Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Can I Have A Beer?

I don't see my NUT anymore unless I really need a consult, so I thought I would ask here. I am 11 weeks post op. Feeling great. Off all restrictions. When did you have alcohol the first time? I am well aware that I will only probably be able to drink 1/2 a beer once I drink one, but how long did you wait. I really want a beer. I'm not a big drinker, but I would like to be able to enjoy the occasional beverage.

If you feel you are ready to consume alcohol at this point (I would wait, myself), it is strongly suggested that you don't have beer.

The carbonation in beer will probably hurt due to the bubbles expanding your stomach, and the acidity due to the carbonic acid in the beer might also make your stomach upset.

I tried a Sminoff Ice Light (that's a citrus vodka cooler sweetened with sucralose) a few days ago (I'm about 12 weeks post-op) and I could only drink about 2 sips before it was uncomfortable. It has carbonation and I thought if I took it very slowly, it would be okay. NOT! Plus, truthfully, I didn't really enjoy it at all.

Maybe it was because I was feeling stressed that I was drinking something on the "do not do" list (alcohol AND carbonation), and maybe it was because my tastes have changed. And even from just a couple of sips, I felt the "buzz" very quickly and it wasn't a pleasant buzz........

If you really want to try something alcoholic, try something non-carbonated first and see how a few sips sit before you proceed any further. Make sure you're in a place where if you get a bit "buzzed", it's okay (like home or a friend's place). Make sure you don't have to drive anywhere after. Our alcohol tolerance is so low now that the standard 1 drink per hour and you're okay to drive rule doesn't apply to us anymore!

And finally, alcohol will significantly contribute to dehydration (which is usually why we feel so bad the next day when hung-over!). Make sure you have lots of Water before your drink, and lots more Water after your drink. The last thing you need to do is also get dehyrated, on top of getting tipsy!

My surgeons states no carbonated drinks. Will fill you up quicker, irritate the pouch and eventually stretch it out. .

THIS IS what I found on the internet;

Surgeons have differing opinions about alcohol use after gastric bypass. Some suggest that it is safest to avoid all alcohol because of the problem of alcohol addiction that may sneak up on individuals. Other surgeons feel that alcohol represents "wasted calories" with no nutritional value. Still others fear that alcohol may be one of the substances that could increase the risk of marginal ulcers. In our practice we have suggested that patients can have an alcoholic beverage once in a while as a treat, but avoid regular use of alcohol. I'm not aware of any research that has documented the percentage of patients who use alcohol regularly say five years after surgery.

I think that any gastric bypass patient will realize that alcohol will hit their system much faster and harder than before surgery.

My surgeons states no carbonated drinks. Will fill you up quicker, irritate the pouch and eventually stretch it out. .

THIS IS what I found on the internet;

Surgeons have differing opinions about alcohol use after gastric bypass. Some suggest that it is safest to avoid all alcohol because of the problem of alcohol addiction that may sneak up on individuals. Other surgeons feel that alcohol represents "wasted calories" with no nutritional value. Still others fear that alcohol may be one of the substances that could increase the risk of marginal ulcers. In our practice we have suggested that patients can have an alcoholic beverage once in a while as a treat, but avoid regular use of alcohol. I'm not aware of any research that has documented the percentage of patients who use alcohol regularly say five years after surgery.

I think that any gastric bypass patient will realize that alcohol will hit their system much faster and harder than before surgery.

This is a lot of great information! I agree that it would not hurt to have an occasional drink, but I strongly suggest not drinking beer at this point. The carbonation in the beer would most likely be very painful. I don't drink beer, but I know things that are very fizzy like root beer, cause me a lot of discomfort still and I am 20 months post op. Also, just like bypass patients, alcohol hits our systems a lot faster and harder than a normal person, and it is very easy to get carried away. Through my plan, they actually suggest not drinking alcohol until you have reached goal because it is so high in calories.

Thank you. I'm well aware it is empty calories. I never drink a beer because of the health benefits, and, like I said, I was not a big drinker to begin with. I follow all the rules. What about a small glass of wine? Anyone tried that??

