Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wls To Cure Infertility?

Well, we FINALLY got a sympathetic GP that tested both of us and lo and behold! The issue was my husband, poor guy. I could have lost 100 pounds and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference - we had to move straight to IVF w/ICSI.

So unless you're SURE it's PCOS related infertility (the way weight is usually culpable for infertility) or some other issue losing weight can resolve, be sure to get tested! Do not allow your medical professionals to discriminate against you based upon your size, and take the lazy way out.

My husband is going to get tested too. I brought home all of the stuff for him and he didn't go, so my nurse called him and started bugging him lol. That got him moving. I was lucky enough to be diagnosed before TTC and have been treating it for years, we just don't know if he adds to the problem.

This is the one of the reasons I am having this surgery done. I will be having the surgery in exactly 40 days from today. I have a four year old daughter who I got pregnant with my senior year of highschool and I was on the birth control pill. Last march in 2011 my husband and I started trying for another one, even though we knew my weight was the highest it had ever been. So I started on weight watchers while we were trying and lost a little here and there but nothing consistant. I tried everything possible to get pregnant...stopped smoking, ate healthy, stopped drinking, used a basal thermometer, etc. This march in 2012 I went into my OBGYN to talk to her to find out why it wasnt happening and she said it definitely could be due to my weight. I asked about some kind of fertility pills or something I could possibly take to help it along. The response I got was that I needed to lose about 100 pounds before they would even think about giving me anything like that. I was devastated. I didnt want to wait any longer... my daughter was starting to get older and I didnt want my kids that far apart. I have started to accept the fact that I will not have another baby for at least 2 more years because of surgery and Im okay with that. It actually is going to work out great because by then my daughter will be in school full time and itll save me on daycare exspenses. So hopefully it happends after im cleared by my doctor to go ahead and start trying.

It won't cure infertility but it can increase your fertility.

DH and I went for about 5 years with no contraception and never managed to conceive. We weren't trying, but we weren't avoiding, if you know what I mean. And for 2 years prior to that I was (unknowingly) in a medication that reduced the effectiveness of my BCP.

Then I had the lapband, lost about 150 lsb, and we started really trying. For about a year, no luck. We quit trying - hurt too much getting negative results month after month - and figured we'd be just as good of a couple without children (we didn't really want to have to go through fertility treatments). Then don't you know it, as soon as we stopped trying, bam!

Did I get pregnant because of the weightloss? Clearly not. But is it too much coincidence to think that I "just so happened" to lose that much weight and get pregnant relatively quickly, after so many years of nothing? You bet. :)

But yes, weightloss does help. Or extra weight does hinder. However you want to look at it.

@Jessica - I find that funny that they won't consider anything for fertility. My doctor was willing to put me on meds when I was over 300, but I had zero health problems other than the PCOS. It was my decision not to at that time because I wanted to be healthier before I added the stress to my body. The time will go faster than you think. I had to wait 18 months and it was gone in the blink of an eye.

@Wheetsin - In the 8 years I've been married there has been zero prevention with the exception of the 18 mths after surgery, but we also weren't really trying so I completely understand. I've dropped close to 100 and had no luck at things working for us, but fertility treatments are underway so we shall see. As to weight loss helping fertility, I've read articles that say losing 15% of your body weight greatly increases fertility.

Indeed! And then you have the benefit of carrying the pregnancy at a healthier body weight. There's no way that's anything but good. That was my #1 motivator for getting the band. To aid in conceiving, but primarily to be able to carry a pregnancy and something resembling a healthy weight (I was almost 400 lbs when I had my band surgery).

I talked to my OB about this when I was pregnant. She told me she _would not_ want to see me in her office if I still weighed 400 lbs. Not in that she'd refuse to treat me, just in that it would be a very... not ideal time to be pregnant.

Good luck with your treatments!

@Wheetsin - In the 8 years I've been married there has been zero prevention with the exception of the 18 mths after surgery, but we also weren't really trying so I completely understand. I've dropped close to 100 and had no luck at things working for us, but fertility treatments are underway so we shall see. As to weight loss helping fertility, I've read articles that say losing 15% of your body weight greatly increases fertility.

@Des0520- Yeah I am not sure why they wouldnt because I have no health problems either. But I had a very high risk pregnancy with my daughter. I had high blood pressure...never had pre eclampsia but 1 week after I had my daughter I got full blown eclampsia and was rushed to the E.R and they drained 26 pounds of Fluid of out me. I could have had a stroke. So that could be their reason why...because I may be at rish for it agaIn.

Can someone tell me what PCOS is? Like I know what it stands for but what is it and how do I know if I have it?

@Jessica - the high risk is probably why. I don't have any children and have never been pregnant.

