Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared I Might Be Pregnant

I am almost 4 weeks post-op and I am so scared right now I might be pregnant.

A week before surgery they had me stop my birth control because it adds to the risk of blood clots after surgery. I am supposed to start my birth control next Monday but now I am scared I might already be pregnant.

My husband and I have had sex since the day after I got home from the hospital. I have been diagnosed with PCOS so I figured that I can't get pregnant without assistance such as Chlomid or IVF or whatever.

I am starting to have some of the early symptoms of pregnancy such as very light brown spotting, that they say is implantation spotting and really bad fatigue.

It is still too early to take a home pregnancy test but I am seriously afraid that I am pregnant. We have a 6 year old daughter and of course want another baby. In fact one of the reasons that I got the surgery is to help with the PCOS so that we can have another child but I don't want one right now! I can't believe I did this.I am worried that I am not going to be able to lose weight if I am pregnant.

Any advice? Words of encouragement?

Get a home pregancy test and call your doctor is the best advice I can think of.

Edit: Just remembered that they tested me to see if I was pregnant before I had surgery, you might check with your medical records to see if they did that with you as well.

Edited by Ryokokitty

It's also possible that you are having spotting because of the hormonal changes from surgery or due to hormonal changes from stopping your birth control...so don't freak out just yet. If you are pregnant, it's not ideal, but others have gotten through a pregnancy while still in their first year post-op. Still, I'd be willing to bet the spotting is not because of a pregnancy, but because of all the hormonal stuff going on in your body right now. My thoughts are with you.

I had brown spotting and was 10 days late. Felt sick to my stomach but was not pregnant. I knew for sure. She told me the morning sickness was probably low blood sugar. I hope everything works out for you.

A number of women report whacked out cycles after surgery, so don't get crazy yet. First Response Early Response tests as little as 6.5 mlU of HCG in your system and is accurate as early as ten days post ovulation. If you're experiencing actual pregnancy systems, your hormones should be elevated enough for a positive test.

More likely, you aren't pregnant. While I'm sure you might want to enjoy another child later, I'm hoping this is just a hormonal fluke, so that you can adjust to your sleeve prior to experiencing a pregnancy.

Let us know how things come out.

~Cheri

I'm praying that u aren't since u don't want to be. But just in case u r, I'll say I'm 12 weeks prego and only 4 months post op. definitely not ideal and wasn't in my plan but everything has been fine so far and my doctors aren't expecting major complications so try not to get too worried either way.

At first when I thought that I might be pregnant I was scared as hell and thought there was no way this can be happening to me after years of wanting surgery and finally getting it. Then my hubby and I started to get excited about the thought of it and even started talking about names. Shortly after that we found out that I am not pregnant. I still have not started my period but have had the blood work and everything so it is most likely my cycle is all out of whack. I am back on birth control, and have hope that when the time comes to have a baby the PCOS will not hold us back. Thank you everyone here, this issue has been a bit of a roller coaster ride for us emotionally but we just keep on trucking! And it makes it a bit easier that I am starting to lose weight again.....