Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

20% Regain Weight After 2 Years

Had my psych eval today & really enjoyed talking to Dr. Jay Ashmore. He threw out that about 20% of people that had WLS regain their weight after two years-- which another angle is 80% DON'T.

One of my considerations in choosing between VSG & RNY is the long-term odds. It didn't help to talk to a friend from years ago that had a RNY & went from 210 to 104 & has maintained that weight for 3+ years. My concern has never been the loss so much as the maintenance.

So did anyone else have these concerns?

My MD said that everything depend on you. If you cannot hold yourself you will gain everything back because as soon as you start feeling good you will allow more and more forbidden food and will start eat more and end up with gaining back all weight. but it you learn how to eat healthy and always would remember how hard you get to that weight point it will stop you from bite of this and bit of that and you would be able to maintain the weight.

Did he offer a breakdown on weight regain vs procedure type? I know several people who've had RNY and regained at least a sizable portion of the weight, even if not all of it. Even still, those statistics you cite compare favorably to what I've heard, which is that 95% or so of those who lose weight on their own regain it. I think the retention of the stomach in RNY and its associated production of the ghrelin hormone contribute to weight regain.

My MD said that everything depend on you. If you cannot hold yourself you will gain everything back because as soon as you start feeling good you will allow more and more forbidden food and will start eat more and end up with gaining back all weight. but it you learn how to eat healthy and always would remember how hard you get to that weight point it will stop you from bite of this and bit of that and you would be able to maintain the weight.

Very true. As has been quoted here before, they sleeve our stomachs, not our heads.

Had my psych eval today & really enjoyed talking to Dr. Jay Ashmore. He threw out that about 20% of people that had WLS regain their weight after two years-- which another angle is 80% DON'T.

One of my considerations in choosing between VSG & RNY is the long-term odds. It didn't help to talk to a friend from years ago that had a RNY & went from 210 to 104 & has maintained that weight for 3+ years. My concern has never been the loss so much as the maintenance.

So did anyone else have these concerns?

OP, who's you're doctor? I had my psych consult with Dr. Ashmore as well.

I know for sure that the stomach of the RNY stretches way more than the VSG stomach does.

My daughter had the RNY before I was sleeved. She can eat at least 4 times more than I can eat.I know at 3 years out, I'll never be able to eat as much as she can eat.

This gentleman who comes to the medical side of the weight loss office i go to, has regained all of the 150lbs he lost with the RNY. He is now working on his eating habits.

My surgeon is Dr. Nick Nicholson, I go see him Thursday.

I agree with it not stretching as much & have seen several mentions of a "pouch reset diet" of a few days to get back on track.

I'm another patient of Dr. Nick and attend Dr. Ashmore's weekly group now. Dr. Ashmore reason for 20 percent gaining their weight back isn't due to stomach stretching but due to grazing. He has said on multiple occassions it is the number one reason people aren't successful post VSG.

BTW, for you Dallas girls, we started a monthly support group where we get together the first Saturday of each month for lunch. If you ate interested, send me your first name, what city you live in and your email address and I will add you to the list.

I love Dr. Ashmore! And I love the way you've decided to look at it. 80% ARE successful. Is that the decision you make every single day?

I too worry about maintenance, but I'm working on how to address my triggers and how to solidify successful behaviors. I WANT to be that 80% so I am going to be, dang it! (Praying as well, you know, just in case he he... hey it can't hurt!)

For anyone who doesn't know, Dr. Ashmore does a free weekly group at Baylor Plano on Thursdays at 5:30 pm. If you are interested in his group and you've seen him previously, just call his office and see if you can join. He has to okay it to make sure you are a good fit. If you haven't seen him before, you can schedule an appointment and

Yes ma'am, actually I have been going for a while, but thank you for telling me! IDK if I can make the support group tomorrow night for all but I'll be there this thursday (I usually have my hair in a french braid and no makeup - I was sitting by the door this past thursday, white shirt/green shorts... I think you had a black top on, right?). Hope to see you! Thanks again for the info... and love the thread. I hadn't thought about RNYs vs VSGs and regain.

Yes ma'am' date=' actually I have been going for a while, but thank you for telling me! IDK if I can make the support group tomorrow night for all but I'll be there this thursday (I usually have my hair in a french braid and no makeup - I was sitting by the door this past thursday, white shirt/green shorts... I think you had a black top on, right?). Hope to see you! Thanks again for the info... and love the thread. I hadn't thought about RNYs vs VSGs and regain.[/quote']

I edited my post to ne mote generic after I saw your pm. Are you the one close to goal who is a workout fanatic now? That's the only girl I can picture right now but obviously not too well since I don't know if it was you or not. I have no idea what I was wearing, but if you are the girl I described, I was sitting almost directly across from you. I was 3rd from the end near Dr. Jay. Anyway, I be there tomorrow and Thursday I will say hi when I see you. Oh, and of you are the one who exercises a lot, ignore my pm question. You'd be WAY beyond me! :-)

Hi Amy! I will be there tonight & look for you! I a look forward to it!

There are 3 of us at work who have had WLS; two had RNY and I had the sleeve. The gentleman who had RNY is a year out and doing great. The woman is 1 1/2 yrs. out, and looks terrible. Yesterday, at a training, she sat down with a plate of pastries. Hmmmm.....