Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have A Relatively Easy Recovery Story?

I was sleeved 12/26 and have sailed through I started the process at 257 pounds, 248.8 the day if surgery and 235.2 this morning. My surgery was un eventful, I used the morphine pump for about 10 hours and then stopped using it. I never had severe gas pains, I was up walking about two hours after surgery. I went home the following morning and I'm still cruising. I sip Water all day, eat my SF Jello and manage to get in about 20 grams of Protein a day. I am a little tired but figure that's to be expected. This is the best decision I have ever made. If you are scared because of the horror stories you may read on here- take a deep breath and dive in. It's not all wine and roses but its bearable Good luck to everyone.

I was sleeved on December 3rd. Had a 'pain pump' which I could push every 7 minutes if I needed it. In the 24 hours that it was attached I pushed it 6 or 7 times. Some of those were to go back to sleep after being woken for blood work, checks the 1st night. Went home with Tylenol/codeine took one at night the 1st night home. None since. I felt a little tired the first week, walked every hour for 5-10 minutes. Took a nap once a day. All of that the first week. After that I felt better than my 'normal' self -only thing that was different was that I didn't feel hungry. I consider my recovery totally uneventful. I feel great still. No issues encountered at all. I'm at the soft solid food stage. My husband (an OR nurse)is a great support - he says that most of the sleevers at his hospital have the same experience as I am.

I am no longer taking any Diabetes meds, my HBP meds have been cut from 2 pills to 1/2 of one pill a day. This is the BEST thing I have ever done. I believe it will continue to be so. Here's to 2013 - the year I hope to meet my goal!

The first few hours were rough but from there on out it was smooth sailing. I walked 1.5 miles the day of surgery ( lots and lots of laps).

The next day I took a shower and changed into my own sweats and that was amazing. I felt great. I just couldn't sleep very well in the hospital. I was released the next morning and that was the last time I took any pain meds.

I've felt great ever since. I took it easy the week after and got lots of R&R and I am headed out for my 2 week follow up this morning. Back to work tomorrow!

I haven't had much trouble getting liquids or Protein. I haven't had any nausea issues. I haven't been in pain. I feel happy with my decision and lucky with my recovery.

I had my surgery (sleeve) done on December 12th and I feel fantastic! 3 weeks today and I am amazed at how "normal" I feel. Energy, food choices, digestion, liquids...all so much better the last few days. Going back to work tomorrow as a first grade teacher. That will be a major test of my stamina but I look forward to getting back into life's routines. I know that's the next step. I have lost 35 pounds and two sizes. Thrilled with that, as well.

To those worried about the surgery...do what your Doc tells you to do to prepare! Pray, meditate, do whatever brings you peace. Then move ahead. Positive energy will help with challenges and recovery!

I think MOST people have relatively normal recoveries but at the time they are going through it, it feels horrible especially if they were not really prepared for it. I was prepared. i had been banded and had been informed of how the sleeve recovery differed from that so I had no suprises.

I woke up naseaus, they gave me even MORE drugs and I was fine.

They made me walk, I didn't like it at first, but I was fine

I stayed one night and was discharged early the next morning pumped full of fluids, I was fine

I was taught how easy it is to get dehydrated so I WORKED at preventing that - I was fine. If I had gotten dehydrated, I would have gone for more IV fluids.

When I got home, I discoved that laying on the bed was horrible - my only moment of true pain was engaging ab muscles that were NOT ready. I slept on my big recliner for a week and I was fine.

My energy level was LOW. I suspect this is because as hard as I tried to stay hydrated, it really isn't enough, but the best I could do. I just reminded myself it was temporary and got through it just fine.

My energy got better daily, but i would say I was 6 weeks out before I felt I was returning to the human race.

It was probably 12 weeks out before I started to feel "comfortable" with the whole deal - eating less, complying properly etc.

I was pretty much "over" using food as comfort etc so I didn't have the severe emotional struggles that some do... even so, it is a BIG change that can be stressful. (One person I know had some issues and called 911 on herself because she got so out of control emotionally - hard to relate to but a true story).

So, because I was prepared for these possibilities, none of it shocked me and none of it made me feel like I might die.

