Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Post Op And Still Cannot Lay On My Side. :(

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anyone else was having trouble sleeping on anything other than their back? I have the hardest time sleeping on my back and I've had a headache since 2nd day post op. I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this?

My doctor used a drain, while I was in the hospital. At almost 2 months post op, I still can't lay in my left side. It feels very uncomfortable. My right side, however, is fine. Things will get better. Good luck & congrats on your surgery!

no drain here but it did take 2 weeks before I was comfy on either side! Just takes time. Hang in there!

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anyone else was having trouble sleeping on anything other than their back? I have the hardest time sleeping on my back and I've had a headache since 2nd day post op. I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this?

My NUT came and saw in the hospital and gave me my"bean" it is a life saver! Just a jelly bean shaped pillow i put under my side when sleeping. It allows me to sleep on my side instead of my back. It has a little handle so I carry it with me like a purse. I use it to apply pressure to my main insicision so I can move more easily too.

I am 4 weeks post op and last night was the first nite I was able to sleep on either side with no discomfort.

I've found that I have to "prop" the belly on pillows when laying on my sides, and then all is fine. I'm a side sleeper, and knew it would be an issue. I only took my pain meds at night to help with sleep, and slept with pillows supporting my stomach and had very restful sleep.

I am only 4 weeks out now so I truly understand how hard it is not to be able to do the little things. I had severe nerve pain and could not even lie down for the first two weeks. I had to sleep, sitting on the couch, surrounded by pillows. I now can sleep in bed but am unable to lie on my side. If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago if having the surgery was worth it I would have said, "NO, run for your life!".... But with that said, with each passing day, it gets better and better, and I am very glad I had the surgery. Keep your head up, you will be able to do the things you want; We all just recover on very different timelines... Best of Luck to you :)

Hi guys!

I'm just a lil over two weeks out and I can already sleep on my stomach side I think everyone just heals differently hang in there :-)

I just had surgery on Monday and have had abdominal surgeries before. It will hurt laying on your side but try it with your knees bent almost in a fetal position...it helps.

My surgeon said I would have that pain afterwards because he's touching the spleen and I guess it's bruised on the inside so it will take about a week or 2 to relax it

good luck

Thank you, everyone! I know it takes time to heal, I was just wondering if it was normal and if I'd eventually be able to sleep on my side again. So thank you for the responses! It does make me feel a lot better because these past few days have been extremely hard. It is getting easier and easier as each day passes though. I knew it was going to be a hard journey still but it was a little more than I had anticipated. I am still happy to see results eventually as time passes. I know I will get there but it will take time. So thank you everyone!!!

I wasn't able to lay/sleep on my side until I was about 3 weeks post-op. :)

I am five days post op not really sleeping so uncomfortable left side is a tad bit swollen. I came on here to see how everyone elae has been holding up good to know that it gets better....

Thank you' date=' everyone! I know it takes time to heal, I was just wondering if it was normal and if I'd eventually be able to sleep on my side again. So thank you for the responses! It does make me feel a lot better because these past few days have been extremely hard. It is getting easier and easier as each day passes though. I knew it was going to be a hard journey still but it was a little more than I had anticipated. I am still happy to see results eventually as time passes. I know I will get there but it will take time. So thank you everyone!!![/quote']

Prissy I know the first week is really hard and emotional I broke down and cried I was tired and had no energy and I'm use to being on the go but I'm going into week three now and I'm my normal self again wait till u can eat mushies it gets so much better. Chin up ur in my prayers! :-)

Thank you! ???? I am so glad I joined this website to have extra support from others that are going through the same thing! I wish you all the best as well!! ????