Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cant Believe My Restriction

I have been on mushy foods for a few days now and I can not believe I can hardly finish 1/4 cup of food and barely finish one egg with cheese. I know it's goin to take sometime and I know sooner or later I will be fine. It just still surprises me that I can never finish what I put in my small bowl. I can't wait for the reflux to go away too! Just thought id share....

Well good luck, I hope it works out well for you.

I'm a year out and took my 7 year old out to Breakfast the other morning.

I had one egg over medium, 1 piece of toast (thick) and 1 piece of bacon.

I couldn't finish it.

I ate the whole egg, but about half of my toast and half of the bacon. But ... I was satisified. My stomach felt full (the new full) and I wasn't hungry an hour later.

It is a change in lifestyle, for sure, but you adapt.

I am almost 2 years post op and still have great restriction and I am actually amazed some days. It is an adjustment and it does take some getting used to, but after a while it becomes second nature and you really know how much you can eat. Congratulations on your new sleeve!

That's so great to hear everyone! I'm 1 week post op and I feel like I could eat a horse. liquids just are not doing it for me.

Yeah, it takes a bit to wrap your mind around it all. It is hard to believe a person can actually function on these portion sizes, but we can. Not only survive, but thrive!

Like SuperSweetUms says, after awhile, it becomes second nature.

Purple, it's mostly head hunger, make sure you take your PPI and if you have a lot of growling or movement in your stomach, like hunger pains, remember it could also be healing pains. Hard to tell the difference between acid reflux, hunger pains and healing pains. You cut your finger, it throbs...your stomach was cut, it's going to throb while it's healing, the inside and outside is very swollen. When I would get the pains I realized it was just healing pains. A good test is drinking 3 or 4 ounces of Water, I could get 3 ounces down but the 4th I would feel so stuffed and that was just Water.

I'm 8 weeks down, I am still eating 1/4 cup of food, or 2 ounces depending. I can get one egg down for lunch and I am stuffed.

It is a little bit hard since starting real food to watch my family fill up their huge plates with food, and I'm eating off a saucer or a 1/4 cup little pretty bowl that I use, and they eat their entire plate and are going for seconds, and I'm not even 1/2 through my quarter cup.

I am grateful that I don't eat the way I used to. I used to compare what I ate to them....they would stay the same and I always gained even if I ate 1/2 of what they ate.

Purple' date=' it's mostly head hunger, make sure you take your PPI and if you have a lot of growling or movement in your stomach, like hunger pains, remember it could also be healing pains. Hard to tell the difference between acid reflux, hunger pains and healing pains. You cut your finger, it throbs...your stomach was cut, it's going to throb while it's healing, the inside and outside is very swollen. When I would get the pains I realized it was just healing pains. A good test is drinking 3 or 4 ounces of Water, I could get 3 ounces down but the 4th I would feel so stuffed and that was just Water.

I'm 8 weeks down, I am still eating 1/4 cup of food, or 2 ounces depending. I can get one egg down for lunch and I am stuffed.

It is a little bit hard since starting real food to watch my family fill up their huge plates with food, and I'm eating off a saucer or a 1/4 cup little pretty bowl that I use, and they eat their entire plate and are going for seconds, and I'm not even 1/2 through my quarter cup.

I am grateful that I don't eat the way I used to. I used to compare what I ate to them....they would stay the same and I always gained even if I ate 1/2 of what they ate.[/quote']

Mina- I love it honesty and bluntness ;). I am grateful too for my sleeve it just blows my mind how I used to eat and how I do now.

I am so glad to hear this. It really makes me have faith in my long term success that I will still have that reminder there when I'm a year or more out as long as I follow the guides to maintain my sleeve =) Thank you for this post.

I am two yrs sleeved just ate supper which was half of catfish filet stemmed broc and I am full I am never hungry it is a life style u learn to enjoy I've not been tied to a scale I do try and drink as much Water as can and I still drink a protien shake for te protien u will get use to it so keep up the good work it is worth it

Purple, it's mostly head hunger, make sure you take your PPI and if you have a lot of growling or movement in your stomach, like hunger pains, remember it could also be healing pains. Hard to tell the difference between acid reflux, hunger pains and healing pains. You cut your finger, it throbs...your stomach was cut, it's going to throb while it's healing, the inside and outside is very swollen. When I would get the pains I realized it was just healing pains. A good test is drinking 3 or 4 ounces of Water, I could get 3 ounces down but the 4th I would feel so stuffed and that was just Water.

I am grateful that I don't eat the way I used to. I used to compare what I ate to them....they would stay the same and I always gained even if I ate 1/2 of what they ate.

What is PPL? I can't eat much either. I am beginning to learn when I am full and although I haven't eaten much...I have to tell myself don't try to eat 25 min later...LOL!

PPI is a proton-pump inhibitor is a pill like prilosec, pepsid it is a long-last pill you take to help reduce gastic acid production. Acid reflux burns your esophagus. If you have ever woken up in the middle night because you threw up while you were sleeping and it went back down, that's acid reflux. It eventually wears down your esophagus. People who get sleeved are prone to acid reflux. I had acid reflux before being sleeved and luckily I have less now.

When you first have surgery, a lot of your system kind of falls asleep. Some people have a problem having a bm, some people have problems urinating, etc. After surgery, your stomach is empty. All you are getting in your stomach is Water, maybe some Isopure or tea.

After having 85% of your stomach removed and you have not had much food the acid producing hormone or whatever it is probably quite low, as you start introducing new liquids and foods, the acid starts building up in your stomach. Remember this acid is now going up against an incision line and your inside of your stomach is still very swollen from the surgery.

Your stomach is going to shake, jive, shimmey and do all kinds of weird things at first. If I noticed I didn't chew well enough sometimes it feels like my stomach knots up and does a weird flip flop on one tiny piece of pretty well chewed up something or another.

Best of luck again.