I'm not gonna make a suggestion about when to drink beer. Mostly because I have already had 2 mixed drinks & 1 bottle of Dr Pepper(well 1/2 of it). So my personal choices have precluded me from making a good recommendation here.

What I will say however is, when you do decide to partake in an alcoholic beverage take it SLOW. Before surgery I could easily handle 6 mixed drinks & barely even feel a buzz. I had 2 drinks about 3 weeks ago and I could barely walk.

At about 9 weeks out I ordered a glass of red wine. As carbs and calories go, it's about as good as it gets (which doesn't make alcohol a good choice per se!). I drank SUPER slow, and only drank maybe half in a couple hours. I was fine. A little warm at some point, but not falling over drunk. Since then I've had a glass maybe once a week of there's an occasion that calls for it (work dinner, celebration, etc) and no probs and I'm at 11 wks. I did have a ***ht this week where I had nearly three glasses and didn't feel wrecked...but felt crappy enough the next day that I wouldnt do it again. Made me dehydrated and felt like I was catching up on Water for days

Oh! And my dr recommends an extra Prilosec a couple hours before drinking

Thank you. I'm well aware it is empty calories. I never drink a beer because of the health benefits, and, like I said, I was not a big drinker to begin with. I follow all the rules. What about a small glass of wine? Anyone tried that??

Really, no judgement here. I enjoy the occasional drink, or 2 or 3...hence knowing how much it can affect you! I have not tried wine, but I have had caesars because there is no pop in them. Because it is a liquid, it goes down no problem. You could try drinking the beer if you are really craving it, but you most likely only get 2 sips in and have to leave the rest and that would just be so sad. :(

Wait, there are health benefits to beer? Heh heh.

I have a function at about 8 weeks and my doc said stay away from the champs but a little wine is ok to try....but see how it feels because it might irrite my new stomach. White and red both have about five carbs for a six ounce glass so they aren't terrible for you (unless we are talking fortified wines or ice wine). But the carbonation in champs (as well as beer) is likely going to hurt.

My surgeon said no more alcohol. Period. I tend to agree with him: it's empty calories and bad for your health. This whole process is about making lifestyle changes to get you healthy. And despite what the advertisements and the "studies" will have you believe, alcohol is no health drink.

My surgeon said no more alcohol. Period. I tend to agree with him: it's empty calories and bad for your health. This whole process is about making lifestyle changes to get you healthy. And despite what the advertisements and the "studies" will have you believe, alcohol is no health drink.

Neither is a whole lot of other things, but it doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed in moderation.

Really, no judgement here. I enjoy the occasional drink, or 2 or 3...hence knowing how much it can affect you! I have not tried wine, but I have had caesars because there is no pop in them. Because it is a liquid, it goes down no problem. You could try drinking the beer if you are really craving it, but you most likely only get 2 sips in and have to leave the rest and that would just be so sad. :(

Supersweetums, as soon as I saw you post about drinking "Caesars", I immediately knew you must be Canadian! This drink is not widely know to our U.S. friends!

For those unaware, the drink is called a Bloody Caesar and it's essentially a Blood Mary, but instead of using straight Tomato juice, the "filler" is a mix of tomato juice and clam juice (also known as Clamato juice). All the other ingredients are essentially the same (vodka, Tabasco, salt, pepper, Worchestershire sauce). The rim of the glass is coated with celery salt, and usually garnished with either olives or a celery stick, and a slice of lime.

Before you freak out and say "OMG, clam juice? Yuck!"....it's surprisingly good tasting, and extremely popular here in Canada. We can even buy the pre-made mix in various ****e levels (mild, medium and HOT) in the grocery store and all you have to do is add vodka, a few ice cubes, and enjoy!

FYI, I found this great explanation of how alcohol is metabolized in the body.

If you don't have any chemistry training or background, don't get too bogged down in the first part of the page, it's all chemical symbols, etc. There is a wealth of knowledge later in the page that the average lay person will understand and appreciate though.

