Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking/eating Habit Breaking Suggestions?

Tomorrow I begin purreed foods and thought I have been practicing the 5min before and 30 min after no drinking rule, it is something I constantly struggle with. I understand that it's an important rule and I want to become more successful at it. So far it has not been as difficult for me, as full liquids feels kind of like drinking to me anyway (and is for some). I am one of those people who takes a few bites, washes it down with Water rinse and repeat. It has been pretty difficult working on this not eating and drinking rule.

Do you guys have any tips on what helped you get through this? Anyone else have trouble breaking this habit? I am determined to get it down and put it into habit, but I am hoping that maybe some of you have tips. For the moment I am spending 30 minutes staring at the clock =p I try and distract myself but my mouth just feels so dryyyyy!

Thanks!

it takes a few week. but it then will become habit. you can do it. set a timer so you dont have to watch the clock and see if that helps. go for a quick walk.

I think understanding why this is done is the key to breaking this habit. Someone posted this video a couple weeks ago & I think it really helps to explain why we need to follow this "rule"

I ALWAYS drank with my meals. When I had my surgery, my facilitator told me a couple of things that helped. The first thing is, eating with a meal could make you throw up. Since this was the last thing that I wanted, especially earlier, it helped keep me focused. The other thing was an analogy. Think of a clogged sink, what do you do to try and clean it out...you rinse with Water. Drinking with meals has the same effect, it helps the food move through faster, increasing the likely-hood that you won't feel as full for as long. It was a hard thing to get used to, but know I don't even thing about it. The odd time I might have a few sips, especially if something is ****y or dry, but I have kicked the habit. Also, it can hurt if you drink and eat at the same time, so that is another thing to remember. It is hard to create new habits, but just keep at it, and it will become second nature!

I have the same issue and I am thinking of trying to put all drinks away before my meal and then not going to get anything for a while after. I think for me I usually have it there with my food so I drink it. I am hoping out of sight out of mind kinda thing.

Tomorrow I begin purreed foods and thought I have been practicing the 5min before and 30 min after no drinking rule' date=' it is something I constantly struggle with. I understand that it's an important rule and I want to become more successful at it. So far it has not been as difficult for me, as full liquids feels kind of like drinking to me anyway (and is for some). I am one of those people who takes a few bites, washes it down with Water rinse and repeat. It has been pretty difficult working on this not eating and drinking rule.

Do you guys have any tips on what helped you get through this? Anyone else have trouble breaking this habit? I am determined to get it down and put it into habit, but I am hoping that maybe some of you have tips. For the moment I am spending 30 minutes staring at the clock =p I try and distract myself but my mouth just feels so dryyyyy!

Thanks![/quote']

All of a sudden it's become apparent why u gave me such a hard time about starting soft foods early. Careful of the green-eyed monster.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful suggestions. =)

OTR, I really liked that video, it made a lot of sense.

I think that Shayyt may have hit it on the head, I need to make sure I don't have drinks around to remove some of the temptation.

Please remember to be respectful while expressing your opinions ,rude comments to others are not tolerate on this forum, thanks!

Oh! I posted that video. LOL. I'm so glad others found it useful. Lately I have been trying to not drink while eating. I sometimes take a tiny sip just to wash it through my mouth, but overall I'm trying not to. It's hard for me because I don't think I like the feeling of full, but I am tired of getting hungry again so fast. so I am trying to eat with less drinks. One thing I'm doing is not even bringing them to the table.

Easiest way to break the habit is to eat and drink at the same time till ya stomach hurts. Now you have a deterrent NOT to ever do it again cause u kno of the suffering that comes with it.

Learning the hard way is usually the most efficient way to break habits but least chosen.

I had to catch myself yesterday. I actually picked up the Water as I was about to sit down and eat I did however spit it (water) out. I am only 10 days out so I'm learning. I am scared of hurting my tummy so I haven't been getting in half the potein. I am going to add two shakes back into my diet. My nut told me the other day that drinking and eating not only washes the food out quickly but it can also stretch the stomach. It will get better as some of the others has mention.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using VST

I thought it was 30 min. Before and 30 after is it only 5 before that would be nice. It had now become a habit to do it. That video was helpful. Thank you

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

I thought it was 30 min. Before and 30 after is it only 5 before that would be nice. It had now become a habit to do it. That video was helpful. Thank you

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

I think every surgeon's suggestions are a little different. Mine was 15 minutes before and 30 minutes afterward.

I think every surgeon's suggestions are a little different. Mine was 15 minutes before and 30 minutes afterward.

30 before and after because after 30 minutes the food moves into your intestines crest space for liquids again