Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 Days Off Work Enough?

Hi all! I'm a podiatrist in private practice and am planning on eleven days @ home post-op. I am busy @ work but have a great assistant and put off doing surgery for a few additional weeks. I'll just be seeing patients in clinic. Do u think I'll be ok? (assuming no complications!). Thanks for your input & thoughts.

My surgeon told me to take two full weeks off to be safe. I'm glad I did.

My pre op is Tuesday but I kind of had to plan out time off in advance, surgery is 8-22. Were u having pain or really weak @ 11 days? Can I ask what kind of work u do?

My pre op is Tuesday but I kind of had to plan out time off in advance, surgery is 8-22. Were u having pain or really weak @ 11 days? Can I ask what kind of work u do?

By 11 days I was pretty ok. My stomach still hurt a bit, but I was off pain meds by that point. I'm not sure I was ready to go back to work at that point since still felt a little weak. I'm an attorney, so my job isn't physically demanding.

I just had surgery 4 days ago,and while my body feels well enough to return to my desk/manager position on Monday, I still feel like I need more time to get accustom to my new lifestyle. I am taking 2 weeks, and I'm certain that that is plenty of time for me.

I'm 3 wks out and by the 2nd week I was feeling better but because I was feeling better I went and did my normal stuff and now I'm back in pain in my left side to the point I may end up in the ER so be careful don't over do it I work in a hospital so I now 11 weeks off is what I'm going to need I do heavy lifting

I'm preop still but am having surgery on the 18th. I fly back on the 21st and will return to work on the 22nd.

I am hoping to work from home the rest of that week. The following week I'll be traveling. I am planning on just sucking it up, taking extra time, if needed and sleeping whenever I am not working.

I was hoping to take more time but I just started this job in April and already had to take a week off in June for my MBA residency and graduation. I am also not telling people what kind of surgery I am having since I don't know them very well.

Best of luk to you!!

I took one week off after the surgery, but the day after I was out of the hospital I felt fine and was out doing my thing (at a slower pace of course lol). I think everyone is different. I have also had 2 c-sections that I felt fine with afterward so I think maybe my body was used to surgery. Good luck to you =)

Hello! I had my surgery and I was ready to go back to work a week later. My job was mostly desk work, but the stairs up to my office were a task for a few weeks, and I also had to be very careful around my clients. I went back to work after 10 days. If you follow everything to the T, you will have better success, starting with your preop diet. My surgeon says that part if the reason I recovered so quickly was because I never cheated on pre-op, and because as soon as I got home I started walking. It was just a small distance, and I turned around when pain came. But he says that really sped up my recovery! Happy sleeping!

I took off 2 weeks and was glad I did. I had no pain by week 3, but I was EXHAUSTED and mean bone crushing weak. Everything physically was an effort week 3. If I had it to do over, I would have worked half days on week 3. good luck to you!

Hello! I had my surgery and I was ready to go back to work a week later. My job was mostly desk work, but the stairs up to my office were a task for a few weeks, and I also had to be very careful around my clients. I went back to work after 10 days. If you follow everything to the T, you will have better success, starting with your preop diet. My surgeon says that part if the reason I recovered so quickly was because I never cheated on pre-op, and because as soon as I got home I started walking. It was just a small distance, and I turned around when pain came. But he says that really sped up my recovery! Happy sleeping!

She may be on to something here because I didnt cheat on my pre-op either and was walking as soon as I got out of the hospital too and had no issues. So maybe this will do the trick =)

Every dr. Has their patients doing diff things. I started a new job 1 week after my surgery. My dr. Okayed it because it ws a desk job.

It is true every doctor has different requirements. My doc requires at least two weeks but prefers patients take four. I've tried returning to work early from procedures in the past and decided to follow the rules this time. I am bored to death but honestly think the time off is needed to become accustomed to this new stomach/life.

Most drs I know have you can return to work 7to10 days after surgery,I took 2 Weeks & im very glad I did. I couldnt put my own socks and shoes on til 3 days before going back to work. My biggest incision was very sore. I was only allowed to lift 15 lbs for the first month,so a little more than a gallon of milk, I was exhausted for about the first week going back to work. I am a bookkeeper/ cashier at a grocery store

Hi all! I'm a podiatrist in private practice and am planning on eleven days @ home post-op. I am busy @ work but have a great assistant and put off doing surgery for a few additional weeks. I'll just be seeing patients in clinic. Do u think I'll be ok? (assuming no complications!). Thanks for your input & thoughts.

I think

Is too soon;(