Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have A Relatively Easy Recovery Story?

I'm on day 1 (5 hours and 51 minutes of day 1, but who's counting?) of my 14 day pre-op diet before my surgery on Aug 20. I'm getting pretty nervous and anxious about how I'll feel after recovery and have been reading about everyone's experiences.

What I'm interested in hearing about is if anyone was pleasantly surprised with how they felt after surgery or with their recovery? I've read so much about pain and complications, I'd love to hear about those that may have had a breeze!

I know that everyone is different in terms of their recovery, but i think I'm psyching myself out and for some reason think that this may make me feel better about things (if that makes sense). I'm also having my surgery done as a single incision (just through my belly button) so wondering if that has made a difference. Thanks, all!

I expected all the worst, and got all the best! The first 24 hrs. after surgery was rough because I was STRICT NPO, not even a single ice chip! That made me gag a few times. After that it was all uphill. They want us to sip an oz. of Fluid every 15 minutes after that first 24 hrs. Well, in a couple of days I was doing FOUR oz. every 15 minutes, and my pain was well managed by the meds prescribed. (I had a pretty good sized hernia repaired, so that caused some discomfort.) My healing progressed in a textbook fashion and I've not had a single complication (Thank you GOD!!) And I can eat any and all foods without problem or pain, and I've not thrown up once since surgery, and I've never "slimed." This could not have gone any better. I'm just amazed every day. I've lost almost 85 lbs. since February. I've got absolutely nothing to complain about.

One thing I've noticed around here- aside from the "NSVs" we never really report when we "feel good." It doesn't seem that interesting or require a response. Most people post when there is trouble, or can wear a smaller size pants. We just don't think to say, "hey, by the way, I had a really non-complicated surgery." And maybe we should, just so all you noobs can see that it's not just doom and gloom in your future. I think there are a great number of us who had a terrific experience. Hopefully you'll hear from more....

I was never so scared in my life about doing something as I was about having surgery. I was very pleasantly surprised when one minute I was being moved onto the table and the next I was waking up from surgery. My couple days in the hospital were fine. I was uncomfortable and nauseous as the anesthesia wore off, but I was able to get up and walk and that made me feel much better. By the second day, I felt more like myself again and was discharged to go home. I went home a little sore, but pain free. I did not feel like I could go out dancing, but I felt much better than I expected to feel. By the fifth day, I was driving my son to Miami (two hours away) and spending the afternoon and evening sitting outside for a football camp, then driving home. Repeated this three days in a row. I was tired, but otherwise fine. I had been off pain meds by the second morning in hospital.

That is not to say that I have not struggled with adjusting to new eating/drinking life. I had my moments when that part was a little rough and still can be sometimes. I did have to take naps sometimes. I had days when I felt like I overdid it a bit. But, overall the experience has been really good. I hope that helps.

I went into surgery expecting to die, and accepting the gamble because of all my health complications. I woke up and went "What?" because I truly didn't expect to wake up. When they wheeled me into my room, I got up off the recovery bed, walked around the hospital bed, and sat in the chair. I never did get in that hospital bed. My only pain was in my thighs from trying to use my leg muscled instead of my tummy muscles, but that went away quickly. I took pain meds three times after surgery, then refused any more pain meds.

I drove myself home the day after surgery, about a 40 minute drive. I started walking up and down my hallway the next day and I've been high energy ever since. In 10 months I've lost 110 pounds, plus I feel amazing!!!

This is the third best gamble I've ever taken (having my boys were #1 and #2). :)

I did not realize you were so close!! Congratulations friend and keep me posted!

So good I feel guilty! I am on day 6 post op and doing well. I am doing great and 8 lbs down since surgery day. I had nausea when awaking from surgery (Probably because I refused the sea sick patch due to previous side effects it gave me) so needed Zofran through IV to manage it. Not severe, never actually threw up just felt it when I would move. Used the morphine pump often for first 10 hours after surgery, to be safe, pain was not very bad but wanted to sleep through nausea. I was up to use bathroom with out any trouble... late the first evening... and a couple times during the night, tummy soreness/pain getting out of bed but that is about it. Walking, and tiny tiny sips started in the morning of the first day. My nurse lined up 3 medicine cups of various fluids, chicken broth, snapple lemon tea, warm chamomile tea and I tried them. Just little sips like swallowing saliva. Up to the bathroom often because of IV drip so did not worry to much about getting liquids on day 2, but managed about 15 of the 1oz medicine cups by the conclusion of the day. Funny thing was to love the camomile tea... never a pre-surgery favorite. Also was glad I had Splenda in my purse.... they only gave the pink stuff. Diet Snapple became my favorite by day 3 in peach or raspberry but needed to be watered down. Broth was too salty and every smell was so intense.... so weird.

