! :)

I tell people the paleo diet ,( similar to Atkins )and smaller portions !

I tell people that I think ( sometimes I'm not always right) that are mature enough to handle and or deal with information about it. I work in a dental office. Before my surgery I was telling everyone ( looking for approval and or support cause I was so damn scared). Not really the best move. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people were curious and supportive. Then I had co-workers and patients who were definitely not. Now, after the surgery....I don't share anything really with the co-workers who were unsupported ( and mean) and for the patients that will come back for appts.....not that interested in what they have to say about anything about me. I will keep it about their appt only and let them know I'm fine ( but noooo information). Now when someone comments about how great I'm looking I try to asses whether or not to say anything...it's my business. If someone is truly mature enough and seems very interested then I'll tell them. If I know that they are shallow and just want to know what I'm doing? I just say good ole diet and exercise and smile and walk away. It case by case. You do get to find out a little more about people then you want when having this surgery. It' good and bad.

hi carrie,

i am going in for my op - sleeve on 21st aug.

i too have a low bmi - 32

i was worried as i had not come across anyone else on forums with this low bmi having the op. it is self funded.

how do you feel about what you have done? please be honest i hope you are ok, but i am worried - i guess you may have been similar?

thanks

hi carrie' date='

i am going in for my op - sleeve on 21st aug.

i too have a low bmi - 32

i was worried as i had not come across anyone else on forums with this low bmi having the op. it is self funded.

how do you feel about what you have done? please be honest i hope you are ok, but i am worried - i guess you may have been similar?

thanks[/quote']

Hi! I'm almost 2 weeks out and I don't regret anything! I'm looking forward to the day I can have a tiny bit of everything. I feel pretty good. Sometimes it's hard to get all the Fluid in. I've never had a problem getting my Protein in though. Having to self-pay sucked but I think it's money well spent. I can't believe my blood pressure is already normal. I haven't seen anyone post that they regretted their vsg decision...just that they didn't do it sooner. :)

Honestly, I don't really feel people have to know, especially co-workers and acquaintances. So for them they get the eat less, exercise more and seeing the NUT response. I do not want my husband's family to know because the don't like me and can be just plain mean and frankly I don't like them. There is one person that means alot to me and I am worried about telling her. She is so anti-surgery. But I have decided I will tell her after the fact and not before. I dont' feel like hearing the negativity. At that point if she loves me as my friend she will stick by me. She has been a very important person in my life and I would like to keep in that way. However if she shuns me then I guess are relationship is not what it seems.

Honestly' date=' I don't really feel people have to know, especially co-workers and acquaintances. So for them they get the eat less, exercise more and seeing the NUT response. I do not want my husband's family to know because the don't like me and can be just plain mean and frankly I don't like them. There is one person that means alot to me and I am worried about telling her. She is so anti-surgery. But I have decided I will tell her after the fact and not before. I dont' feel like hearing the negativity. At that point if she loves me as my friend she will stick by me. She has been a very important person in my life and I would like to keep in that way. However if she shuns me then I guess are relationship is not what it seems.[/quote']

I feel you regarding your husband's family bc it is the same situation with me... I just hope he doesn't slip up and say something....

I feel you regarding your husband's family bc it is the same situation with me... I just hope he doesn't slip up and say something....

Mine has learned his lesson on slipping up! I doubt he will make the same mistake twice :-)