Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi ya Sleevers!

I'm 6 weeks out and wanted to know.....has anyone had any type ideas for healthy County Fair Foods for me to have? I went last night and still had chicken and broccoli,but maybe I'm not thinking outside the box? I was going to ask my nut if I can have corn on the cob...but I don't think that's gonna fly. Anyway any suggestions?

Thanks!

Well, a good idea for you in the future is to sign up for something like myfitnesspal.com and do research before you go somewhere.

We had nutritionional classes where I had surgery. chicken & broccoli were your right choices (depending on how they were cooked and if butter was added to them).

At six weeks, being newly sleeved, corn on the cob would not have been a good idea. Corn is harder to digest, and it's full of carbohydrates.

• 19 carbs in a very small ear (2¾ oz or 77g)
  • 22 carbs in a small boiled or steamed corn on the cob (5½" to 6½")
  • 26 carbs in a medium boiled or steamed corn on the cob (6¾" to 7½")
  • 29 carbs in a large boiled or steamed corn on the cob (7¾" to 9")
  • If it's extremely salted then you will have the sodium issue and buttered, then a whole lot of unnecessary fat.

The sleeve isn't a diet though, it's a way of life, so if you know you are going out to dinner, plan ahead. If you go somewhere for steak, inquire before you go how they prepare the steak, are they the kind of place that adds butter to the steak before they send it out? Are the vegetables sauteed in butter and never be afraid to ask for something that normally gets fried to or sauteed to be poached or to omit the added fat.

A fair, however you don't have much choices, usually turkey, unbreaded chicken and unfried vegetables are your best bet.

init4me

i could never go to our state fair at the end of this month where all that yummy food is :(

I know i wouldn't eat anything,its not that i would be tempted to eat

all those delicious smells would drive me crazy - why torture myself?

i think everything at the fair is fried and all that terrible stuff could be wrong,

don't think the word healthy and fair are possible :(

don't think anything good could come out at the fair - food and stuff about going to the fair where the food is - - warning, warning

stick to seeing the sites in different bldgs. then again they always have free sample

"try and think out of the box", in this case it doesn't work for me

good luck

kathy

If your tummy is ready for it, turkey legs are usually a good choice :low carb, high Protein, and relatively low fat. Sounds like you made a great choice, though!

I went to the Pierogi Festival. There were 19 Pierogi vendors and I think a total of 60 food vendors and didn't eat a thing. There was turkey legs and I should have gotten one to take a few bites, but I had a shake before I left and I ate when I got home.

Fairs are about having fun with the people you were with. At 8 weeks I am pretty secure now with going out. My big test will be going to the movies lol.

Rice Pasta and bread are on a no no list for me until three months and very limited after that

Thanks everyone....for responding.

init4me

i could never go to our state fair at the end of this month where all that yummy food is :(

I know i wouldn't eat anything,its not that i would be tempted to eat

all those delicious smells would drive me crazy - why torture myself?

i think everything at the fair is fried and all that terrible stuff could be wrong,

don't think the word healthy and fair are possible :(

don't think anything good could come out at the fair - food and stuff about going to the fair where the food is - - warning, warning

stick to seeing the sites in different bldgs. then again they always have free sample

"try and think out of the box", in this case it doesn't work for me

good luck

kathy

Hey Kathy...Yeah your right it could be a really tough place to be with all the smells and foods. My Mom and I go every year together and I absolutely love seeing all the other things the fair has to offer besides just food. Our fair is pretty big, so we are lucky that we are able to have some healthy options too. Just thought I would ask to see if maybe I didn't think of anything "out of the box, but still in my way of Life plan". I think I did fine with what I had and I did bring some back up in a cooler in my car just in case ( you know I just don't want to be without =-)). Take care!

Well, a good idea for you in the future is to sign up for something like myfitnesspal.com and do research before you go somewhere.

We had nutritionional classes where I had surgery. chicken & broccoli were your right choices (depending on how they were cooked and if butter was added to them).

At six weeks, being newly sleeved, corn on the cob would not have been a good idea. Corn is harder to digest, and it's full of carbohydrates.

• 19 carbs in a very small ear (2¾ oz or 77g)
  • 22 carbs in a small boiled or steamed corn on the cob (5½" to 6½")
  • 26 carbs in a medium boiled or steamed corn on the cob (6¾" to 7½")
  • 29 carbs in a large boiled or steamed corn on the cob (7¾" to 9")
  • If it's extremely salted then you will have the sodium issue and buttered, then a whole lot of unnecessary fat.

The sleeve isn't a diet though, it's a way of life, so if you know you are going out to dinner, plan ahead. If you go somewhere for steak, inquire before you go how they prepare the steak, are they the kind of place that adds butter to the steak before they send it out? Are the vegetables sauteed in butter and never be afraid to ask for something that normally gets fried to or sauteed to be poached or to omit the added fat.

A fair, however you don't have much choices, usually turkey, unbreaded chicken and unfried vegetables are your best bet.

Hi ya....yeah I was pretty safe with the chicken and broc. Just thought I would see if anyone knows of something else that maybe I didn't think of....tha'ts why I couldn't of gone on myfitnesspal ( which I am on). I is nice to know that our fair does have healthy options and a TON of other things to experience that's not centered around just food. . Have a good weekend and thanks for reminding me about corn =-)

Wow! I'm actually surprised that you were able to find a healthy meal at a fair! :) We have our annual "Potato Days Festival" coming up in a couple of weeks. Pretty much anything you could possibly make with potatoes will be served. (And don't forget the mashed potato wrestling, mashed potato sculpture contest, etc.)

http://www.potatodays.com/

Wow! I'm actually surprised that you were able to find a healthy meal at a fair! :) We have our annual "Potato Days Festival" coming up in a couple of weeks. Pretty much anything you could possibly make with potatoes will be served. (And don't forget the mashed potato wrestling, mashed potato sculpture contest, etc.)

http://www.potatodays.com/

Well let's just say...it's a very small slection! We do have steamed artichokes ( and I like them with nothing on them...I know weird, but that's how I roll), I've seen grilled veggies and the turkey legs and chicken. I just have to see how they are made. I thought about the potato's, but like I'd be able to have a bite and that's it...so I have to see if my husband wants 98% of it. Well I post after I go to the next fair at the end of the month.

Our state fair is coming up in October and we have chicken on a stick. I'm just telling y'all now that I'm going to try and be good but I might have to taste it! It's just the best thing ever at the fair. I'll steer clear of the free biscuits and honey (so good!), and the funnel cakes and taffy and candy/caramel apples! But the chicken on a stick....I will taste it. It's battered and fried with potatoes and pickles on the stick. Not a thick batter either. Just enough to cover it. Lol

I talk all crazy about this and I would probably get sick off 2 bites. But I can dream :-)

Yeah it's better NOT to sick (or run to the bathroom) in front of everyone. There will probably be just regular chicken offered at your fair. I would probably go for that if you can. The most important thing to remember is HAVE FUN! It's not all about the food...we are so much more then that!

When I'm in doubt if my destination will offer something I can safely eat, I toss my small insulated lunch bun in my purse and put a small frozen gel pack in it with a couple of string cheese sticks, a Quest bar, some sliced apples & a small cup of Peanut Butter, etc. I always have single service crystal light pouches in my bag too.

init4me, sounds like you did a great job! I would also add that maybe some of the bbq'd meats that don't have the sauce on them would work too. Not sure where you're at transition wise w/beef and pork. Anything grilled and not sauced up should be fine. I don't think your going to derail yourself! Sounds like you had a good time w/your mom!!