Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone From Buffalo, Ny Out There?

Kimmerzj29 hey hi yeah I hope things start getting better to thanks so much u keep us updated too good luck to everyone and I will try to calm the heck down lol

Thank u nessa I'm okay with the edg not worried at all!! it's just another step to make myself happy and healthier!!! Good luck everyone!! Keep us updated Shelly we're all hear for ya if u need any support or need to vent!!! :) you'll be okay just keep your head up and you'll get threw!!!

Edited by kimmerzj29

Hello to all! I am new here and haven't really even started the process although I have been informally looking and researching surgeons in the area etc....any post ops with advice about who to choose etc? Seems like no one at all has WLS in WNY bc so many are hush hush about it all. Glad to see some locals on this forum :)

@@fortheloveofme hi I've just exchanged hellos and some small chit chat with a few ppl that say they are in the area so nice to meet u happy to have another local in the mix here I'm going to the bariatric clinic at buffalo general hospital u can go online and sign up for info packet a seminar etc an application its in the center for minimally invasive surgery d building U can call as well I started in August u have to fill out an application I asked for it to mailed it took a month and a couple calls u may better off doing it online u have to attend a seminar which is about 1.5. To 2 hours before u can even get an apt at the clinic first appt will be approx 3 hours so plan for it also bring your papers they give u every time or else they tell u the appt doesn't count also if u reschedule apts they told me I'd have to start all over which means attending a seminar and starting at the beginning my surgeon is supposed to be dr posner I'm told by many ppl he is very strict and doesn't fool around there's is also a dr Hoffman I'm told is equally good I don't know any of them tho to say I can't recall the other dr name I'm still jumping thru hoops getting testing done etc I'm not expecting surgery until probably end of jan maybe they also put u on a diet to lose weight first etc so prepare yourself I have my third apt in early dec after an endoscopy on dec 5 I'm supposed to possibly meet the surgeon so that's where I stand do far let me know if I can help

Hello to all! I am new here and haven't really even started the process although I have been informally looking and researching surgeons in the area etc....any post ops with advice about who to choose etc? Seems like no one at all has WLS in WNY bc so many are hush hush about it all. Glad to see some locals on this forum :)

Hi and welcome!!!! I was sleeved July 2012 @ Buffalo General Hospital by Dr. Hoffman. He's wonderful and my entire experience was positive!

I just had my endoscopy done by dr hoffman yesterday it was my first time meeting him besides the seminar!! And he was great!! Came in and told me what was going to happen then got my husband after and told him everything on how I was doing and the findings I meet with him on Tuesdays!! And I'm so excited hoping they give me a surgery date!!!

Absolutely hands down Dr. Hoffman. I had the lap band done by Dr Pham when he was with synergy bariatrics. He was good but no where near the bedside manner that Hoffman has. He even came to my pre surgery holding room when he was told that my parents were there and had some questions. Most of the nurses at the clinic at buffalo General have had the surgery too so they know what you are going through. I am so happy that I went to him and have had NO regrets.

Edited by nessa259

Thanks for the info everyone:) when I first began considering WLS I called to get a packet from Posner/Hoffman group.... I got really overwhelmed and who knows where that packet is now. I never sent it :-/ suffice to say that a couple years have passed and several "diets" later and I am probably ten pounds heavier. I just need to get my butt into one of the info sessions and stop making excuses. I will tell you that I don't feel like my husband will really support the idea, but I'm not sure I care if he does or not. Did any of you look at all 3 groups in the area? I am curious about the differences between Caruana, Posner/Hoffman, and Pham......any comments are welcome :D

Thanks for the info everyone:) when I first began considering WLS I called to get a packet from Posner/Hoffman group.... I got really overwhelmed and who knows where that packet is now. I never sent it :-/ suffice to say that a couple years have passed and several "diets" later and I am probably ten pounds heavier. I just need to get my butt into one of the info sessions and stop making excuses. I will tell you that I don't feel like my husband will really support the idea, but I'm not sure I care if he does or not. Did any of you look at all 3 groups in the area? I am curious about the differences between Caruana, Posner/Hoffman, and Pham......any comments are welcome :D

@@fortheloveofme ha! that happens to all of us lol I cant comment on any of those other drs as I don't know about them however the program at bflo General does require u to have a support person they must attend the seminar with u and some of the clinic meetings it doesn't have to be your husband

Forthrloveofme! Yes I looked into synergy but they didn't have near as good reviews as dr Hoffman! I also had a friend who just had it done with Hoffman and she loved him so that sold me...and trust me we def do all go thru..that I went back and fourth for months researching and making sure it's what I wanted..then realized it's what I needed to be healthy because diets and exercise weren't working anymore...my husband was very apprehensive at first because of course he loves me the way I am and couldn't begin to know how it feels to be overweight..but after we went to the seminar and the first visit and he researched it more he realized it was a great decision for my health, not to mention to have healthier pregnancies in the future..so maybe once he learns more about it he'll be very supportive of the idea!! Don't let that hold you back do what is going to make you happy!

Edited by kimmerzj29

Hi All! It should be my husband because although he isn't obese, he could be more educated about HIS food issues....He is constantly yo-yoing with the same 15-25 pounds.....that said, whatever it takes for ME to get better is my focus.

I was watching something yesterday that was all about some studies that have been done on "diets" etc..., and how most (I want to say 80 percent or so but not certain that is the actual value reported) people lose regardless of which plan they followed ie: low carb, low fat, paleo,vegan or whatever... but a huge number gained back plus some extra.... ok, well DUH! no kidding! any of us could have probably written that report! The battle has never been taking it off, but keeping it off, well that's another story.

I really hope my insurance company will approve me.

Another question for all of you who may know... I have BCBS... does anyone have experience with them and getting approved for WLS... I have to say I do not want lap band and I am worried that's the only one they will approve bc of my BMI being under 40...

sorry, rambling here. Hope everyone has a great day :)

@@fortheloveofme do you have any comorbid issues? High bp, diabetes, high cholesterol? That will help your cause.