Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extream Post Op Diet ?

Im just reading so much from other peoples post op diet progression, and nothing has been as extream as what my doctor is asking. Im 1week post op, and am still on Clear liquids. Here is a time line of his phases he gave to me

1-2 week (15 days) post op - clear liquid ( week 2 incorpate protien shakes and vitiams)

3-4 week - (15 days) puree foods - and he is very strick on this stage

month 2-4 -(60 days) soft food

month 5- finaly regular food

So pretty much 5 month before regular food, just comparing to all that I've read this sounds crazy, and almost torturous! Give me your thoughts.

Wow! That is quite extreme. I thought my doctor was by keeping his patients on liquids for 3 weeks, but I got to eat anything my sleeve would tolerate at week 6. As you read more and more on these boards, you will learn that the doctors all have different rules, some more extreme than others.

That sounds almost just like the one I had to follow. The difference in mine came at the soft food to regular food progression. I did not have to wait five months. My instructions were more of an "as tolerated" kind of thing to progress to regular food. I was only on 'soft food' for a couple of weeks.

All I have is the packet from the informational seminar but they put in the pre-op & post-op diets. I have to be on liquids for 2 weeks pre-op (they don't say this but I'm guessing at least the day before surgery will be clear liquids).

Post-op - liquid Protein diet for 3 more weeks

soft food (puree?) for 4th week.

After 4 weeks advance to regular foods as stomach will tolerate.

So by one month out I guess I'll be on regular food. So 5 months seems a little strict - but you can look at it this way - you may lose more weight that way!!! :D

Do you know what they define as "soft foods"? I thought mine was a little extreme too because I was told three months before a regular diet. However, I went in for my 4 week post-op appointment where I'd be transitioned from pureed to soft foods and all I was told was to stay away from raw fruits and veggies, nuts, red meat (could try some ground beef), and high Fiber foods. She did say I could try lettuce at 6 weeks post-op, which I am now but haven't yet. So even though the months of "soft foods" may sound restrictive, it's really not so much, at least for me. But, again, I know every doctor is different... don't freak out, you will be ok!

Wow that is extreme - methinks you may hit goal by 5 months ha-ha :)

I was 3 weeks of liquids (and I could have my Protein shakes, but strained all soups), then soft/mushy foods for another 3 weeks, and progressed to real food at 6 weeks post. Real foods was still soft things like eggs, chicken salad etc - took a bit for chicken breast, etc. 5 months seems like a long time, but Dr's have their reasons.

Wow tht does seem extreme. I was two weeks liquid which included yogurt, 3rd wk soft & from there wht i can tolerate

Im just reading so much from other peoples post op diet progression, and nothing has been as extream as what my doctor is asking. Im 1week post op, and am still on Clear Liquids. Here is a time line of his phases he gave to me

1-2 week (15 days) post op - clear liquid ( week 2 incorpate protien shakes and vitiams)

So pretty much 5 month before regular food, just comparing to all that I've read this sounds crazy, and almost torturous! Give me your thoughts.

My diet is just like this during the1st week how do you get your Protein in??? I don't wanna lose my hair?

My diet is just like this during the1st week how do you get your Protein in??? I don't wanna lose my hair?

Isopure makes clear Protein drinks that are RTD. Honestly they taste like crap, but they fit the bill.

Well, actually it wasn't even the taste that I didn't like, it was the dry mouth feeling they left.

Thanks OTR, I'm going to order some.

Im just reading so much from other peoples post op diet progression' date=' and nothing has been as extream as what my doctor is asking. Im 1week post op, and am still on Clear liquids. Here is a time line of his phases he gave to me

So pretty much 5 month before regular food, just comparing to all that I've read this sounds crazy, and almost torturous! Give me your thoughts.[/quote']

My diet is pretty close to yours, why did we get stuck with the strick drs?

Week 1 clear liquids w/ Vitamins and Calcium

Week 2-4 full liquids 3protein shakes a day w/vitamins and Calcium

Week 5-6 Puréed food

Week 7-8 soft food

Week 9 regular diet

Kimberly82: my post-op diet is the same as yours. My surgeon and NUT urged that this was the proper way for your stomach to heal. I have been able to follow it so far, though it's been tough.

OP - almost identical to mine.

Sent from my mobile productivity killer.