Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You Had The Choice - Would You Do It Again?

No, I wish I didn't do it and would not do it again if I had the chance to do it over again. Eventually I could have lost the weight on my own. I am totally not happy.

Wassamatter, Mr T? Are you feeling sick or in pain? I'm sorry to hear it. How far post-op are you?

here's the funny thing...I will be 3 weeks post op Thursday. never threw up, no pain at all, eating different foods, started 385 on pre op diet on Aug 25th, am now 351. Just not happy. Missing on a lot of social fun and miserable. I should have done it on my own.

here's the funny thing...I will be 3 weeks post op Thursday. never threw up, no pain at all, eating different foods, started 385 on pre op diet on Aug 25th, am now 351. Just not happy. Missing on a lot of social fun and miserable. I should have done it on my own.

Well, {{{hugs}}} I do hope you feel happy again soon. Hang in there! Now it's done, eventually you will probably adjust in certain ways and feel better, but meanwhile I hope you're not too miserable.

Allow me to be perfectly honest, if this question was asked of me within the first 3 weeks of my surgery...I would have screamed from the rooftop "DONT DO THIS TO YOURSELF"..

HOWEVER, now that I'm officially 7 weeks out (what a difference a day makes) I must say it has been worth every moment....I say this with the understanding that I have more hills to to cross and and valleys to wade in.

My only suggestion is research, talk to others, read what ever you can find...BUT search your own heart, only you know who you are as a person and what your own personal strength and determination is....Realize this is a lifelong decision and no turning around once the surgery has been completed....understand the life changes that will need to be made....and understand if you do not follow through with that commitment..or if you believe this surgery will take care of it all......then its all for not...

Well I'm now 10 weeks out & the bacteria infection I had in early Aug was back in early Sept. Just finished another 2 week round of antibiotics.

I have also had a stomach barium X-ray, Esoph manomtery & an EGD. I still have difficulty eating & cant seem to get enough fluids down. I also seem to be lactose intolerant & never was before. food won't go down & stay down. I really feel like I have ruined my life. I see the GI doc again tomorrow, just not sure what he can do for me.

It's sad to think I will feel this way the rest of my life. So YES, I definitely regret doing this.

I waited 15 years to have WLS. Doctors said I was a great candidate back in my 30's. I wasn't ready. They would tell me over and over again. I wasn't ready. I had friends who had it and they did great. I wasn't ready. My sister had it and did fantastic. I wasn't ready. Then one day I was. I decided I wanted my body to work for me... that I wanted my tummy to be a tool of moderation... that I was willing to risk the surgery (which was so scary to me) and trust that God was in control... He was... He is... I have zero regrets.

I still struggle with food. The habit of eating. Loneliness when I am not eating. But I take it one day at a time. I just keep pluggin along - trying to eat Protein - trying to drink Water - trying to walk... Just went to my 3 month check in. Almost at 90 pounds. Doctor is thrilled. I am humble and thankful.

Hi everyone' date='

Well, I'm a newbie to the group...A super-newbie, really - since I'm still trying to decide whether to take the plunge into WLS or not. I swear...the more research I do, the more confused I get! It's good to research all the 'facts and statistics', but I feel there is still such a huge 'uknown' to it all. I hate 'unknowns'!! I know every person's experience is different...and I also know there's no way for me to predict exactly how my body & mind will handle the sleeve before going ahead with it. (Sure would make this decision easier, if I could though!) Anywhoo...I was thinking it might help to hear from those who've had the surgery. My biggest question is the whole, "If I knew then what I know now" deal. If you could do it all over again....would you? I totally welcome any responses...the good...the bad...or the ugly :) Thanks in advance. This seems like a really great forum for support.[/quote']

Hi,

I wasted three years going back and forth on whether to have wls. During that time, I lost 56 pounds and gained 60 back. I have also lost up to 100 pounds 3 times during my sdult life and gained that back as well. There comes a time in life when you have to get off the see saw and choose healthy living over fear of wls. I can tell you, I can't wait for my surgery and to being thin. I have cheated my wife, my son, and myself out of trips and activities we could have go on and done had I not been so heavy.

The journey will not be easy and ther are things you need to consider with any surgery, but when you get down to it, choose your health over you fears. Go into your decision with eyes wide open and you will be fine. I hope this is a little help to you.

