Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have A Relatively Easy Recovery Story?

This thread is awesome...I honestly came home today thinking I would cancel my surgery that is scheduled for Monday 06/03. This thread has changed my mind completely! Thank you all for your posts!

I was sleeved on May 21st. After reading all the horror stories I was prepared for the worst and cried all the way to the OR (literally). It was totally opposite from everything I was expecting!!! Yes, the first 24 hours were rough, but anyone will have a rough time the first 24 hours after any surgery! I have pain on one incision, the one on the left where they removed the stomach. I had a hard time drinking plain Water, but added Crystal Light and all was good. I look back to what an emotional mess I was before surgery and laugh, but I think that is pretty normal. I thank God every day and I pray for those that have had complications...but this really has been much easier than I expected! Good luck to you!

My surgery was may 28th and ended up taking 4 hours because of adhesions from previous surgeries. Felt crappy afterwards but by next morning I felt amazing. Very little pain, no gas, no nausea. Started full fluids 6 days after surgery. Went out to dinner last night, I only had Soup and creme caramel and didn't finish either but enjoyed both and felt a little bloated. I had a hankering for scrambled egg today so had one and it filled me up. Feeling kinda guilty about how easy it's been and have even thought that maybe they didn't do anything!! I'm losing weight steadily, down 19lbs from surgery day. The biggest issue I've had is that the tape is pulling the skin off my abdomen. So glad I did this and can't wait to be a skinny b***h again!!!

I was sleeved on May 21st. After reading all the horror stories I was prepared for the worst and cried all the way to the OR (literally). It was totally opposite from everything I was expecting!!! Yes' date=' the first 24 hours were rough, but anyone will have a rough time the first 24 hours after any surgery! I have pain on one incision, the one on the left where they removed the stomach. I had a hard time drinking plain Water, but added Crystal Light and all was good. I look back to what an emotional mess I was before surgery and laugh, but I think that is pretty normal. I thank God every day and I pray for those that have had complications...but this really has been much easier than I expected! Good luck to you![/quote']

You just made me feel so much better my surgery is Monday and I'm beyond a nervous wreck

@ harlemzheiress. You'll do fine, I'm sure. Nerves are normal but most people have a relatively uneventful recovery. Follow Drs orders and listen to your body and all will be fine. Good luck!!!

@ harlemzheiress. You'll do fine' date=' I'm sure. Nerves are normal but most people have a relatively uneventful recovery. Follow Drs orders and listen to your body and all will be fine. Good luck!!![/quote']

Thank you I'm ready now

Hardest part for me was the pre op diet after that at cakewalk no problems at all uh little dehydration my third day other than that no problems

You will do great!!! I had my surgery on September 25, 2012 9 months ago...I started at 308 and this morning weighed in at 180. The best decision I have ever made in my life!!!! I woke up from surgery without an ounce of pain...no discomfort...nothing. I actually thought they didn't do the surgery and than I thought I was numb from the surgery but I never had an ounce of pain or discomfort at all. Never needed pain meds not even Tylenol. I never had any nausea or vomiting and still don't. I am able to eat everything just a small amount. I had my surgery done at Community Hospital in Toms River NJ by Dr.McCaughan. I was up walking 5 minutes after being brought back to my room and I think that was the best thing to do...walk walk walk. Good Luck and only positive thoughts. Yay you!!!!!

My recovery was super easy!

I was out of hospital after 2 nights as required

I was driving and I had a big party for 30+ people at my house only 6 days after surgery

I have been able to eat all Allowed foods no issues whatever except for sweets make me slightly naseum which is a GREAT thing!!!

I am Thrilled with my 60LB weight loss in only 3 months!!

Couldnt have hoped for a better recovery and experience than Ive had!!!

Bump just because this is a great thread!

You're so right......this is a great thread. Thank you for bumping. I love hearing all the good news. Thank you

I am glad this thread was bumped. I'm almost 6 weeks out from surgery and would TOTALLY DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT! Tomorrow I will be 40 days out. My recovery has been completely uneventful- and I had surgery in Mexico! Who knew it would be such a great experience. My parents even had a good time! I had some nausea the night of surgery in the surgical center which was much better the next day. Getting liquids in was a bit of a struggle, but that's all. No major problems- or minor to speak of. So thankful and so blessed to have such a wonderful experience with surgery and recovery. I went back to work last week and had some episodes if nausea vomiting, but nothing to write home about. I need to get readjusted to normal life. Picked a great surgeon as well which I believe is also key.

I'm glad to see this thread is still alive and encouraging those that are feeling nervous about this decision. Here I am 19 months post op & am so happy & grateful for this miracle of modern medicine. I've gotten so much of myself back, so much more than I ever knew I lost. I can honestly say, I don't have a minute of regret. Yes I do occasionally miss stuffing my face with decadent Desserts & such, but I never miss what it did to me. It's been a long time, but I can honestly say, I LOVE ME.

Thank you for bumping this up. So nice to read about positive experiences and success.

I m so grateful for finding this thread. I won't be having my surgery until March or April 2015 and haven't decided yet whether to be sleeved or roux en y. I had been on a Facebook "support" page for the sleeve for a while. But I can't get anyone to ever answer a single question (maybe because they are almost all women and I'm a guy). But also almost all of the responses and posts are negative. To the point that they have nearly talked me out of it. It's great to find a more positive group.

But can we get some more input? This thread hasn't had anything added to it for nearly a year.