Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Pre-Op Diet

I start my pre-op diet on the 8th. Currently I am on the pre pre-op diet, the one that makes me want to stuff my face with everything that I feel I will not be able to enjoy again; am I the only one going through this emotional phase?

Definitely not! A post with this same subject/concern comes up quite regularly. I think it is totally normal to want to eat everything you love before surgery. You may still be able to have most of the foods you love at some point postop. However, you won't be able to ever have them in the same quantity. There is some grieving of that postop, at least for me anyway. Good luck to you in your journey!

I had the same feelings, and I will admit I visited a couple of places the weekend before I started my pre op. Funny thing is the night before I was to start my pre op diet. I wanted Oreo Cheesecake from the Cheesecake factory. I drove 30 minutes to get it and they were out. I was so intent on the oreo that I didn't get any of the 30 other kind. I walked upstairs to the movie theater and watched a movie with only a Water to drink. I think something clicked with me about food that very moment, because I found the pre op diet easy. I didn't want to cheat once. Only thing I had was 2 cups of chicken bullion vs. one cup of broth. Just find a routine with your pre op and you will do great.

I heard it called "food funerals". Stuffing my face for sure...not good!

Oh, and yes I did that same "diet" too prior to my preop. I did it right up to the very time I had to start my preop diet.

I've been having regular food funerals the past few weeks also! But since I've set my mind on wls surgery, & especially since I set my date, somehow it doesn't taste as satisfying.

Unfortunately, can't say the same for my pepsi addiction! Ready to quit and found a FULL CASE!! Can you say OMG?!? dumped several down the drain, and "forcing" myself to drink the rest this week. No more after Monday, I promise!

omg I am SO right there with you!! trying to quit diet coke made me actually CRY this morning!!! LOL! can you believe that?! I'm already mourning the "loss" of my comfort foods.. but at the same time I can't wait to get started on my new healthier lifestyle..

The best way to look at it said my Surgeon and I quote- " we have all lost weight at one point and gained it back and sometimes even more... Well with the pre op diet look at it as if u will lose it for good!!! No gaining those 5-20 pounds back cus your on your way to a new change!!" - this made lots of sense to me so I been trying my best to lose it I been looking at food like my enemy and the gym as my best friend!! :) hope that helps a lil... You can do it !!!!!!

I started my Pre-op diet yesterday and I must say I am doing good. I am just asking GOD to really help me thru this stage but I am also trying to stay busy too. :)

Is anyone having gas with the pre-op diet?

I am on my pre-op diet as well. It feels so strange because I have done this all before with the lap band! I even said goodbye to my beloved diet pop two years ago, only to realize I could have it again.

I feel more mentally ready this time because I have dealt with some of my emotional eating, and I am wholly aware of just HOW emotional eating is for me. (That is something that the sleeve will not fix!!) I have a great book about emotional eating that has really helped me. It's called: "The Weight Loss Surgery Coping Companion." I highly recommend it to you guys having emotional eating issues, it will not get easier unless you address it! :)

Now I'm here again, doing the pre-op and clinging to my diet coke & Pepsi (I would give up alcohol for diet pop in a heartbeat!!) But I am okay giving up gigantic portions because it will mean a healthier me.

Much love & luck to you all!

Erika

PS Yes it has made me gassy...and it did the first time too...too much meat and vegetables. My husband is doing the pre-op with me to be supportive....and let me tell you...his gas is making our house liable to burst into flames...ughhhh!!

LOl!! LOL!!

Lol yea well I didn't get to have a food funeral ! The day of my consultation with the surgeon they put me on the liquid diet and scheduled me for surgery a week after !