Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Those Taking A Ppi Daily

So lately (8 weeks post op) I've been feeling like I have a tape worm lol. I am hungry most of the day. I'm getting at least 60g or Protein, often more because I've been hungry. I've been taking a PPI (Prevacid) since I left the hospital and slated to take it for 3 months. I've been stalled for 2 weeks and hungry so I'm trying to think of everything and trying to manipulate what I can to try to "jump start" me again.

My question is when do you take your PPI? I've always taken mine at night, before bed. No particular reason why. When I came home I had, what seemed like, a trillion pills to take and it just ended in the night bunch. Looking at the box tonight I noticed it said take in the morning before your first meal. I wonder should I switch to taking it in the morning? When do you take your PPI and have you noticed a difference if you switched?

The hunger will calm down soon once the remaining Grehlin gets more out of your system. I take my ppi whenever I remember. It doesn't seem to make a difference for me as long as its once a day.

I take mine in the morning and at bedtime, But if I miss a few doses I start to feel more hungry, unless it is just more acid in the stomach. My doctor tells me to take it a half hr before I take anything else and eat. Maybe you need a bigger dose?.

I take it in the morning. You're not supposed to take it within 2 hours of Calcium or Iron.< /p>

I actually take two, one in the morning with Breakfast, and the other in the evening with supper, as it says to take with meals.

I actually take two, one in the morning with breakfast, and the other in the evening with supper, as it says to take with meals.

Do you take 2-24hr pills? Or some other dosage.

I'm going to switch to morning and see if I feel a difference, then I'll call my surgeon after a while to see if I should increase.

Do you take 2-24hr pills? Or some other dosage.

I take two 20 mg each omeprazole (generic prilosec), I am not sure what the 24 hr dosage is, I get mine in the pharmacy via prescription, not sure about the over the counter stuff - I had a stricture and stent, both my original surgeon and my "fix it" surgeon gave me these dosages.

My rx is for 2 pills daily, but I'm opting to take just 1. I take it at night, as I lay down for bed. (I keep them on my nightstand with a bottle of Water.)

I stalled horribly - almost my first 3 months after surgery were spent stalled solid. I did play around with my PPI during that time - both times of day and quantity and it never made a difference.

If you're wanting to switch it up because you've not lost in 2 weeks, don't. Trying to "fix" stalls is rarely productive. Just wait it out. 2 weeks isn't really a stall - you're still good.

If you're just soliciting info to see what options might be - my dosage is 20mg Omeprazole, 2x daily. At first I was having heartburn even with the two. But now I manage nicely with one. I can even skip a day or two, but usually by day 3 I'm feeling it. I'm hoping I can wean off, eventually. I'm not liking the long term indications of PPIs.

HTH :)

I came home from the hospital taking liquid Zantac twice daily. After 4 weeks I started having horrible breakthrough acid reflux. I called my surgeon and he added a daily dissolvable Prevacid tablet (I take that at night). I've been great since, with no acid issues at all.