Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Pediatric home health nurse here, getting sleeved in three weeks! Pre-op diet is started, everything is ready to go...but I feel tremendously guilty about leaving patients for an extended period.

Feeling guilty just shows that you are a good nurse. Your health improving with make you even better. Good luck.

Hi, my name is JJ I've been a nurse for 23yrs. Work in the ER, traveled for 10 yrs and now work close to home. Being sleeved on July 1st! Excited and nervous both.

My name is Belinda. I am a RN. Worked in NICU,Peds, and Geriatrics. Started out as a CNA working in LTC for 10 plus years before graduating from nursing school. Excited about going to Mexico for lapband to sleeve revision. I have not set a date yet. I look forward to sharing my journey with you.

Hi Nurses I am not a nurse but I thought this might be a good thread for me to ask some questions of you all if you don't mind.

I am try to get the sleeve and saw the WL surgeon on June 17th for the first of 6 months of supervised diet. .My PCP is working with this surgeon. Both the PCP and the surgeon looked at my tummy and asked me to get a CT for the possible hernia we all thought I have. The PCP set up the CT and I had it on Wednesday. On Thursday the PCP called me in. I do not see the WL surgeon again until the 22nd of July. After what the PCP told me I am really scared I may not even qualify any more for the sleeve.

I was told I have a porcelain gallbladder in addition to the hernia. Plus the CT showed a 9mm nodule on my lung, a tumor in my urinary bladder, and acute kidney failure with lesion of renal medullary necrosis.

I am 59 years old and weigh 342 after having lost over 155 pounds on my own. I had no symptoms what so ever so I am shocked all this was shown in the CT.

Would any of you wonderful Nurses know what my future looks like with these issues? Thank you so much for any replies I do get. I didn't find any other group of people who might have the knowledge of these issues than you all.

I'm sorry to hear all this. Talk about a shock! Porcelain gallbladder refers to calcification of the gallbladder, commonly related to gallstones. As far as the tumor goes, no one can really comment on that as further testing is in order. Renal failure can be from multiple causes and can be treated and maybe even resolved depending on the cause. Good luck to you. Hoping that you get better medical news soon.

Any home health nurses out there. I travel to 6-8 patients a day 3 days a week. Most of the time skipping lunch. My question is how do you eat during the day. How do you have time. I know it can take a very long time to eat or drink a shake. Also how do you keep you food cool in the summer. I live in Houston and my car can get 100°f. I will be sleeved in September. Just wanted to see how your day goes. Thank you guys. Nurses Rock!!!!

Stacy1204,

I am a NP house calls provider and I know your pain. I see at least 6 patients a day myself. I am in the process of my 3 month supervised weight loss period now. I pack a cooler from Thirty One. It keep cool my Protein Shakes from Adkins as well as cheese sticks, V8 juice (6 oz cans), yogurt etc. I put a refreezable pack in with them and keep it zipped up unless I'm getting something out. I also freeze a water bottle that half full and finishing filling with Water in the am for the day. It lasts practically all day.

I hope to be sleeved but not sure if my insurance will pay for that procedure...may be having RNY....or lapband is my last choice d/t my bmi.

Hoping all goes well in September. I know you will do great!!!

Rhonda

Thanks Rhonda. I will look up the cooler. Those are some very helpful tips. Hope all goes well for you as well!!

Hi, I'm Ashley! I've been a nurse for 11 years and the bulk of that has been in the OR.

I'm currently the day charge nurse for a 6 suite Level 2 Trauma OR.

I've circulated my surgeon's cases before and have had the opportunity to see her do a sleeve.

I have two little ones (7,5) and have been through hell and back with my youngest, as he was born with Biliary Atresia and received a liver transplant when he was 6 months old.

I am recently separated from their father...his choice.

Needless to say, life is stressful for this girl.

BUT, I am looking forward to a new chapter in my life and not turning to food to comfort me!!

Hi Everyone! I've been an RN for 4 years now. Most of that time spent working Intermediate care, with one year in Oncology.

I will be sleeved on August 7th, 2015. I looked at the calendar yesterday and realized my 2 week preop starts next Friday and I am freaking out just a little bit!

I have a back injury that is really slowing me down and I'm hoping that loosing the weight will help.

I'm really happy to have found this group!

Edited by Aria622

Hi, my apologies, I started this forum & went AWOL! Let me share a bit about my journey. I lost 60 pounds with my sleeve & have kept off between 50-55 pounds since then. Really pleased with the surgery but 3 years later it is just a tool. Your mind has to be ready to change & the fight is the same every day. Will check in more often, as it helps to encourage me as well! Thanks, Jana

Hi there. .. I have been involved in nursing for 26 years. ..started as a LPN, then went back to school to get my degree in nursing. I have been an RN for 20 years since. I am considering gastric sleeve surgery and have started the beginning appointments with my Dr. who in turn has sent off a referral to a Bariatric surgeon and clinic. I have been researching and reading and am finding this site amazing in all its stories, heartfelt testemonies, information and facts.

Like mostly everyone else I have been contemplating this method of weight loss for over a year now. As a nurse I always felt I wouldn't want to have surgery unless absolutely necessary. . And now I feel this is "my necessary ".

Hoping to meet lots of you, make connections, and learn from everyone from this forum. .. bonus I can connect with my fellow sister nurses!

I am from Canada. . I live in a small town in southern Alberta and look forward to meeting you all.

Take care of yourselves... Brenda

Welcome FUTURESOBRIGHT!

I am now retired from Nursing after 34 years. I had my sleeve December 2014. I would be lying if I said it's been a breeze. This past month has been the hardest yet. I have had not cravings or actual hunger, but I feel a need for something where before I would've eaten. Now I realize what it is, I can't say that I can just not eat. I have to really work at self control. I've been in a stall within 5 pounds of 195 for at least a month. I'm trying to step up my exercise times and intensity to see if that helps. I'm down 61 pounds. Yay, ME!!!

Wow. ..61 pounds. ..good for you. Thanks for your reply, nice to meet you. You said you would be lying if you said it has been a breeze. ...what kind of things are you talking about? I want to hear about your challenges if you don't mind sharing. My goal weight is 145 -150. I also need to loose 60-65lbs. Thanks again!

I am 10 weeks post op. Ive been an ICU nurse for 2 years and have been working for a resource/float tema on a contract in a step down unit for 6 months.

Working 12 hours shifts in a super busy unit is getting to be too much. I'm not able to even get a lunch most days. So I drink a Protein Shake at 6am and then don't eat or drink anything again until 1830 some days. I'm thinking of switching to something a little less demanding. :-(