Some of my favourites (you learn something new every day!):

Women:
If a woman and a man of the same weight drink the same amount of alcohol under the exact same circumstances, the woman will on the average have a much higher
than the man. This is because women have much less of the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase in their stomachs than men do. If the same man and woman are given an injection of alcohol instead of drinking it they will tend to have the same
. This is because when the alcohol is injected it bypasses the alcohol dehydrogenase in the stomach.

Why You Shouldn’t Drink on an Empty Stomach

The surface area of the human stomach is only a couple of square feet, but because the small intestine has protrusions called villi, the surface area of the small intestine is thousands and thousands of square feet. Because of this fact the small intestine is many, many times more efficient than the stomach at absorbing alcohol. If you want the alcohol to be absorbed into the bloodstream slowly so that your BAC will only rise slowly, your best bet is to keep the alcohol in the stomach for as long as possible. This actually can be done. There is a valve between the stomach and the small intestine called the pyloric valve, and when this valve is closed the alcohol will stay in the stomach. This valve stays closed when the stomach is full of food. So this is why eating a full meal helps keep you from becoming rapidly intoxicated. Fatty foods and heavy foods tend to stay in the stomach longer than vegetables or sugars. Bluesman
spoke the truth when he said "If you eat a lot of fat meat you don't get so drunk." This was his formula for maintaining when he played at parties where the booze flowed all ***ht long.

Carbonation:
Carbonation speeds the absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream. People drinking carbonated drinks will become intoxicated more quickly and achieve higher BACs than people dinking the same amount of alcohol per hour in the form of non-carbonated drinks. There is, however, a trade-off here because many people drink carbonated drinks more slowly than non-carbonated drinks.

Diet Soda:
Diet soda interacts with alcohol too, so people who drink mixed drinks made with diet soda will become intoxicated more quickly and achieve higher BACS than people drinking identical drinks made with regular soda. Researchers in Adelaide, Australia found that the stomach emptied into the small intestine in 21.1 minutes for the people who drank mixed drinks made with diet soda. When people drank drinks made with regular soda, the stomach emptied in 36.3 minutes (P <.01). Peak blood alcohol concentration was 0.053 g% for the diet drinks and 0.034 g% with the regular drinks.

Alcohol and Blood Sugar

Although alcohol may cause a slight rise in blood sugar levels when initially ingested--the overall effect of alcohol is to cause a drop in blood sugar. The more you drink the more the blood sugar drops. Eating before, during or after drinking can help to alleviate this blood sugar drop somewhat. Drinks with lots of carbs like beer or mixed drinks with sugary mixers can lead to blood sugar spikes preceding the blood sugar drop.

Because of alcohol's effect on blood sugar people with diabetes are recommended to have no more than one or two standard drinks per day and to avoid drinks high in carbs. Untreated diabetes can lead to severe consequences including blindness, amputation of limbs affected by gangrene and even death--so diabetics are recommended to be especially cautious about their alcohol intake.

I feel compelled to also contribute to this conversation given my background in behavioral health. But first, I must say, I like to enjoy a drink here and there as well :)

But I thought I would share some very interesting research that is out about the increased rates of alcohol addiction of those who have had bariatric surgeries. Something to think about (I know I do and will continue to think about). It makes sense with a smaller stomach. I don't have all the details on it but I find it absolutely intriguing as what we know is that there is a strong genetic factor but with those with bariatric surgery, your risk goes up - even without the genetic factors playing a role (so if they do, I'm sure that it's even higher).

Anyway- that's my lil' lecture (actually not trying to be). I JUST told my husband I think one day when I'm ready to have a drink I'll let mine fizz down. I love the Schmirnoff's- Grape. Tastes like Grape Jolly Good pop. But again, I'm not a big drinker. Maybe a handful of times per year at best.

The truth is: I'm such a freak and will probably follow doctor's order to a "T" because I'll be too scared to do anything else. :P