Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Do I Do It?

Late this afternoon my son and I were out and about running errands and decided to stop to get some dinner on our way home since hubby has a late meeting this evening. My son wanted McDonald's chicken nuggets. Which is definitely not something he gets very often at all. (I am worried he will suffer from obesity like myself/hubby if we don't teach him good habits).

At any rate, I certainly wasn't in the mood to cook to***ht and thought I will grab him some nuggets/apple slices/milk. I thought I will get a salad and behave myself, but before I knew it I was ordering 2 McDouble's, large fries, sweet tea.

Now,this story does have an upside - the girl asked if there was anything else we wanted and I said "Yeah, actually can you change that to salad?" And I ordered the salad instead....BUT....I went there wanting the salad and tried to order not 1 but 2 McDoubles, Fries and a Sweet Tea.

I know that is not a smart choice. Why would I do such a thing???

Late this afternoon my son and I were out and about running errands and decided to stop to get some dinner on our way home since hubby has a late meeting this evening. My son wanted McDonald's chicken nuggets. Which is definitely not something he gets very often at all. (I am worried he will suffer from obesity like myself/hubby if we don't teach him good habits).

At any rate, I certainly wasn't in the mood to cook to***ht and thought I will grab him some nuggets/apple slices/milk. I thought I will get a salad and behave myself, but before I knew it I was ordering 2 McDouble's, large fries, sweet tea.

Now,this story does have an upside - the girl asked if there was anything else we wanted and I said "Yeah, actually can you change that to salad? " And I ordered the salad instead....BUT....I went there wanting the salad and tried to order not 1 but 2 McDoubles, Fries and a Sweet Tea.

There's noooooo way you'd have choked those puppies down anyway! Halfway through the first McDouble, you'd be wondering what in tarnation made you think you could do it! That's the good thing about the sleeve. It keeps you in check pretty well. The biggest binge we could pull off would last about 5 minutes.

(have you been sleeved yet?)

...because this is NOT an easy process, and old habits die hard. While I haven't really had any food cravings, or food catastrophies, I know all it would take is one bag of original Lays to send me spiraling downward.

Good for you on changing that order to a salad.< /p>

No, I have not been sleeved yet. I am expecting to have surgery in late September/early October. I just can't imagine why I would do such a thing. I know it is not right and I am trying to change my ways. Ay yi yi - what a process! Old habits really do die hard!

They really do. It is tough but luckily volume won't be a problem for you anymore, although there are ways around that.

I just moved recently and today my neighbors brought me some brownies over as a welcome gift and I set them on the counter. I have been nibbling on them all day and realized I somehow managed to eat three brownies. THREE. I threw the rest away immediately and took the trash out.

Now to sugar cleanse again.

You know now that you are capable of making a healthy choice, just like I know I can live without brownies.

The head hunger is harder to keep in check than the actual hunger. after the sleeve you will pick the meat from one mcdouble and not finish it from being so full. Hang in there.

Head hunger is an evil thing! Be proud of yourself that you did end up switching to the salad! The important part is YOU WERE STRONG. You were able to make the change to the salad and I really think that's an accomplishment. I was not that strong pre-sleeve. And soon you will have your sleeve and you won't be able to eat nearly that much anyway =)

No, I have not been sleeved yet. I am expecting to have surgery in late September/early October. I just can't imagine why I would do such a thing. I know it is not right and I am trying to change my ways. Ay yi yi - what a process! Old habits really do die hard!

OOOOHHHHHHhhhh...WEll shoot, which one of us had good control over those impulses??? Hence the surgery... There were very few of those that I DIDN'T give in to. But I tell you what. This surgery changes that drastically. Even with low "impulse control" or cravings, or whatever you want to call it..... Getting rid of most of the hunger hormone and stomach volume helps so dramatically. Of course you have to do some hard @$$ work, but it's SOOO much easier now.

I used to get a either a:

Big Mac, Filet O'Fish and super sized fries OR

Double cheeseburger and a 10 piece chicken McNugget and super sized fries

Here are the stats for the first meal:

Calories 1430 Cholesterol 115mg (39%) Protein 47g Calories from Fat 650 Sodium 1960mg (82%) Vitamin A 380IU (8%) Total Fat 72g (111%) Total Carbs 148g (49%) Vitamin C 12mg (20%) Saturated Fat 17g (86%) Dietary Fiber 11g (45%) Calcium 450mg (45%) Trans Fat 1.5g Sugars 15g Iron 8mg (45%)

Here are the stats for the second:

Calories 1470 Cholesterol 150mg (50%) Protein 54g Calories from Fat 710 Sodium 2620mg (109%) Vitamin A 500IU (10%) Total Fat 79g (122%) Total Carbs 136g (45%) Vitamin C 14mg (25%) Saturated Fat 20g (98%) Dietary Fiber 12g (48%) Calcium 330mg (35%) Trans Fat 2g Sugars 14g Iron 6mg (35%)

Considering I eat about 750 calories a day, I am flabbergasted. This is one of 3 meals plus Snacks. I was headed for 300 pounds on a 5' frame. OMG!!!!

Wow, look at all that sodium.

Yay u for catching it and switching to salad! I think it's a habit thing. Oddly, I crave pizza like no ones business. I'll think that it sounds really good, but after one bite I discover that I really don't like it anymore. I've done this 4-5 times. I truly think that it is out of habit. I just need to be cognizant of this and make good food choices. Food is fuel- I need it to fuel my workouts, to keep my hair, and to stay healthy. Good luck with the life style change! U can do it and it is worth it!

Great job on switching to the salad. Once sleeved, as others have stated your meals change drastically. I think it's also great that your trying to teach your son good eating habits now while he is still young, so many young people are obese and struggle with their weight which becomes even more difficult as they age. Congrats to you...

They really do. It is tough but luckily volume won't be a problem for you anymore, although there are ways around that.

I just moved recently and today my neighbors brought me some brownies over as a welcome gift and I set them on the counter. I have been nibbling on them all day and realized I somehow managed to eat three brownies. THREE. I threw the rest away immediately and took the trash out.

Now to sugar cleanse again.

You know now that you are capable of making a healthy choice, just like I know I can live without brownies.

Brownies are a weakness for me as well. Especially if there are pecans in there. Drool....

I can graze an entire pan, so I will have to be careful when I get to solids. Fortunately, I have plenty of people around to demolish such temptations, so I should be able to enjoy that "small taste."

Remember...once on the lips, a lifetime on the hips!

But you should be VERY proud that you made the right choice. It's probably an indication that this tool will be successful for you.

Now,this story does have an upside - the girl asked if there was anything else we wanted and I said "Yeah, actually can you change that to salad?" And I ordered the salad instead....BUT....I went there wanting the salad and tried to order not 1 but 2 McDoubles, Fries and a Sweet Tea.

If you haven't been sleeved yet, that's not that weird at all. You could have easily eaten the whole meal. Hmmm.. guess I don't get this post.