I'm only 3 1/2 weeks out and still on liquid diet..I'm only 27 yrs old, 5'1 weighed 240 lbs and on blood pressure Meds. I had my surgery 8-24 and now I weigh 205 and am already off my blood pressure Meds. It's a slow process with some and a fast one with others. Everyone is different and u cant compare urself to all of us but I wud definitely do it again. I regret that I didn't do it earlier and cud have been at my goal already and wearing that size 7/8!! Lol but I see a difference in all my clothes, in my stomach, in my energy, even in sex! Lol yes I wud do it again in a heartbeat!!!

I am only 1 week post surgery. I am so glad I started working on the psych issues before surgery. My biggest challenge is the "head" hunger. Get the emotional issues out of the way before you do your surgery. I have already lost 25% of my total goal.

I do think that being organized has helped me. It is easy for me to plan my meals and make sure I take things with me. Not so much for my friend who does everything on the fly.

Just my 2 cents worth

I would do it again in a heartbeat! It's the best thing I EVER did for myself...even through the nausea and first few weeks are hard, but it all passes...at least for me it has. I'm 50 pounds down and Thursday will be 7 weeks (lost 17 pre-op diet). I only wish I did it sooner!

Best of luck!

I would do it again in a heartbeat! It's the best thing I EVER did for myself...even through the nausea and first few weeks are hard' date=' but it all passes...at least for me it has. I'm 50 pounds down and Thursday will be 7 weeks (lost 17 pre-op diet). I only wish I did it sooner!

Best of luck![/quote']

P.S. Couldn't agree more with CynthiaS....work on the emotional part first or concurrently and get to the issues of why/how you got to the weight you are :). We've all got a reason (or 2)! They dont automatically go away with the weight....

There is way more pain than I anticipated. The gas that they put into your body is a killer!!! Hurts so bad. Tried all the walking. I was walking for like 2 hours in the hospital. And still at home am getting those weird pains in my chest cavity. That they insist is gas. The soreness in your belly is rough too. For wiping after you pee to showering to getting up out of the chair. Barely slept in my own bed after 5 days. Feels like ur stomach is stinging near the inscisions. Way too much fun for me!! But as I finish out day 6. And it's gotten just a smidge better I'm feeling hungry at least that's what I feel it is. I'm starting to worry about feeling like that all the time.

I am a little over 4 months post op and down 95 lbs. I would do it over again in a heartbeat. No problems at all. Just wish I would have done it sooner.

Holy cow. That weight loss is awesome!!! How much did you start out at on surgery date??

i dont mean to discourage anyone but if i had to do this again' date=' i absolutely WOULD NOT!!!!! i was the 1 out of 100 that was diagnosed with a leak (at week 5) and i became seriously ill. i didnt eat for over a month and i threw up bile about 2-10x a day! the 2x per day were my great days although i fought nausea non stop but my 10x per day days were the ones where i was convinced i was going to die! the drs threw around the word fatal one too many times to my liking. i had 3 emergency procedures and even made a few er visits. it got to the point where i was seeing my drs atleast 2x a week & calling my surgeons partner crying every single day!!!!

im down over 100lbs in less than 8months. i look great & feel great now but at the risk of going through that life changing experience, NEVER![/quote']

I'm sorry you went through that. I'm happy though you lost 100 pounds. How are you feeling now & do you look at yourself saying it was worth it?? im only asking because I am having some serious problems that haven't really been diagnosed. Every 2 or 3 weeks my stomach goes into these horrible pain bouts I break out into a sweat and I get weak every time. I couldn't hardly move today for 4 hrs. I'm so frustrated. Did you ever feel like that? Again congrats on you huge drop :-)

neek41

I'm sorry you went through that. I'm happy though you lost 100 pounds. How are you feeling now & do you look at yourself saying it was worth it?? im only asking because I am having some serious problems that haven't really been diagnosed. Every 2 or 3 weeks my stomach goes into these horrible pain bouts I break out into a sweat and I get weak every time. I couldn't hardly move today for 4 hrs. I'm so frustrated. Did you ever feel like that? Again congrats on you huge drop :-)

neek41

Yes i feel much better! After i got thamine shot i start feeling much better increased my protein....