Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Pack For Hospital

I have seen this posted on here somewhere, but can't seem to locate the thread.

What is recommended to pack when headed to the hospital? I am going to be having surgery in the US at a bariatric center of excellence and staying 2 full nights, 3 days.

Ready, set, go - respond with your suggestions.... :)

1) Your own pillows - hospital pillow are awful.

2) Lip balm-my lips were so dry the whole time.

3) Ear plugs - these were a lifesaver for me!!

4) Slippers

You wont need much! :-) I packed my makeup bag thinking it might feel nice to put a little on to feel human...HA! Never even went near the thing! I agree on the pillow and chapstick! I am trying to remember the name of the mouth spray I used....bioteen maybe? It was a spray and it helped with the dry mouth. A brush and a tie for your hair if it's long.

I packed but never used, a book, ipod, makeup, socks (i just used theirs).....pack light! :-)

There is a thread here:

http://www.verticals...surgery-thread/

I took, crocs (easy to walk in and go over the booties) as I hate walking around in socks where other people wear shoes. *edited to say - you get in bed with those socks on....I'm a bit ocd.

I brought a small table fan (to drown out hospital noises).

I brought my favorite soft brown throw blanket, I washed it the night before and it smelled like Downy. It was a comfort from home, it was comfortable to sit in the chair instead of bed with.

I brought Charmaine Butt Wipes. After surgery, after you get catheter off, it's nice to clean yourself off, I even brought a roll of my own toilet paper because I hate sand paper.

I brought Bigelow Peppermint Decaff Tea and Truvia. I don't like artificial sweeteners and they normally serve you regular decaff tea and generic artificial sweeteners. This tea literally was my saving grace in the hospital. Most hospitals serve their hot Water for tea in coffee cups, which smell and taste like coffee. Not appetizing. (ps bring your own mug or ask for a styrofoam cup instead of drinking out of that) - ps the tea tastes good hot or cold.

I brought chap stick because your lips will be dry.

I brought Biotene. If they use an antinausea patch and give you anti-nausea medication it dries your mouth out. I noticed when I walked the first two days, if I was talking to the person walking with me my lips would stick to my gums and my entire mouth would dry out so bad I could barely talk and it hurt. Biotene added extra moisture to my mouth. I also made sure when I walked I carried one of those sponge sticks with me.

I brought a brush, a toothbrush and toothpaste and deoderant.

I did not use pajamas, my kindle, magazines, lap top.

Edited by MinaT

4) Slippers

These are a must! I would have been miserable without my lip balm. I was so out of it from the pain meds I couldn't read or watch tv. I would have loved to have had ear plugs, great suggestion.

Also, make sure you bring something loose fitting or stretchy to wear home. Your stomach will be swolllen and sore, so jeans will not be comfortable. I brought a pair of sweat pants and a loose fitting top. It wasn't pretty, but I was so glad to be going home, I did not care!

I havent had my surgery yet but i have had my gallbladder removed and its similar in that its painfull . Plus the noise doesnt let u sleep to a pillow and a good sound machine or white noise machine is great. Many phones have apps for that and they help u sleep. I took a night shirt that hanf button in the front for easy acces for nurses. And my spiller, oh and my own blanket cuz it gets cold. A feww things that helped me

I was sleeved Aug 1st, from my bag all I used was my toothbrush toothpaste hairbrush baby wipes chapstick hand lotion charger and a dress to come home in. Didn't use slippers book 2 sets of extra clothes make up.

On 8/6/2012 at 5:51 PM, franfaith said:

4) Slippers

going soon to give first birth, thanks for tips

Thanks for your tips, I’m going to the hospital because I have my surgery next week, it happened when I went to a marathon in February i got a sore in my balls while cycling, i felt really bad pain and i hardly walked home, i didn’t call the ambulance because i didn’t think it was needed but in few hours it was getting worse and i decided to go to a hospital, i searched for the hospital on a forum with hospitals in us, i didn’t want to go to any hospital while most of them are full of CoronaVirus, i went and the doctor gave me a pain killer for now, and now i’m preparing for the surgery and staying in the hospital for few days. Pray for me.

Edited by alexdoman