I was surprised there were none of the complications I had read about... lips not chapped, no vomiting, drinking was easy by day 3, only thing was tummy pain felt like the most major pain from an ab workout I had ever had. Walking was fine just pain in tummy incisions so holding that part or supporting it with a pillow helped. To put the pain in perspective by 10 hours after surgery I never had any more of any type of pain medicine. There has been no struggles with BM's but starting day 5 it became very watery. Today was the first day of school for my youngest so I did my hair for the first time and made his Breakfast and lunch, took pictures -but he is in 6th grade so I did not walk him the half mile to school or go to his class with him. (this is to tell you I am up and about fine)

You will do so well, I think it is easy to expect all the bad stuff to happen because when we read it we remember it. No regrets at all and so excited still totally not hungry....

The moment I woke up I was in pain. They gave me good meds. and then I was good.

That night there was discomfort (particularly gas in shoulder) but I walked the halls of the hospital anyway. People who walk get rid of gas faster. You know they blow up the insides with air to see and work so that has to come out.

I have been fine, no problems at all-- not even nausea- which many complain of. I take a PPI from day 1 to avoid heartburn and haven't had that either.

Today is 3 weeks exactly. I can drink with no problem- was able to 2nd day. I can eat pureed food and not experience pain or discomfort.

I have never felt regret. :)

I had a really easy, uncomplicated recovery. I left the hospital the day after my VSG/hernia repair. My surgery was 9 am and I was off all pain meds by 11 am the next morning. I really attribute my successful recovery to my activity level prior to surgery. I was in the gym every day for a minimum of an hour. I will say, though, even though my physical recovery was great, I did hit some emotional bumps along the way that I wasn't so prepared for. I'm now 5.5 weeks out and the emotional bumps seem to have leveled out.

Good luck to you in your journey to a better you.

Sent from my iPad using VST

My wife is an RN and ER director, so yeah, we were prepared for the worst as well. Being that she only sees sick people, we really never imagined my recovery. I have not taken any pain meds since being discharged, was walking right after surgery and have never gotten sick. The only discomfort I had was quickly cured by gasX strips the first week.

Congrats and good luck.

Sent from my mobile productivity killer.

I have had an uncomplicated walk in the park with this whole thing. It was absolutely awesomely easy and complication-free. I didn't have a hernia, didn't need much pain medicine post-surgery. Was eating normal food within the first week (that's how they do it where I am) and have been fine ever since. I never lost my hunger as some people do with VSG, but that's not really been an issue anyhow. I've done really well. Good luck!!

THANK YOU so much for sharing your recovery stories! I feel so much better. I've been a total basketcase of emotions and nerves that hearing these unexpected positive, normal or hilarious (Butterthebean comparable hangovers, ha!) recovery stories just really helps to balance my perspective and sanity. Thanks everyone for the amazing responses and support - don't know what I'd do without all of you!

What you all are saying makes so much sense, especially Dooter in the below. All of the pain and complication stories have stuck in my head because they are more memorable that I was beginning to question what the norm was, even if "I feel totally normal" isn't really a post you're more apt to put up.

One thing I've noticed around here- aside from the "NSVs" we never really report when we "feel good." It doesn't seem that interesting or require a response. Most people post when there is trouble, or can wear a smaller size pants. We just don't think to say, "hey, by the way, I had a really non-complicated surgery." And maybe we should, just so all you noobs can see that it's not just doom and gloom in your future. I think there are a great number of us who had a terrific experience. Hopefully you'll hear from more....

I was very fortunate and was in basically no pain from the beginning. Slight soreness for a day or two but that's it. I started walking a little at a time as soon as 2 hours out of the recovery room. I think it was on day 3 post op or so that I walked half a mile at one time. The next day I walked a mile and a half at one time.....though a bit slow. I never threw up nor had any problems with food other than getting my Protein in the first two days. The worst part of the whole thing was having that catheter removed. :blink: After that, it was a breeze and I felt normal about a week or week and a half post op.

Oh wait, one last question for all of you sleeve vets: as far as mental clarity and energy, how quickly did you feel capable to be back at work even if you didn't necessarily go back at that time?

In addition to the immediate physical recovery, I've also read a lot about varying degrees of energy and being able to do a great job at work. I only ask because I will be starting a new job exactly 4 weeks after my surgery, and just trying to gauge if I'll be able to bring my A-game. :)

I still remember my first post in this forum.it was something like,

Is this too easy? I'm really afraid since this is causing me no real adversity that I am going to fail at this.

Needless to say, I'm almost 11 weeks out & it is definately working, and I'm not a failure. I haven't had any real issues yet.