Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone From Buffalo, Ny Out There?

@@fortheloveofme hi I have bcbs as well my plan does cover it I checked before I started the program they accept my insur at the buff gen bariatric program I cant speak to anything else I don't have a surgery date yet all my stuff isn't done yet so it hasn't been submitted to insur yet however I have a high bmi and co morbids so I guess time will tell I have heard that this group doesn't care for doing lapband however I happen to know that some have been done just last month in fact so maybe that isn't true u can call your insur ask if it's covered if u don't know or check online I tried doing that I had trouble finding it so I called if u ask them to send u the guidelines they have to I hit mine in the mail in about 5 days I'd say hope that helps

Hi there... I have had health issues but not the typical ones that would automatically be recognized... Brain tumor in 09, and massive hormonal issues that caused me uncontrolled uterine bleeding for three years until I had a hysterectomy ( they never really figured out why but the surgery gave me my life back..it was awful), and recently my Dr told me he would put me on cholesterol meds if my numbers didn't go down and he followed with "if it tastes delicious, don't eat it"... I was like.. ok thanks so much :-/

I may have apnea, but have been so busy I haven't really followed thru with testing for that... Im thankful that I don't have more major issues, but sometimes I think the brain tumor will work against me for this surgery.

Are all you pre ops on this thread looking to have the sleeve? That's the one I think makes the most sense for me :)

@@fortheloveofme yes I'm going for the sleeve oh by the way part of the testing is a sleep study and if nessecary Cpap they told me it's mandatory and I have to do a certain amount of weeks of compliance with Cpap and prove it with a printout before I can even meet the surgeon I was told if I don't no sugery

See, this is one of the reasons I left the BuffGen program. They act as if meeting the almighty surgeon is like meeting God himself. I wanted to meet my surgeon immediately, and I found a program where the surgeon spent 90 minutes with me answering every single one of my questions before I did a single pre-op test.

Regarding the sleep study: you WILL be diagnosed with sleep apnea. Everyone is. I had to do the sleep study and was called back and told I needed the second (titration) study because of the results of my first study. When I went in for my second study, I asked to see the results of my first study (had to ask several times) and was amazed to see under "Number of Apneas" a big fat ZERO. Zero apneas of any kind. A few mild hypopneas (shallow breathing, no obstruction of airway), which according to my research is just normal breathing in sleep. And yet still - surprise! - I allegedly need a CPAP. For what? Ridiculous.

Insurance companies are starting to question the veracity of all these apnea diagnoses, which have been a massive money-maker for sleep labs. I think they have made millions by pathologizing something everyone does, which is sleep. I do believe that some people legitimately have serious sleep apnea, but nowhere near in the numbers who are diagnosed by these sleep labs (something like 99% positive diagnoses).

OK, rant over, lol. Quit smoking and feeling a wee bit testy. :)

Edited by YellowWallpaper

@@YellowWallpaper omg too funny I quit smoking several years ago and haven't stopped feeling testy yet lol and I couldn't agree more I was told on phone that if I had done a sleep study before I wouldn't have to do it again well a month after I enrolled I was given an ultimatum that the surgeon requires this and I have to show compliance with a freakin printout or no surgery I feel like I'm being held hostage I checked my insur claims to see what they charged was $2400 I had paid for most the previous one due to the insur I had I was so damn mad when I asked to see the report I was refused they say they can only give to the dr that ordered it am I not entitled to my own records as a patient? This really pisses me off I'm thinking there's a connection to these sleep labs they own it or have a an interest somehow after all I go to a pulmonary dr who did not force me into Cpap or refuse me care because I couldn't tolerate it he told me in fact that I'm not alone most ppl don't tolerate it well or at all and isn't it funny I'm still alive? I went to a dr office once that was trying to push $100 a month gym membership on u every time u went there have a hard enough time paying bills like I have a 100 a month for a gym Well I was told u don't meet surgeon until all requirements are met I was also told I would be contacted for tests well it seems only for some tests I wasted so much time waiting to be contacted when I called and asked I was told oh no u need to set it up its like u don't get the truth a good example I was told on a piece of paper which I have still that at my last apt I was supposed to bring my support person and I was seeing the surgeon well we sat there for 2 hours then I was told dr wasn't there I wouldn't be seeing him that day etc so not only was I pissed but my support person took of work to come when I said hey what the hell I was told well u couldn't have been told that nobody meets the dr until all requirements are met I showed them the paper I was told well it's a clerical error hah! My ass every time I go there they bill my insur like almost $600 I get weighed 5 mins tops see a nurse 5/ 10 mins then the nutritionist another 5/10 mins so for less than 30 mins they get a bundle I lose time at work to sit there for two hours I hate this whole process I can't wait to have the surgery and for it o be over I'm so beyond tired of being jerked around

I was sleeved 5 weeks ago with Dr. Pham. Absolutely love him and complete trust that he is the best. Never, ever go to Synergy! Cavaretta is terrible.

I had BCBS and they covered my sleeve. After everything was finally submitted from the doctors I was approved in 48 hours.

I was actually told I didn't need a sleep study don't be because I've never had any type of sleeping issues! No snoring, trouble sleeping, stop breathing while sleeping or anything like that!! The nurse asked me if I felt I needed one I said no and that was that

Edited by kimmerzj29

I found out on August 28th and they first offered me surgery on Sept. 24th. But I had prior commitments so I had it October 8th.

This beautiful winter storm has prevented me from meeting with dr Hoffman today and getting my surgery date!! Super disappointed!! But hopefully will get to reschedule soon!!! I just love buffalo winters lol I hope everyone else out there that is in the Area are safe and warm!!

Edited by kimmerzj29

Yes I'm right in the middle of the hard hit area snowblower all day looks like I made no effort at all just keeps coming cars buried streets impassible supposed to be same tomm snowblower froze up and won't work lol hoping it fires up tomm hope u get rescheduled for your apt soon

Stay safe all!!