Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control?... Possibly Tmi

The dr told me that the pill wouldn't work any more for me because it would go through my system too fast. They told us to use other means. I like the regulation of the pill and was wondering what you guys were doing for BC. Thanks.

I was told the same, using the dreaded condoms...grrr! I am thinking an IUD but my insurance doesnt cover it, weird huh? They cover weight loss surgery ( in full 100%) but not birth control like that, unbelievable! My husband is considering a vasectomy since we are 46 and 44, dont need any more kids!

My husband is considering a vasectomy an I'm completely ok with that as I'm 39 and he's 46. I just like the 3 weeks off/1 week on predictability of the pill. I was thinking the shot maybe? Not sure...

I got the mirena when I was in the process of getting sleeved. My insurance didn't cover it either, but my prescription plan covered the device. I just had to pay for the office visit to have it inserted.

Thanks for the info, I will check and see if my prescription plan covers it, I never thought of that!

I got the Mirena also. I got it a week to my surgery. I have to say that I'm still debating on whether to keep it or switch to a copper IUD, since the Mirena has hormones in them. The reason I say this is because on July 3rd (last day of my period) it was inserted at my obgyn's office. By July 14th, 4 days after my surgery and 11days after the last day of my cycle I got my period AGAIN! What was different this time was that it lasted a good 2.5weeks! I called my surgeon and as suspected he said it has nothing to do with my VSG surgery. Then I called my Obgyn and sure enough the said it was normal. I was so glad when it was over. Fastward to 2 days ago I started to have tender and sore breast almost like when I was pregnant. Well that scared the crap out of me and I got a home pregnancy test yesterday, thankfully it showed up negative. I've since then searched online and found that this is also common with the Mirena. And will likely go away but not sure how long. I'm pretty sure all this has to do with the hormones. Not to mention that from the second week after my surgery I've lost about a pound a week. Now this maybe the normal 3-week stall but I'm thinking the Mirena might have something to do with it. just my two cents.

I had the Copper IUD {Paragaurd} in for 4 years and after about 2 it gave me horrible cramps and heavy bleeding....my sex drive went down the drain so I got it removed. I have been BC free for the past several months however I know I need to get on SOMETHING STRONG especially since my Hubby will be returning soon not to add my surgery should be around December time frame~~~ I wanted the least invasive form which would be the pill...But I need something that will WORK~ Decisions.....decisions.......ughhhhhh...... :unsure: :unsure:

T~ :wub:

I have the para guard copper IUD. And my only complaint is that I had to have a new one put in yesterday because my first one had become embedded into y cervix after falling from my uterus after 8 mos. If TMI sorry. But other than that I've had no complications.

I was told that I can still use the nuvaring after surgery.

I use Depo (the 3 month shot) and love it. I've been using it for about 15 years with no problems, and no periods. I highly recommend, but do warn that some women do gain weight with it, but I've been lucky there as well. Good luck in your research.

My doctor told me that birth control pills will work eventually, that isn't true? You guys are making me nervous...I guess I need to find another option

This is one of my biggest fears. I have three children the last one was a surprise baby due to failed birth control. When I say failed birth control I had a tubal ligation after my second child and three years later on Christmas I turn up pregnant. Now I have had my tubes tied again and my husband had a vasectomy but still have fears. I will be talking to my doctor to try and get another form of birth control.

Tara

I use Depo (the 3 month shot) and love it. I've been using it for about 15 years with no problems' date=' and no periods. I highly recommend, but do warn that some women do gain weight with it, but I've been lucky there as well. Good luck in your research.[/quote']

I was just about to ask if anyone has used depo? My program requires 2 forms of birth controll my husband had a vasectomy so I need 1 more and am considering Depo I used it a lonnnng time ago for 6 months but can't remember why I quit....

I use Mirena since May. Had doubts but now I barely have a period. Love it now but first few months were tough. Spotted every day.