I think that although people won't SAY IT the hardest part is actually adjusting to the lack of food and the discomfort with ingesting fluids quickly etc in those early weeks. When you have lost your BFF (food) every little discomfort might feel alot worse then it is. My opinion...

I had a relatively easy recovery as well. I slept in the recliner for about 4 days. The most discomfort I had was from getting in and out of bed once I transitioned to sleeping in my bed. I also had pain in my shoulder from gas. This is how I found VST! I'm kind of thankful that I had random gas pain in my shoulder. ;) who knew?!

Low energy levels and dizziness for the first four weeks or so. I had to seriously adjust to eating more slowly. I had the slimes a couple of times. I learned by trial and error about what foods to avoid. Had a couple emotional moments. I vaguely recall being like a ball of exposed nerves for a little bit (buyers remorse and mood swings). This was within the first four weeks. Adjusted to the random noises my new stomach made and voila! Back to normal but BETTER.

I love my sleeve!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hi all. I am 41 years old, 5'4 and started at 270 lbs. I never considered surgery because like alot of people I thought it was the easy way out and that if I really wanted to lose it I should be able to do it on my own. However, after failing to lose the weight for 10+ years, and definitely after being diagnosed with diabetes, I decided to have WLS. I did alot of research, including all the different types of WLS and the surgeons. I ultimately decided on the sleeve. So I went through all the requirements of my insurance and surgeon and was sleeved on 12/19/12 with use of the robot (which I highly recommend). I have not had any complications or issues as of yet (knock on wood), although I'm only 2 weeks out. I had no pain after surgery other than a little gas pain, but I didn't need or use any pain medications. I was released home the following day, OFF my diabetes medication, which is exactly what my main goal was, so I'm already a winner. The weight loss is just a bonus. I have had no vomiting, slimes, Migraines, leaks, leg cramps, gas pains, or anything else (knock on wood) other than being a little more tired. I am not hungry at all and am working on getting all my fluids and Protein in. I saw my nut on 12/31 and was down 15 lbs. and according to my measurements had lost 7" in just 12 days. She told me I needed to increase my calories, which was awesome because I've never been told that before, even when I was a twig. There is no way I would've been able to lose this weight, and keep it off, without this surgery. I know it's just a tool and that after the 6 month honeymoon phase it'll be up to me to continue losing and maintain when I reach my goal, but I already know I will do it. I feel great, I'm looking better everyday, and all my "fat" issues are slowly going away. I love my sleeve!

Good luck to all of you who have made this life changing decision, it really is a blessing. Here's to the rest of our FIT lives. :D

Hello everyone! Just found this thread so I thought I'd add a positive story.

I was sleeved on May 3. I started the process at 253 and at eight months out today I am at 164.

My surgery was practically effortless. My surgeon is one that does out-patient surgery. I know out-patient is not for everyone, but it was for me. My surgeon is also one of those that doesn't require a liquid pre-op diet (uses low carb instead), and moves you to real food within a month after surgery. I followed all of their guidelines to a T and had absolutely no issues. My recovery was excellent, but I did take two weeks out of the office. The first week, I slept a lot, second week, I worked from home answering emails, etc. on my computer. By week three, I was good to go but would be pretty tired at the end of the day. I remember trying to do some weeding outside after the third week or so -- just bending over to pick up a few weeds made me tired! But I would feel better day after day.

I was pretty sore on my right side where the pouch was removed, and it was slightly painful getting up from a sitting or laying down position. Nothing too terrible and I just powered through it.

I have had no nausea, no acid reflux, no vomiting since day one. On day two, I was already able to drink 24 ounces of water/broth. By the end of the first week, I was able to drink 64 ounces of Fluid. I tolerate all foods (except for Peanut Butter for some reason). I can now get in all my Protein without drinking Protein shakes. I eat fruits and vegetables, but tend to still stay away from bread, rice, Pasta, and potatoes (although I can eat them without a problem).

I exercise two or three times a week - with spinning classes and resistance training. I don't beat myself up if I don't get into the gym as I am so much more active generally now than I was before the surgery. I take the stairs at work. I take my dogs for walks every day. I kayak or go hiking with my family. I MOVE more and it feels great!

I can tell that with the changes that I've made, my metabolism has really sped up, so I am using the food I do eat for fuel - exactly what we are supposed to do!

