Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,I'm new here!

I'm in the process of waiting for my insurance to approve my gastric sleeving. My insurance has 3 requirements and which I meet all of them.

The first being have a BMI of 40 or 35 with complications. (I have both)

Have a 5 year history of obesity, ( have that as well)

and be over the age of 21, bingo I'm 24.

Now i'm just in like limbo waiting for approval so I can get this surgery going! I'm nervous, anxious and all the above!

Is it as scary as it seems? Does the weight come off and stay off? I'm just a little anxious as i've stated and would like to get to know people who have already hadthe surgery and have knowledge to pass on!

Thanks so much! BTW My name is Rachel and I'm from Cincinnati Ohio! <3 ;)

Hi Rachel, and welcome! You have definitely come to the right place for answers and support. The people on here are awesome! I'm preop so I can't answer your questions, just wanted to say hi to my fellow Ohioan...I'm from Columbus.

Best of luck to you! VST is a great place to wait out the insurance process. I learned so much here when I was pre-op!

Hi Rachel! This forum helped me make the decision to have surgery. Best decision I ever made. To answer your question about the weight staying off - it is up to you. You'll have to learn to change your eating habits. The sleeve is a tool to help you make the diet changes that you've been unable to do before the sleeve. My hunger is reduced, so it is so much easier to eat healthy food. You'll have to make those choices. Portion Control becomes easier, but eventually you'll be able to eat most if not all the things you ate pre-surgery. You'll need to chose not to graze all day nor have tons of sugar filled drinks. While it takes some work, I find it to be so much easier to do the things I knew I should have been doing pre-surgery.

Thank you so much all for welcoming me! tfaizo , Irishmama, sunnycox and sallyincincinnati! and sunny thank you so much for your honesty. I'm pretty excited to get this tool to help lose the weight! And oh my gosh sally! down 43 pounds already?! that is amazing! I can't even imagine being down 43 pounds right now! that would make me in the 220s and I haven't seen those in years! that is amazing! I go and get my next check up august 15th the scope thing. and today I just got my pre approval letter from insurance i'm stoked!

That is great news.... congratulations !

Thank you so much! I'm pretty excited now! (tfaizo)

Great news Rachel!!

Who is your Doc?

I started off at 239, lost 10 pre-op...so I guess technically I've lost 33 lbs since the surgery. Lol.

Either way, It's never coming back!

If you ever need a buddy to chat with, please feel free to contact me. :-)

aww thanks sally! My doctor is Trace Curry. I really liked him and his staff, they are nothing but friendly and keep in touch to make sure all is goig to plan. but hey 33 43 still a great weightloss! success! aww and thank you! I would like a buddy hahaha ^_^

zebrasprinkles, congats on your pre approval!! How exciting!! I am still awaiting approval myself (just submitted to insurance 8/9/12.) What insurance company do you have? How long did it take from the date you submitted to insurance to the day you received the letter from them??

Hey misskatie! I have united healthcare through rocktenn. They submitted my paperwork August 3 and I got my letter in the mail postmarked on the sixth today! They said I fit the criteria so my next step is the ekg on the 15th where I hope they set me up with a date! I hope yours goes as fast as mine!