Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Lesson On Day 6 - Don't Pass Gas!

Warning - I am going to discuss something very unpleasant! Having to do with bowel movements. Seriously, stop reading now if you don't want to hear it.

Ok, you were warned.

I hadn't had a bowel movement in 7 days and asked my doctor about it today. I was confused since I thought a liquid diet would certainly move things along. Usually I take a colace every day (for past few years now). They said I could start taking that again because I had stopped when starting the liquid plan.

I got home a few hours later and was sitting at the table catching up on work and thought I had to pass a small amount of gas. I was wrong. So very, very wrong.

How completely embarrassing! Everyone was home - including my teenage daughters boyfriend! I backed out of the room and jumped in the shower but now I'm completely paranoid that it will happen again.

Is this normal? Will it keep happening? For how long? Can I stop it?

It will stop...stop taking the colace...that is what I did...LOL! It will be o.k and Im sure no one knows but you. It happened to me also, so I totally understand how you feel..:)

I had this happened post op. I was so embarassed and to beat it all I was not at home but at my mothers with no spare clothes. My kids thought it was funny...I was humiliated. Considering my mom is tiny i had to wear a pair of men's boxers home. LESSON: always try to go to the bathroom even just to pass gas...lol.

Im so sorry to hear that...i actually have the same problem i started my Vitamins sat and my liquid diet yesterday... I have yet to be able to go since saturday so i called my nut today and she said it is completely normal not to worry about it. The point of the liquid diet isnt to clean one out but to shrink ones liver. Hope that helps. It was a relief hearing her say that being since ive been the opposite the past 4 yrs since i had my gall bladder removal. So for me not to go at all is very unusual...

Good to know I'm not alone. I will certainly not ever trust a fart again. Well said.

By the way, this was NOT covered in any meetings or support groups prior to surgery at the clinic I go to.

The statement is true.....NEVER trust a fart. Just don't !!

By the way, this was NOT covered in any meetings or support groups prior to surgery at the clinic I go to.

I guess it's one of those things they want you to find out for yourself. :)

A few weeks after surgery, when your eating starts to normalize, this will not be a problem any longer. In fact it's just the opposite for me....very tough getting in enough Fiber when you're eating meat all the time. Makes it harder to go.