Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Part of the problem is how some people resort to hyperbole in criticizing how others are eating. I had started a thread last week about how I drank a little bit of flat' date=' watered down, caffeine free Diet Coke and you'd have thought I had eaten live babies. People were outraged and all I did was say how I was amazed how it made me feel better to be just a little normal again. But I was told I was going to cause a leak, ruin my weight loss, etc., all over a few ounces of soda.

Yet when I started another thread asking if anyone had actually gotten a leak from making poor eating choices, you could hear crickets chirping.

It's become the equivalent of "your face is going to freeze that way."

People need to stop acting like they know everything and know what's right for strangers on an Internet message board. They don't. Only your doctor and nutritionist know what's best for you. The lesson to be learned is, if you have a question, call the doctor, don't look for a reasonable dialogue here because it's not going to happen. I'm almost 3 weeks out and spoke with my doc and nut about how I've had no problems getting anything down, no vomiting, no reflux, but I'm having trouble dealing with puréed food because it's just too gross. They said to move on to softs and just chew well. If I had asked people about that here, my head would have been chewed, rather puréed, off.

People should just say, "if you have a question, call your doctor, but I did ____ when I was in your situation." I'm not sure why that's so hard to do.[/quote']

Couldn't have said it better!!Where are the facts to back up that somebody is dead from eating puréed food on day 10 instead of 14????? Really?

Couldn't have said it better!!Where are the facts to back up that somebody is dead from eating puréed food on day 10 instead of 14????? Really?

Those people are dead and therefore, cannot post.

Are you saing we should just ignore our doctor's plan because other people tried it and didn't die?

.....Yet when I started another thread asking if anyone had actually gotten a leak from making poor eating choices' date=' you could hear crickets chirping.....

People should just say, "if you have a question, call your doctor, but I did ____ when I was in your situation." I'm not sure why that's so hard to do.[/quote']

I didn't see your other thread, but I would think it would be terribly difficult to narrow down the exact cause of a leak, unless you swallowed a tonka truck.

And I definitely agree with your last statement, people should ask their doctor what they can or cannot eat rather than asking Internet strangers.

Hyperbole alert! ;)

Some of the confusion is caused by the fact that every surgeon and surgery program have different post op requirements. I know a lot of people here got through their purée stage by eating refried Beans. My NUT said no Beans until 3 months post op. :(

I doubt anyone would die from advancing themselves a little early. That being said, surgeons make their standard food stages based on how most people heal. One of the first things my program case manager said to our orientation class was, "You are not special." This was in the context of people objecting to our pre op diet and wanting to tweak it to fit their perceived needs, but it applies to post op healing as well.

I'm glad that the person you quoted was able to get permission to tweak her recovery eating plan (sorry not to use your name, but I don't remember it and iPhone will lose my post if I go back to see). However, the majority of people should realize that they shouldn't tweak their recovery diets just because it's hard, they don't like it, or they're bored.

I know that some of us (at least me) are reluctant to share the ways we've gone off plan because we don't want to seem like we're giving permission for others to do so. Last month, if I'd seen a post from someone else in their first week post op who'd been able to eat chicken salad without a problem, I'd have been sneaking it off my Mom's plate when she wasn't looking and I'd probably snitch a chip as well. Maybe I'd have gotten sick, maybe I'd have been fine. I would feel bad if I posted about cheating on my plan and someone hurt themselves by copying me.

Those people are dead and therefore' date=' cannot post.

Are you saing we should just ignore our doctor's plan because other people tried it and didn't die?

[/quote']

I haven't ignored my doctor's plan, at all. But I haven't found one ioda of fact behind saying someone will die from eating purée on day 10 instead of 14. That's ridiculous.

I just think we should have a more supportive tone when we post things. Everybody has struggles.

We are all adults, so we shouldn't stoop to catty internet arguments and negativity. Just agree to disagree and move on.

Just MY opinion. :) Remember we are in this together, hence we are all members of the same site.

Just a reminder,please be respectful to others while expressing your own opinions,thanks.

My doctor told me that the greatest risk of leaks is 3-5 weeks' date=' after the swelling has gone down, and is due to essentially hydraulic back pressure created as the stomach pushes food into the small intestine. Based on that, I WILL NOT CHEAT. It simply is not worth the risk. I will be in mushies then and they will be truly mushy. I'm patient; I have the rest of my life to eat. A few weeks is NOT going to kill me.[/quote']

Well said...but I just want to add...a few bites during the healing process could kill you. It's not cheating...it's Russian roulette. I can tell you don't play with guns. I don't either and I'm danged sure I'm not going to tell someone else it's a good idea!