Over the holidays I went clothes shopping with my mother. She is a small woman, although she used to be large. She developed stomach cancer five years ago and had her entire stomach removed. She has had to learn to eat differently and she lost a ton of weight as well. We had a ball shopping for 'normal' sized clothing. I still have 24 pounds I want to lose as the goal I've set for myself is 140. I'm 5'3" so that feels about right for me and my age. So, I bought mostly tops and dresses as I know I'll lose at least another size or two in my pants. By the way, for gal who is 5'3" or shorter, you may want to check out the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans (Amanda brand) at costco. They are less than $20 and fit really well. They also have some dress slacks for $15.99 that fit us shorties pretty well too.

If anyone were to ask me if I would do this all over again if I had to, and the answer is a definite yes!

Yesterday at my appt with my NUT, we were talking about my experience. She said that she sees more patients who have my experience, than those who have bad experiences. Sticking to the plan, using the sleeve as a tool, has really worked for me and she feels that's pretty much the same with most patients that she has seen. Of course, there are always exceptions, but she said they are few and far between.

So I agree with the OP, that we need to share more positive experiences on here. I hope my post helps someone stay positive!

Yesterday was my 6 month surgiversary and I'm really happy I did this. I know some have had bad experiences and I really feel for them, but I am happily one of the plain-sailing ones. I had minimal discomfort after surgery,no gas pain and not much stiffness. The only thing that wasn't so great was feeling faint after the leak test. My recovery was slow and steady and I healed really quickly. My scars are very faint and Ive never had nausea or pain from my sleeve- I really concentrated on liquids and Protein in the first 8 weeks and did steady exercise and followed the Docs advice. My WL has been pretty steady and although I've lost hair, it is not that noticeable. Of course I have head hunger and slider food days but they are rare and for the most part I eat little and healthily. I love my sleeve!

Have any 1 experience hair lost i suppose 2 have my surgery n feb 2013 & this part really scare me my hair is already thin

I think it's time to bump this thread.

My surgery was perfect. BUT EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!

If it was for my drain hanging around I wouldn't even know I had surgery. When I woke, I refused pain meds and was up walking. And never stop from that minute on. Not one issue! Well, except I was required to remain in hospital because that's the deal. I wanted out so I could go vacation and have fun. I did.. But had to wait for the second day.

Recovery? Mine was way better than relatively easy.. It was perfect!

Mine was too easy as well, took 2 days off from work( nursing) no pain med at all, walked one mile the same day. 21 months out, I am not a failure.

Mine was super easy. No pain meds after the morphine in recovery. Sips of Water for 24 hours. Leak test was fine then full liquids. I was able to have about 4 ounces at my first meal. No nausea. Heat pack for shoulder pain. Two nights in hospital and I go home this morning.

Oh and it looks like my diabetes is in remission already. My readings are under 5 mmol/l consistently. No more metformin for me!

Update: it has now been 8 days and I have yet to have an issue. I have gotten my Water and Protein in each day. I have walked at least 10000 steps each day. I have not had much pain and have only taken Tylenol. I haven't felt hungry or tired. I haven't thrown up or had any nausea. I do have loose stools once a day but that is pretty normal for a liquid diet. I begin purée next Tuesday and this should improve. I go back to work Monday, but I have done a bit of work from home so I don't feel overwhelmed when I go back.

Also my blood sugar has stayed at 4.9 mmol/l (about 88 mg/dl). I haven't taken metformin since the day before surgery.

Update: it has been two weeks. Today was my first day back at work and tomorrow I start purée foods. No road blocks yet. Tomorrow I have my second weigh in. I feel so fortunate that I didn't have any complications or really any pain at all. Physically, this surgery was easier than my hysterectomy and tons easier than my ACL reconstruction! And easier than carpal tunnel surgery because the weight lifting restriction is not as stringent. I actually feel ready to kic my exercise up a teensy bit and may start doing a few squats and lunges and see how I feel.

I also had my two week follow up with the surgeon and he said that all the incisions are healing great!

Update: coming up to the end of my fourth week and I have had zero trouble. I'm about to transition to soft foods and I've lost 16 pounds and I'm about to dip into the 100s. I think my easy recovery is absolutely the norm. I hope this encourages people.