Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling Post-Vsg And Managing Protein Needs

Hi all,

I'm just getting ready to leave on a long international trip and so thought I would share what I have found about traveling and managing Protein.< /p>

I found out that I can buy Protein powder that, if not the same, is comparable to what I am using here. So while I am packing a canister of powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, I can buy more in the countries to which I am traveling. I posted questions regarding supplement stores in the TripAdvisor.com forums for the cities I am visiting and locals were happy to recommend stores.

Getting my protein during two solid days of flights is another challenge as I thought I would not be allowed to bring my 11 oz. ready-to-drink Premier shakes. I was happy to be wrong! The TSA will allow my Protein Shakes as medically necessary. I don't need a doctor note or anything, just to declare them as medically necessary and pack them separate for they will screened separately. So, I am taking six shakes for two days of travel.

I called the TSA to verify all this, and they were very nice (although definitely all business). They even offered a confirming email:

Travelers are not limited in the amount or volume of medically necessary food items and liquids they may bring through Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screening checkpoints. However, if these items exceed 3.4 ounces and are not contained in a single, quart-size, clear plastic, resealable bag, the passengers must declare the items to a Transportation Security Officer (TSO) for additional screening. TSA has established procedures that allow TSOs to screen medically exempt liquids, gels, and aerosols.

To prevent the spoilage of medically necessary food items, TSA recommends, if possible, that food is frozen, securely wrapped, or placed in a spill-proof container before carrying the items through the security checkpoint. Gel packs are permitted in accessible property for the purpose of cooling medically exempt items. Additionally, after clearing the security checkpoint, passengers may purchase ice from inside the secured areas of airports for cooling food items during flight.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA’s Travel Tips prior to their trip. In addition, our Web site, www.tsa.gov, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel.

If this is not the case when going through airport security, I will certainly report back!

This is such a great topic. I won't be sleeved till the end of the month, but am considering a trip to the UK next March or April (I see that you're about 8 months beyond surgery, and I'd be about 6-7 months out at that point). Please post an update when you return and share what else you learned. Good luck with the Protein Shakes and be aware that European flight security agencies may not be as cooperative as the TSA for your return flight. Are you able to tolerate Protein Bars?

I have been traveling with significant amounts of liquids (medicated formula for my son) for six years now. I would HIGHLY advise you print that out and carry it with you. Two times out of three I am asked to open (and thus spoil) each individual, medically sealed container. Don't get upset, remember you are dealing with some of the lowest intelligence beings on the earth, and calmly ask for a supervisor if asked to open the items or are given any slack. Each item will be screened in a machine to check for bad goober which takes a few mins. Don't arrive late! DON'T CARRY ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS AGAINST THE RULES! You are already peeving them off so don't include Shampoo in a gallon size bottle :). You will also likely get the full body pat down because of your extra cargo. It's par for the course so be calm and just picture Barry fife.

You may get lucky and have none of the issues above...but I get that nearly every trip....or did until we bought our own plane because we got sick of it.

This is such a great topic. I won't be sleeved till the end of the month, but am considering a trip to the UK next March or April (I see that you're about 8 months beyond surgery, and I'd be about 6-7 months out at that point). Please post an update when you return and share what else you learned. Good luck with the Protein shakes and be aware that European flight security agencies may not be as cooperative as the TSA for your return flight. Are you able to tolerate Protein bars?

I have packed some protein bars but they are my last resort. They are barely tolerable. I keep them on hand but usually feed to my husband. Plus, the calories are too high for the grams of protein, IMO.

My outbound trip is the long haul - I'll be traveling about 24 hours on several flights. The first one, leaving the U.S., is the long one, so I should be okay if I get them through the TSA since I will probably consume four between the airport and the flight.

I have been traveling with significant amounts of liquids (medicated formula for my son) for six years now. I would HIGHLY advise you print that out and carry it with you. Two times out of three I am asked to open (and thus spoil) each individual, medically sealed container. Don't get upset, remember you are dealing with some of the lowest intelligence beings on the earth, and calmly ask for a supervisor if asked to open the items or are given any slack. Each item will be screened in a machine to check for bad goober which takes a few mins. Don't arrive late! DON'T CARRY ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS AGAINST THE RULES! You are already peeving them off so don't include Shampoo in a gallon size bottle :). You will also likely get the full body pat down because of your extra cargo. It's par for the course so be calm and just picture Barry fife.

You may get lucky and have none of the issues above...but I get that nearly every trip....or did until we bought our own plane because we got sick of it.

Can I borrow your plane? :D

I know it is a total roll of the dice if the supplements make it on the plane or not but I am going to try. I will definitely put a copy of the email in each bag. How stupid of them to spoil the contents by opening them, but I can see that happening.

If needed, I will ask for a supervisor, but I will not be totally surprised if they are confiscated. If they want to do the full body pat down, so be it.

I am also carrying my small bottle of prescription liquid pain killer (but over the 3 oz rule). Now if they tamper with that, I will be having a hissy fit! :ph34r:

Yes, I will report in afterward!