It is REALLY getting frustrating how judgmental people have been on this forum lately. So much so that posts such as izuri's make me refrain from posting' date=' our visiting nearly as often. A simple "you should be careful to follow your doctors recommended diet" with your recomemded tips would suffice.

Seriously, get off your high horses people...[/quote']

I agree... I enjoy reading post & learning from others both good & bad situations....everyone is not cut from the same cloth and we live in a imperfect world... I went to my post-op class a few days ago & this chic said she ate a slice of pizza that took her 30 minutes to eat....she and I both was sleeved on July 24 but I didn't judge her because if she can live with it so can I...at least she was honest & know that it was wrong but at the end of the day I am not stressing myself out over what others do.... I am just thankful after 3 days out I could start puree foods which I didn't because I was afraid.....wishing everyone success

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using VST

Part of the problem is how some people resort to hyperbole in criticizing how others are eating. I had started a thread last week about how I drank a little bit of flat' date=' watered down, caffeine free Diet Coke and you'd have thought I had eaten live babies. People were outraged and all I did was say how I was amazed how it made me feel better to be just a little normal again. But I was told I was going to cause a leak, ruin my weight loss, etc., all over a few ounces of soda.

Yet when I started another thread asking if anyone had actually gotten a leak from making poor eating choices, you could hear crickets chirping.

It's become the equivalent of "your face is going to freeze that way."

People need to stop acting like they know everything and know what's right for strangers on an Internet message board. They don't. Only your doctor and nutritionist know what's best for you. The lesson to be learned is, if you have a question, call the doctor, don't look for a reasonable dialogue here because it's not going to happen. I'm almost 3 weeks out and spoke with my doc and nut about how I've had no problems getting anything down, no vomiting, no reflux, but I'm having trouble dealing with puréed food because it's just too gross. They said to move on to softs and just chew well. If I had asked people about that here, my head would have been chewed, rather puréed, off.

Lol "pureed off" I think when people confess on this site its more that he or she is looking for counseling not for someone to high-five them for doing bad....if I ever do something wrong it definitely won't be displayed on this site, I'm picking up the phone or emailing my NUT... :-)

If it make u fill better I was on full liquieds for 8 weeks!!! 2 weeks pr- op and 6 weeks post op I was sleeved on the 25 of jun and I just got to start eating foods and it's not that great for me it's hard to get things down I have to stick to soft foods just saying be happy have a great day :-)

Wow round of applause for you...that is great.... I am one of the forunate ones who was able to start puree foods on day three but didn't because I was afraid....

Wow, pizza in 30 min..it takes me 90 min to drink a Protein shake and I'm 18 days post op.

I personally think about the "bad" foods but it is all in my head because I am not actually hungry. I'm just taking this one day at a time. I am now in my soft/puree phase. Variety seems to sound like it is the hard part for everyone. Also, it takes a lot of planning to do good & not evil (lol).

@Butterthebean....you always make me smile with your comments (which I take to lighten the mood).

Best wishes to everyone to making it through the post op diets (including myself)!!!

We come to this site for support, and support comes in many forms. I think the concern is, no matter how you look at it, the OP DID go against doctor's orders by introducing soft foods early. If she had talked to him before hand and gotten permission, that's one thing, but she didn't. That is something that frightens a lot of us because of all the complications that can follow. It ended well for her, thank God, but for some it doesn't. And yes, there have been deaths linked to leaks that occur as a result of proceeding the diet too early. I cannot post these as I am on my phone, but feel free to google the subject.

Yes, respect is important, but sometimes support isn't sugar coated and isn't a pat on the back but a dose of reality. I urge anyone thinking about advancing early to speak with your doctor or nut first. Guidelines are there for a purpose.

Wow' date=' pizza in 30 min..it takes me 90 min to drink a Protein shake and I'm 18 days post op.

I personally think about the "bad" foods but it is all in my head because I am not actually hungry. I'm just taking this one day at a time. I am now in my soft/puree phase. Variety seems to sound like it is the hard part for everyone. Also, it takes a lot of planning to do good & not evil (lol).

@Butterthebean....you always make me smile with your comments (which I take to lighten the mood).

Best wishes to everyone to making it through the post op diets (including myself)!!![/quote']

I'm so glad there is SOMEONE who doesn't take me too seriously. :)