Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant and Considering LB???

I have been thinking about Lap Band for a while now. I'm 5'4" and before surgery was appoximately 221 lbs. I had just so happen to lose about 15 lbs right before I got pregnant. Anyway, I was talking to my OBGYN and she said it is definitely something that I could start after the baby is born. I thought it would be perfect if I could get it while I'm on my maternity leave. I have 12 weeks off, so I will have plenty of recovery time. I'm having my initial consultation on Wednesday. Before they made the appointment for me they asked the surgeon if this was a possibility. He said it was, of course, I will know more when we actually meet.

Has anyone been in this situation? Being pregnant and getting Lab Band so close to delivery? My other concern is that I'm usually weighing in between 225 and 210 lbs (depending on how I'm eating and working out). I don't believe I have any commorbities, so I'm afraid they will say no. Also, at my current weight with the pregnancy 233 my BMI is just over 40. I feel like I'm so close to the NO your insurance won't cover it answer. :cry

Sorry for the long novel, but I just wanted to see what input I could find.

Thanks!

I think your best advice will be from your surgeon, especially form the health point of view. I would think it would be difficult not being able to lift the baby, especially a new born. I can't keep my hands off of them, they're so squeezable.

Good luck on your decision.

I agree that the best thing to do is talk to your surgeon and take everything into consideration. I do think it would be very difficult taking care of a new born while you are recovering from major surgery yourself though. Would you have help at home for a while?

There is no way I personally would ever have considered taking such a big step right after giving birth. Our bodies are in flux after giving birth, and IMO that is not the time to undertake a severe calorie-restricted diet, particularly if you're breastfeeding.

There is PLENTY of time to think about banding. While it seems logical to try to do it while you're on maternity leave, you really will have lots of other things to think about during that time. Don't load yourself up with a personal transition like becoming a WLS patient as well. Recovery from banding surgery is very short; I had surgery on a Wednesday and was back at work on Monday with no one the wiser. You can do it on next year's vacation.

Those are my thoughts. I waited until I was done nursing my youngest child to start thinking about weight-loss surgery. The surgery is not a big deal, but going for it right on top of giving birth and nursing it would be. Do yourself a favor and concentrate on one thing at a time. The band will be there for you when you're ready. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!

I had a c-section and waited 10 months after my daughter was born to have this surgery. Personally I think you should weight until she is about 4-6 months old and have it done then.

Our bodies go through a lot w/having a baby and I honestly don't think my surgeon would have done it so soon after delivery especially with my c-section.