Well, happy to say I am in the lounge awaiting our flight with my Premier shakes and my meds. I did, however, get a complete pat down search and my luggage was tested for whatever they test for. They were extremely nice and concened about not upsetting me even though I told them I expected this might happen. Good experience! This was at terminal D at DFW. I know this hit or miss though.

Thank you very much for this thread. I fly to Singapore 5 weeks post-op. the flight is 18 hours and 45 minutes. I will definately pack a couple of shakes. I will be ble to give plenty of advice on this soon... The next trip is London, the next Amman, and the next Santiago. That gets me to October.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I fly out of DFW every once in a while, thank you for being our guinea pig!

I've traveled several times since surgery, for a week or more, though not internationally. Here are my strategies:

(1) Pack Protein Powder. I usually mix up snack-size baggies of my morning concoction, which consists of a scoop of Unjury chocolate, 2T unsweetened cocoa powder, and a pinch of salt. When I'm making it, I blend it with warm unsweetened almond milk. I've nearly always been able to get almond milk when traveling, and in a pinch I can mix it into coffee. (I also pack a measuring cup and whisk, and if I won't have a microwave, an immersion heater.)

(2) Pack Protein bars - I LOVE the Quest protein bars. They travel really well (not prone to melting or crumbling). They're best when microwaved for a few seconds, but are fine at room temp, if a bit chewy. Really great stats. GNC stores are beginning to carry them, but I order online for best selection of flavors. The apple pie nuked for a few seconds and topped with SF whipped cream is heavenly! Ok.. getting off topic there...

(3) Pack other protein sources, like nuts, protein pudding mix, Ostrim (I don't care for jerky).

(4) For the flight, I've often filled the approved travel-size bottles people use for Shampoo, etc. 2/3 full of Water and frozen them. I send them through security like any other liquid, in the approved sized baggie, then they can go back in my insulated lunch bag. Then I can buy something at the airport like hard boiled eggs, cheese, a sandwich (ditch the bread) or a salad with chicken, and keep it cold until I'm ready to eat it on the flight.

(4) I always try to get a small fridge in my room - most hotels can do this if you ask - some medications have to be refrigerated, so it's not an uncommon need for guests. When I get where I'm going, I can hit a local grocery for almond milk, lunch meat, and cheese, and some veggies - easy lunches, and sometimes dinners too.

If you're going to be staying one place for several nights, you can mail / FedEx yourself a box with supplies. This can be great for items like ready-to-drink shakes. Just call the hotel to find out how it should be addressed.

This is such a great topic. I won't be sleeved till the end of the month' date=' but am considering a trip to the UK next March or April (I see that you're about 8 months beyond surgery, and I'd be about 6-7 months out at that point). Please post an update when you return and share what else you learned. Good luck with the Protein shakes and be aware that European flight security agencies may not be as cooperative as the TSA for your return flight. Are you able to tolerate Protein bars?[/quote']

If you are coming to UK you will have no trouble getting protein powder, ready made shakes and bars from big supermarkets in large towns (not sure what part of UK you are coming to??) I get ready made shakes with 25g of protein and 141 calories in Tesco. Most large supermarkets have a good section covering these products. If you are going to very remote areas in Scotland/Wales you may need to stock up. If you need any further help before you travel just let me know.

If you are coming to UK you will have no trouble getting Protein powder' date=' ready made shakes and bars from big supermarkets in large towns (not sure what part of UK you are coming to??) I get ready made shakes with 25g of Protein and 141 calories in Tesco. Most large supermarkets have a good section covering these products. If you are going to very remote areas in Scotland/Wales you may need to stock up. If you need any further help before you travel just let me know.[/quote']

I will be spending 8 days in he Mayfair section of London 8 weeks post op. Some stores that sell ready- made Protein Shakes would be a real blessing. I know how to find a proper pint in SoHo, but shakes will be a new challenge.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I really don't think you will have any problem getting them in London. Major supermarkets sell both the powder and ready made cans. Enjoy your trip, I hope the rain stays away for you

Kinda not really fitting with this topic, but, did you know that Pop-Tarts are illegal to sell in GB? Kinda crazy I thought. How bad is a food to be banned by a government?

This is very helpful! I'll be travelling to Scotland for Christmas and will probably be pretty newly sleeved, no idea when my surgery will be.

Just as long as Tesco or Asda has some Protein options I'll be fine! But it's not a bad idea to maybe ship some of my favorites on ahead of us to be there for me.

Wow. Thanks for this topic. I will be 10 weeks post op when I travel to Viet Nam and Cambodia for two weeks. I didn't know I could pack shakes. I thought I'd be eating hard boiled eggs all through the flight.

This is very helpful! I'll be travelling to Scotland for Christmas and will probably be pretty newly sleeved' date=' no idea when my surgery will be.

Just as long as Tesco or Asda has some Protein options I'll be fine! But it's not a bad idea to maybe ship some of my favorites on ahead of us to be there for me.[/quote']

Oh so you will have to purée square sausage and tattle scones! Scotland is no place for low calories ;-)