PCOS is diagnosed through various test. From what I've read there is no one specific method used by all doctors. For me it was my history of missed periods, extra hair growth, and constant weight gain that caused my doctor to order a lot of blood work. Once that was complete he sent me to get sonograms based on the unbalance of my hormones. The sono nailed the diagnosis in because I have all of these tiny cysts all over my ovaries. So the cysts combined with the hormone levels is what finalized my diagnosis. Once diagnosed, I had more test, biopsies, and then was put on medications.

@Des0520- Yeah I am not sure why they wouldnt because I have no health problems either. But I had a very high risk pregnancy with my daughter. I had high blood pressure...never had pre eclampsia but 1 week after I had my daughter I got full blown eclampsia and was rushed to the E.R and they drained 26 pounds of Fluid of out me. I could have had a stroke. So that could be their reason why...because I may be at rish for it agaIn.

Can someone tell me what PCOS is? Like I know what it stands for but what is it and how do I know if I have it?

I can be pretty sure the Eclampsia was the reason as it is very high risk in a " normal weight patient " the doc probably did not want to add being 100 lbs overweight to that scenario . Even after weightloss if you do conceive again you may be Eclamptic again but it will be easier to manage if that makes sense?

@Kalimomof3- Yes that makes perfect sense! :) I figured that was probably why. Well I hope to god I dont have it with my next one because it wasnt fun at all!

Best of luck to all of you and I hope that weight loss will help increase your fertility.

Just one thing I wanted to add because of my personal experience, though!

If you AND your partner haven't had a full workup, do not let any doctor tell you (without running any tests on both of you) that your weight is the culprit in your infertility.

DH and I wasted years TTC being told the only issue was my weight. So as I tried diet after diet to lose weight (Nutrisystem once, Weight Watchers twice) and only shed thirty five pounds I was heartbroken and beating myself up for our inability to conceive. Three different GPs told me the issue was my weight, without bothering to run hormone panels or test my husband.

Well, we FINALLY got a sympathetic GP that tested both of us and lo and behold! The issue was my husband, poor guy. I could have lost 100 pounds and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference - we had to move straight to IVF w/ICSI.

So unless you're SURE it's PCOS related infertility (the way weight is usually culpable for infertility) or some other issue losing weight can resolve, be sure to get tested! Do not allow your medical professionals to discriminate against you based upon your size, and take the lazy way out.

That is all. :)

Best to all of you gals!

~Cheri

I wish everyone would read this post again. Fat women have been getting pregnant and having children since the dawn of time so obviously weight alone is not 100% the cause of most infertility. Please get yourself and/or partner tested for everything fertility related. For women, PCOS is real and probably effects millions because their doctors do not take their issues seriously. Weight alone is not always the culprit in health issues!

I have been lucky to be treated by a wonderful ob/gyn that tested and diagnosed me with it years ago. Never any judgement concerning my weight (highest 397 lbs) and she has been adamant that when ready, she would prescribe me with any fertility drugs needed to conceive. Since I am still single that was never necessary though but it was nice to have a physician that did not play the weight fear game, refreshing actually.

Once again, please get tested before automatically believing your infertility is weight related, changing doctors if necessary to get the best health care results.

What does DH stand for? I've seen several ppl use that before.....

*Jess*

What does DH stand for? I've seen several ppl use that before.....

*Jess*

Dear Hubby or something like that...something to do with your husband definitely

I was told at 18 that I wouldn't be able to conceive.....

Change doctors 3 times.... 3 1/2 years later at 21 years old, I found a doctor who told me I had pcos and it's possible to get pregnant, but it's going to a long road....

At 22, I decided to have the lapband.... The lapband failed me this year when it slipped........

At 24, I finally had the sleeve gastrectomy performed (5 days ago!!!) in 2 weeks, I'm already down 21lbs... I have yet to visit my NEW ob/gyn since my awesome one quit her job due to difficult pregnancy......which to me was ironic, considering she was the QUEEN doctor of difficult pregnancies......

I cant wait to get pregnant.... My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant (before this surgery) for FOREVER.... I'm really hoping it happens as soon as my vsg doctor gives me the clear to try.... I can't wait to be a mommy!!!

Goodluck! It sounds like you have had a tough time in the past. Im really sry to hear that. :( that is my main reason for getting this surgery is to help me have more chances of concieving. I have a 4 yr old so I know I can conceive. Well hopefully everything goes well. Congrats on ur weight loss! :) I hope I am as sucessful as u have been!

*Jess*

This is definently a factor for myself when deciding to have surgery. I have had 2 periods in the last 4 years. The only time I had ever ben able to have a regular cycle was with birth control which totally defeats the purpose of getting pregnant. Im only 23 and currently single but I am scared to death that one day I wont be able to have a family. I do have PCOS, I was diagnosed when I 16 and still hadn't started my period. I know that the excess weight is holding me back. I have faith that when I get to this place in my life, I will be able to have a family and be healthy and active. It's nice knowing that there are other women who feel the same. :)